Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Make the Shift to Living Green-365 days a year. Tips

61 replies to this topic

#1 Hayden

Hayden

Admin

• Global Moderator
  • 1,489 posts 72 rep

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:03 PM

Special thanks to contributors thus far: Shortpoet-GTD, mariaandrea, zararina and Pushhyarag2000.

This thread will be an ongoing thread where we all can join in by replying with our tips and suggestions for 366 ways to be green(er). We will strive to make this list 366 "useful" ways to be green. I think in time we should have a pretty complete list.

As you reply with suggestions below I will edit the original thread with your entry and credit will be listed at the bottom of this thread for all accepted suggestions.

I'll start with the first one, green is users for comments:
  • Visit & participate in the AltEnergyShift.com forums. :wink:
  • Recycle (additional specific recycle tips needed)
  • Buy and use recycled products.
  • Install CFL's or LEDs.
  • Power strip all electrical equipment (except frig) and use the off switch when away or bedtime.
  • Garden (additional specific gardening tips needed).
  • Wash in cold, hang dry (summer) drying rack (winter)-also adds humidity to the air.
  • Clean with baking soda and vinegar; steam cleaners. Eliminate chemical cleaners.
  • Insulate, Insulate. Insulate.
  • Check all rooms for nooks/crannies-drafts. Heat loss-a/c can be high through small holes.
  • Check pipes coming in, window frames, doors, electrical plugs on outside walls. Plug kits are available or just use leftover pieces of insulation.
  • Turn down thermostat in winter, add a sweater or robe.
  • Turn up thermostat in summer, use fans to help circulate the air.
  • Shade the air condition unit. Works harder in full sun.
  • Plant trees.
  • Eliminate grass.(No water wasted/no mowing with gas mowers.) Plant native plants in your area that are drought tolerant.
  • Use compost.
  • Install a counter-top water filter. Better than using bottled water. Even if you recycle the plastic bottles, you're still using more oil/gas for those bottles.
  • Reusable bags for shopping.
  • If the label on your food has more than 3 ingredients, the rest is chemicals and fillers.
  • Buy local.
  • Buy farmers market.
  • Keep your car tuned up, tires checked for pressure. Less mpg with low tires.
  • Low flow toilet/shower. Or put a full liter plastic bottle in toilet. Less water to flush.
  • Buy organics.
  • Have the kids unplug cell phones/games-etc. after they're charged up and unplug chargers.
  • Switch to wind up or battery clocks vs. electric clocks.
  • If you have remote controls for ceiling fans or sky lights, install power strip bars on those too.
  • Save a small bundle of old newspapers for window cleaning. Streak free, and better than wasting paper towels.
  • Use thin cotton towels (organic if possible) for cleaning chores, and the same for drying towels vs. paper towels. If they're thin, they dry out between uses, so no fear of bacteria between uses.
  • Tablespoon or two of used coffee on house plants periodically; gives them a small boost, helps loosen compacted soil when it's mixed in.
  • Urge your apartment owners to install l.e.d.'s or cfl's in common areas.
  • Take the stairs in apartments, exercise and save electricity.
  • Use environmentally friendly litters for you kitties.
  • Cut back or eliminate meat/pork/chicken can products for your cats/dogs.
  • Walk or bike whenever possible vs. jumping in the car.
  • Consider natural products first; twines, rope, ribbons vs. man made versions
  • Grow houseplants that are known to clean indoor air
  • Grow an organic indoor herb garden
  • Install weatherstripping around drafty doors and windows
  • Reuse rain water just like for cleaning the garage, washing door mats, flushing the toilet and watering the plants.
  • Buy and use glass wares rather than plastic wares that are disposable.
  • Hand wash clothes
  • Start or join a seed saving program for flowers that are local to your area.
  • Plant flowers or bushes that attract bees and butterflies.
  • Install a bat house.
  • Bury iron scrap around trees instead of using man made fertilizers.
  • Use reel push mowers or electric trimmers instead of gas powered lawn mowers.
  • Leave your car behind at home & use public transport as much as possible
  • If not feasible to use public transport, car pool
  • Conduct energy audit of all public water supply systems & implement energy efficiency measures
  • Mandate rain water harvesting in all buildings, especially large public & commercial buidlings
  • Use less water while during personal hygiene.
  • Organize a neighborhood car pool day for shopping/going to the farmers market. Saves gas, and let's you chat up with friends.
  • If you have an elderly or disabled neighbor or a veteran that needs your help with picking up some items, volunteer to add the items. "Many hands make light work."
  • Donate clothes/household items to shelter stores that help woman and their kids get back on their
    feet from an abusive situation. Or just a regular second hand store.
  • Eliminate your lawn. Stop slaving over a hot lawn mower every weekend, gas/oil-emissions.
    Plant a zero-scape yard or plants native to your area/ground-covers.
    Heat resistant plants won't need as much water either.
  • Collect rainwater (probably already mentioned) but use that rainwater to water the ground-covers or native plants once you've gotten rid of the grass.
  • Spring cleaning
  • Leave the car behind is not only a great principle to living green because it helps reducing pollution, but also contributes to health.
  • Going through the public transport let you exercise your muscles, and even best if you can substitute transportation by walking whenever possible.
  • Use vinagar as a weed killer instead of pesticides. You can also use vinagar to clean windows and in the laundry to help remove stubborn odors.
  • Final rinse-laundry. Removes soap buildup/residues.
  • Final rinse-for your hair while showering. Removes soaps/shampoos buildup. Shower glass doors. Or shower curtain; launder with no soap-just vinegar to remove buildup.
  • Coffee maker clean-up. Run a full pot of vinegar through. Rinse. Save vinegar for another use later.
  • Ladies personal care products. Don't waste money or your health on man-made chemical personal cleaners. Add 2-3 tablespoons of vinegar to hot tea and honey. Will help restore your levels/balance in your GI tract.
  • Use you dishwasher instead of hand washing your dishes.
  • Only use the washing machine if you have a full load of laundry.
  • Open up the windows during the summer instead of using the air conditioner.
  • Car pool instead of driving.
  • Be sure to recycle all of your paper instead of throwing your paper in the garbage, this includes school papers and mail.
  • Learning to make our own sustainable products is a good way to make the shift because it's the only way to ensure your products meet your green living expectations.
  • Buy second hand clothes.
Keep them coming... Lets make the Shift together!

Edited by Shortpoet-GTD, 19 May 2013 - 04:45 AM.
updated

#2 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:21 PM

(Posted previously, but worth a re-post. :biggrin:

1-Recycle
2-Install cfl's or led.s
3-Power strip all electrical equipment (except frig) and use the off switch when away or bedtime.
4-Most e-items power up quickly. Beware the vampires.
5-Garden
6-Wash in cold, hang dry (summer) drying rack (winter)-also adds humidity to the air.
7-Keep a large bucket in the shower/tub to hold water as you wait for it to heat up. Water plants, or
water a tree outside with it.
8-Clean with baking soda and vinegar; steam cleaners. Eliminate chemical cleaners.
9-Insulate, Insulate. Insulate.
10-Check all rooms for nooks/crannies-drafts. Heat loss-a/c can be high through small holes.
11-Check pipes coming in, window frames, doors, electrical plugs on outside walls. Plug kits are available
or just use leftover pieces of insulation.
12-Turn down thermostat in winter, add a sweater or robe.
13-Turn up thermostat in summer, use fans to help circulate the air.
14-Shade a/c; they have to work harder in full sun.
15-Plant trees.
16-Eliminate grass.(No water wasted/no mowing with gas mowers.) Plant native plants in your area that are drought tolerant.
17-Compost.
18-Install a counter-top water filter. Better than using bottled water. Even if you recycle the plastic bottles,
you're still using more oil/gas for those bottles.
19-Reusable bags for shopping.
20- If the label on your food has more than 3 ingredients, the rest is chemicals and fillers.
21-Buy local.
22- Buy farmers market.
23- Keep your car tuned up, tires checked for pressure. Less mpg with low tires.
24- Low flow toilet/shower. Or put a full liter plastic bottle in toilet. Less water to flush.
25- Buy organics.
26- Have the kids unplug cell phones/games-etc. after they're charged up and unplug chargers.
27- Switch to wind up or battery clocks vs. electric clocks.
:biggrin:

#3 Hayden

Hayden

Admin

• Global Moderator
  • 1,489 posts 72 rep

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:12 PM

Will add now. Awesome!

Edit: post updated.

#4 Hayden

Hayden

Admin

• Global Moderator
  • 1,489 posts 72 rep

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:17 PM

bump :smile:  Any more?

#5 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

28- If you have remote controls for ceiling fans or sky lights, install power strip bars on those too. Vampires.
29- Save  a small bundle of old newspapers for window cleaning. Streak free, and better than wasting paper towels.
30- Use thin cotton towels (organic if possible) for cleaning chores, and the same for drying towels
vs. paper towels. If they're thin, they dry out between uses, so no fear of bacteria between uses.
31- Tablespoon or two of used coffee on house plants periodically; gives them a small boost, helps
loosen compacted soil when it's mixed in.
32-Urge your apartment owners to install l.e.d.'s or cfl's in common areas.
33- Take the stairs in apartments, exercise and save electricity.
34- Use environmentally friendly litters for you kitties.
35- Cut back or eliminate meat/pork/chicken can products for your cats/dogs.
36- Walk or bike whenever possible vs. jumping in the car.
37- Consider natural products first; twines, rope, ribbons vs. man made versions.

#6 Hayden

Hayden

Admin

• Global Moderator
  • 1,489 posts 72 rep

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:27 PM

List updated.

#7 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:07 PM

Grow houseplants that are known to clean indoor air
Grow an organic indoor herb garden
Install weatherstripping around drafty doors and windows

#8 GreenQueen

GreenQueen

Curious

• Shifter
  • 40 posts 1 rep

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:17 AM

These are some great ways. I work with a group who go out to homes and
teach people in the neighborhood how to be more energy efficient. These are
some great tips to give.

#9 omkar1991

omkar1991

Regular

• Shifter
  • 94 posts 6 rep

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:40 AM

Great thread! Keep it coming people! Even if all of us implement some of these ideas, it would be so much better to live on earth!

#10 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:49 AM

- Reuse rain water just like for cleaning the garage, washing door mats, flushing the toilet and watering the plants.
- Buy and use glass wares rather than plastic wares that are disposable.
- Hand wash clothes

#11 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:10 AM

If you know someone that wants to recycle items but cannot for disability or health reasons, do it for them.

#12 Hayden

Hayden

Admin

• Global Moderator
  • 1,489 posts 72 rep

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:30 PM

Thanks guys. I'll be updating this shortly.

#13 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:08 AM

39-Start or join a seed saving program for flowers that are local to your area.
40- Plant flowers or bushes that attract bees and butterflies/
41- Install a bat house.
42- Bury iron scrap around trees instead of using man made fertilizers.
43- Use reel push mowers or electric trimmers instead of gas powered lawn mowers. If possible, eliminate
lawn completely, plant with native flowers, or zero scape with stone and/or driftwood.

#14 cjw518

cjw518

Curious

• Shifter
  • 17 posts 2 rep

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:45 PM

I'm particularly interested in greening up my health/beauty products. For example, I love coconut oil as a moisturizer and (believe or not) in place of toothpaste. I also absolutely adore having replaced traditional shampoo with baking soda. Both changes have made me feel better about the environment *and* my health. (I've got a recipe for the baking soda shampoo, if anyone wants it!)

ETA: Oh! And apple cider vinegar in place of conditioner! :)

Edited by cjw518, 12 December 2011 - 02:46 PM.

#15 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:47 PM

View Postcjw518, on 12 December 2011 - 02:45 PM, said:

(I've got a recipe for the baking soda shampoo, if anyone wants it!)

Yes please. I want it. :)
I've replaced household cleaners with homemade ones and a few skin treatments, but I'm I'd like to find a good shampoo recipe. I've tried a few with mixed success.

#16 cjw518

cjw518

Curious

• Shifter
  • 17 posts 2 rep

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:30 PM

View Postmariaandrea, on 12 December 2011 - 02:47 PM, said:

I've replaced household cleaners with homemade ones and a few skin treatments, but I'm I'd like to find a good shampoo recipe. I've tried a few with mixed success.

Hi, mariaandrea! Here's the link to the recipe, there's a recipe for both a wet shampoo and a dry one. Let me know what you think!

#17 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:39 PM

Thank you for that! I'm going to try the wet shampoo. My daughter is a big fan of dry shampooing and she's going to try the dry recipe. I can't believe how easy and simple and earth friendly it is. I'll let you know how it works for us.

#18 GreenQueen

GreenQueen

Curious

• Shifter
  • 40 posts 1 rep

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:49 PM

View Postmariaandrea, on 12 December 2011 - 02:47 PM, said:

I want it too please! No more making bombs for my hair. =)

#19 Hayden

Hayden

Admin

• Global Moderator
  • 1,489 posts 72 rep

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:13 AM

updated. Keep suggestions coming. We can do it! :thumbsup:

#20 Pushhyarag2000

Pushhyarag2000

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 141 posts 5 rep

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:31 AM

# Leave your car behind at home & use public transport as much as possible
# If not feasible to use public transport, car pool
# Conduct energy audit of all public water supply systems & implement energy efficiency measures
# Mandate rain water harvesting in all buildings, especially large public & commercial buidlings

My few-if not in the list, as I hope!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users