Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Recycling Old Computers Is Difficult!

76 replies to this topic

#1 MercyL

MercyL

Curious

• Shifter
  • 13 posts 1 rep

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:48 AM

We have all sorts of old computer parts because we tend to build our own rather than buy them. It saves money!

I am completely scandalized at the lack of decent computer recycling companies in my area. Most recycling companies will not take the screens and many recyclers want payment before recycling!

It seems that disposing of or recycling computers properly is another profit machine for recycling businesses. The environmental benefits are not a primary consideration.

How difficult is it for you to recycle computers and computer parts in your area?

#2 karmaman

karmaman

Regular

• Shifter
  • 56 posts 5 rep

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:07 PM

No companies here are set up to recycle electronics, even if you pay them. Some of our scrap yards accept electronics, but I know that they don't do a good job of recycling them.

I read an article in a National Geographic issue that exposed the huge amount of waste produced by computers and other equipment. A lot of people in Asia and Africa become exposed to toxic metals and minerals when they strip certain materials out of electronic waste shipped to their countries.

#3 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:29 PM

Up until 2 years ago recycling anything electronic in my city cost money. They would charge you to bring in electronics for recycling. We finally got a program called E-Cyle Washington that lets you drop off computers, monitors and TVs for free at various spots for free for recycling. But that doesn't include printers, keyboards or a computer mouse. And a lot of other kinds of electronics aren't recyclable unless you want to pay a company to do it, which of course means tons of stuff still ends up in landfills. It's pretty outrageous.

#4 Neighborsboy

Neighborsboy

• Shifter
  • 9 posts 1 rep

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:52 PM

In my community we have a great recycling facility! The recycling center holds electronic recycling six times throughout the year. One has to call, in order to participate. Then just show up on one of the dates they provide and they do the rest. Which is really great, because I read on their website that there are three hundred million computers, monitors and televisions that become obsolete each year. Which is a concern we all should be thinking about! Check out their site and see what you think. I am sure this site is for our local community only, but I thought it should be posted since I refer to it.

To see their site go here:http://www.romefloydrecycles.org/

#5 kat74

kat74

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 154 posts 9 rep

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:33 PM

That is way many of these computers end up in the third world countries being sold at a cheaper price. They then end up being their problem on how to dispose them when they become unused. There must be a law which will prevent people exporting or importing computers which are a certain years old because either way they become a problem no matter where they land.

#6 Mon-Jes

Mon-Jes

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 168 posts 12 rep

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:01 AM

We're getting more and more places that will take a lot of electronics for free, although some of the yards still charge you if you want to drop stuff off. Best Buy (if you have the store in your area) will also take some, but I forget if they charge you.

#7 Germs

Germs

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 139 posts 1 rep

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:20 AM

I have a garage filled with old computer parts, nothing to do with them and nowhere to recycle.

#8 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:43 AM

In here, you could find people who would want your old computers parts and they will be glad to accept it for free. They could find ways to still have use for it like selling what could be sold in a junk shop, reuse some electronics part that can still be use in a computer or another gadgets and maybe create something out of it like decors or some form of art. :biggrin:

#9 MakingCents

MakingCents

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 335 posts 23 rep

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:47 PM

What scares me the most about this is that they then have your computer.  Not only do you have to find a company that is willing to recycle your computer, you have to find a company that you trust is actually GOING to recycle the computer, not turn around and try to pull your own personal information from it.

#10 Mon-Jes

Mon-Jes

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 168 posts 12 rep

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:48 PM

MakingCents, that's why you take the hard drive out first. Of course, then you have to get the drive itself out of the metal casing and shred the drive, but don't leave your drive in the computer!

#11 omkar1991

omkar1991

Regular

• Shifter
  • 94 posts 6 rep

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:54 AM

Whatever information might be there, it will be there only on the hard disk drive. If you take that out, and send the rest of it, you are completely safe from people trying to glean out your information from your computer. In most cases, you can re use a hard disk in your new computer if it is not already corrupted.

#12 SifuPhil

SifuPhil

• Shifter
  • 9 posts 2 rep

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:23 AM

eRecycling has become big business, especially in the gold reclamation process. Monitors are still problematic - locally here in PA we have a semi-annual drop-off at a local school; the recycling company does it for free through a contract with the township (and I believe kicking-back a little to the Powers That Be). They probably separate out the plastic, the metal and the gold; not sure what they do with the glass from the monitors.

#13 MercyL

MercyL

Curious

• Shifter
  • 13 posts 1 rep

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

View PostMakingCents, on 27 November 2011 - 07:47 PM, said:

What scares me the most about this is that they then have your computer.  Not only do you have to find a company that is willing to recycle your computer, you have to find a company that you trust is actually GOING to recycle the computer, not turn around and try to pull your own personal information from it.

I think you can prevent anyone skimming your hard drive by drilling holes in it, if you cannot remove it. A friend of mine suggested running a magnet over it, but the risk of leaving usable data behind seems higher than just destroying the disc itself.

#14 ConservativeGreen

ConservativeGreen

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:13 PM

Remember the last shuttle disaster?  They found a hard drive that had survived all that and were still able to recover data from it.  Physical destruction can be a great stress reliever, when applied at the rifle range old drives make a fun target.

#15 SifuPhil

SifuPhil

• Shifter
  • 9 posts 2 rep

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:58 PM

View PostConservativeGreen, on 30 November 2011 - 02:13 PM, said:

Remember the last shuttle disaster?  They found a hard drive that had survived all that and were still able to recover data from it.  Physical destruction can be a great stress reliever, when applied at the rifle range old drives make a fun target.
I wonder if it's technically possible to restore a hard drive after it's been shot? I guess it would have to be with a .22 and not a 12-ga. LOL!

#16 SifuPhil

SifuPhil

• Shifter
  • 9 posts 2 rep

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:03 PM

And a by-the-way: I know I'm new here and no-one has any reason to trust my judgement, but I did some work for this gentleman a while back and I think he's a reputable eScrapper. If you were to send a hard-drive to him as part of a recycle deal I'm pretty sure it's his policy to destroy the data thoroughly.

http://www.scrapmeta...Buying-E-waste.

#17 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:19 PM

View PostSifuPhil, on 30 November 2011 - 04:03 PM, said:

And a by-the-way: I know I'm new here and no-one has any reason to trust my judgement, but I did some work for this gentleman a while back and I think he's a reputable eScrapper. If you were to send a hard-drive to him as part of a recycle deal I'm pretty sure it's his policy to destroy the data thoroughly.

http://www.scrapmeta...Buying-E-waste.

That's useful information and I've bookmarked it. I actually have a few things I could send and now that I see what he's paying, I think I'll save it up, ask around for things people don't want to throw away but can't use (it's good having a lot of techie friends) and take advantage of his service.

And, I'll vouch for SifuPhil, having met him on another forum. He's a good guy. :)

#18 yoder

yoder

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:41 PM

We are lucky to have a good recycling program in the Twin Cities.  I've actually recycled more than I was supposed to be allowed in a year.  I think we also have several other commercial recycling centers, but not positive.

#19 SifuPhil

SifuPhil

• Shifter
  • 9 posts 2 rep

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

View Postmariaandrea, on 30 November 2011 - 04:19 PM, said:

That's useful information and I've bookmarked it. I actually have a few things I could send and now that I see what he's paying, I think I'll save it up, ask around for things people don't want to throw away but can't use (it's good having a lot of techie friends) and take advantage of his service.
Given the right set of circumstances you can make a pretty penny with eScrapping, but it's also a constant battle watching precious metal prices.

And, I'll vouch for SifuPhil, having met him on another forum. He's a good guy. :)
Aw, thank you m'lady - I appreciate that.

#20 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:55 AM

I remain extremely leery of folks (businesses) that say they are recycling computers, or for that matter,
electronics in general.
Too high of a percentage of this e-trash is still being shipped to Asian countries, where poor people
(mostly kids) disassemble them for the elements, and are becoming ill from exposure to the toxins.
http://www.greenpeac...e-waste-end-up/
http://news.national...onic_waste.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users