Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

The FDA Wants to Ban Supplements!

24 replies to this topic

#1 Belligerent

Belligerent

Curious

• Shifter
  • 25 posts 4 rep

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:28 AM

Has anyone heard about this atrocity?

Here is an article on the details: http://www.ktradionetwork.com/government/fda-set-to-ban-your-supplements/

Here are some key quotes from the article:

You can find the FDA Draft Guidance on New Dietary Ingredients (NDI’s) here. If implemented, some of the most effective nutrients you are taking will be removed from the market. This includes many fish oil formulas and natural plant extracts.

In order for these ingredients you are using today to return to the market, the FDA will require manufacturers to conduct outrageously expensive studies using absurdly high doses, in some situations multiplied by a “safety factor” up to 2,000-times the recommended dosage on a per product basis.

To give you an example, each manufacturer of certain fish oils would have to conduct a one year study where animals would have to consume the human equivalent of 240,000 milligrams each day of fish oil.
Another option under the FDA’s proposed mandates is to conduct a 90-day, 1,000 – fold safety margin study in which two species of animals, one being non-rodent – likely young beagle dogs, will theoretically consume the equivalent of 2.4 million milligrams of fish oil daily. We know of virtually no species can tolerate this high dose, so by default, FDA guidelines will make it impossible for certain omega-3 supplements to be sold. (Note typical dose of EPA/DHA people take each day is around 2,400 mg—100 times less than what the FDA proposes must be tested.)
Since these are not patented drugs, no supplement maker will be able to afford these “safety” studies, which means that many of the nutrients you now purchase at low prices will convert into high-priced drugs.

There is much more to the article, which I urge you all to read.
What are your thoughts?

#2 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:35 AM

I cannot find anything on the net or on the FDA site to substantiate this mans claim.
Are other links available?
This could be total BS unless we (consumers) can substantiate the claim. :wacko:

#3 jacobnomi

jacobnomi

• Shifter
  • 7 posts 0 rep

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:09 PM

I have not researched this particular article, but I do have strong feelings on this type of proposal by the FDA. In the past they have targeted amino acids, vitamins and other natural products, however, they do not address the use of many chemicals and additives in foods. The FDA has given artificial sweeteners a pass for many years, while blocking stevia until just recently. There should be an examination of the influence of corporate lobbyists on the FDA. Those of us who are into natural medicine and healing are often targeted.

#4 steph84

steph84

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 265 posts 12 rep

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:47 PM

Great post! I am totally passionate about this topic. My family owned a health food store for a few years and my mom has worked in the industry for over 25 years. The FDA always makes threats like this. The only reason why they want to regulate vitamins and supplements is because they start to notice that they are missing out on that pharma money. They just want to tap into this market and don't care about healing or preventing illness for people. It's such a shame.

#5 SifuPhil

SifuPhil

• Shifter
  • 9 posts 2 rep

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:47 AM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 29 November 2011 - 10:35 AM, said:

I cannot find anything on the net or on the FDA site to substantiate this mans claim.
Are other links available?
This could be total BS unless we (consumers) can substantiate the claim. :wacko:
Draft Guidance on NDI

FDA's Own Site

They've been after the Chinese herb market for a long time - this is nothing new to those of us in Traditional Chinese Medicine ...

#6 karmaman

karmaman

Regular

• Shifter
  • 56 posts 5 rep

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:58 AM

They recently did something like this in Europe and it put quite a few reputable and helpful wild herb gatherings out of business. This is also going to kill a lot of rats and other test animals, which is a shame because we already know that mega doses of these supplements are dangerous. Why does the FDA have to regulate the dangers of taking a whole bottle of fish oil capsules at once when they're letting cholesterol and blood pressure medicines on the market that have been proven to have no positive effects and a whole slew of dangerous side effects?

#7 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:50 AM

JFC!
A lot of jobs will be lost...............
but not for the attorney's.
Posted Image

#8 Belligerent

Belligerent

Curious

• Shifter
  • 25 posts 4 rep

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:15 PM

View PostSifuPhil, on 30 November 2011 - 07:47 AM, said:

Draft Guidance on NDI

FDA's Own Site

They've been after the Chinese herb market for a long time - this is nothing new to those of us in Traditional Chinese Medicine ...

Thanks for the info Phil!

The pharma industry wants to ban herbs and supplements (or atleast what they can) because they are very valuable as far as preventable health goes (as well as treating current problems too). If you do the research, the ties of the FDA and the Pharma Industry are undeniable.

#9 MakingCents

MakingCents

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 335 posts 23 rep

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

I've been hearing rumblings of this for some time.  Just another example of big brother and the big pharm taking over the world.  Disgusting.  We're going to have people going to canada and mexico just to get things like vitamin d.  How safe does that seem FDA?

#10 Belligerent

Belligerent

Curious

• Shifter
  • 25 posts 4 rep

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:00 PM

View PostMakingCents, on 02 December 2011 - 08:34 PM, said:

I've been hearing rumblings of this for some time.  Just another example of big brother and the big pharm taking over the world.  Disgusting.  We're going to have people going to canada and mexico just to get things like vitamin d.  How safe does that seem FDA?

And tons of dangerous prescription meds are kept on the market. I just don't get it. How many times have you heard of someone dying from too many supplements? Yes, it is possible.. in mass quantities, but who is going to do that? I'd say focus on the prescription meds that do kill people.

#11 MakingCents

MakingCents

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 335 posts 23 rep

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:36 PM

View PostBelligerent, on 03 December 2011 - 01:00 PM, said:

And tons of dangerous prescription meds are kept on the market. I just don't get it. How many times have you heard of someone dying from too many supplements? Yes, it is possible.. in mass quantities, but who is going to do that? I'd say focus on the prescription meds that do kill people.

But if we did that all the pharmaceutical companies wouldn't make any money... that's what's driving this, it's so obvious.  Don't mess with big business  :unsure:

#12 sbjc

sbjc

Curious

• Shifter
  • 29 posts 0 rep

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:33 AM

Supplements should not be banned. People are not getting enough nutrients, minerals and all essential factors from what people eat. People need supplements because supplements provide the things that one's body lacks. So, I think, it is a must for people to use supplements. There is no reason for supplements to get banned.

#13 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:48 AM

View Postsbjc, on 07 December 2011 - 12:33 AM, said:

Supplements should not be banned. People are not getting enough nutrients, minerals and all essential factors from what people eat. People need supplements because supplements provide the things that one's body lacks. So, I think, it is a must for people to use supplements. There is no reason for supplements to get banned.
Problem being, "supplements" covers a wide range of products.  Ephedra, for instance was sold as a diet
aid, but some people died after taking it. The FDA banned sales, but strangely, it's still available on the
net if you Google the word.
http://ods.od.nih.go...on/ephedra.aspx

#14 MakingCents

MakingCents

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 335 posts 23 rep

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:54 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 07 December 2011 - 03:48 AM, said:

Problem being, "supplements" covers a wide range of products.  Ephedra, for instance was sold as a diet
aid, but some people died after taking it. The FDA banned sales, but strangely, it's still available on the
net if you Google the word.
http://ods.od.nih.go...on/ephedra.aspx

Yes of course, the FDA should have the right to REGULATE supplements.  But things such as vitamin D, echinachea, vitmin C, vitamin A etc.  that show NO ILL side effects has no need to be regulated or suspended.

#15 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:19 AM

What's the status on this bill?

#16 Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 329 posts 34 rep

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

Supplements should certainly be regulated. While there are some quality products on the market, there are also a lot of inferior supplements, and it's difficult for the lay person to work out what's good and what's worthless. If there were minimum standards, then at least it would be easier for the consumer. Banning things just sends them underground - it makes more sense to introduce regulations to standardise supplements.

#17 MakingCents

MakingCents

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 335 posts 23 rep

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

I woudl be all for an agency that can regulate, seperate the organic from the non and the good brands from the bad.  But getting rid of them will only make them more dangerous.

#18 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:12 AM

View PostSandra Piddock, on 29 February 2012 - 12:30 PM, said:

Supplements should certainly be regulated. While there are some quality products on the market, there are also a lot of inferior supplements, and it's difficult for the lay person to work out what's good and what's worthless. If there were minimum standards, then at least it would be easier for the consumer. Banning things just sends them underground - it makes more sense to introduce regulations to standardise supplements.
Oh don't let the gop hear you say the R word. :laugh:

#19 redstarr

redstarr

Curious

• Shifter
  • 15 posts 0 rep

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

Supplements are the only way that many people get the vitamins and minerals that they need. I try to get all of nutrients through the healthy food I choose to eat. Even with my picky eating habits it can be hard to get all of the nutrients I need without using a few additional suppliments. So many people out there that do not have healthy eatiing habits are going to be deficient in their vitamins and minerals if this comes to fruition.

#20 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

http://www.fda.gov/F...s/ucm153239.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users