Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Christmas footprint

shipping trees landfills

3 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:45 AM

When we consider the footprint Christmas has on the planet, it is staggering.
Travel, meals, shipping, trees, gifts, landfills bursting at the seams...............

Unbelievable stats here for our consumption. (I know- call me Ebenezer)
but it's mind boggling.
http://www.theecolog..._christmas.html

#2 omkar1991

omkar1991

Regular

• Shifter
  • 94 posts 6 rep

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:01 AM

It is not just Christmas, it is any festival for that matter. Here in India, we have a lot of festivals throughout the year, and you should see the amount of pollution - air, water, and sound - it generates, each and every time. Not to mention a lot of resources being wasted as well, as they are carried out on a bigger and bigger scale, year after year.

#3 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:24 AM

I could say that just like here...
We also have so many festivals throughout a year and so aside from Christmas and New year, there are some other days that there are so many garbage and so many pollutants just like air pollutants through fireworks. Humans would really leave a mass of any celebration footprint and that was really alarming.

#4 Pushhyarag2000

Pushhyarag2000

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 141 posts 5 rep

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:16 AM

Quite disconcerting facts there in the article but very good green suggestions too. It is not Christmas alone but almost every other festival in any part of the world perhaps that is pain for the planet as the article puts it. :sad: Fortunately, there is some good awareness, for example in India, for the festival of lights, the enthusiasm for burning crackers has changed to responsible restraint. There is less pollution both noise and the harmful chemicals that we have noticed. :smile:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users