Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Occupy Wall Street

181 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:43 AM

I'm starting this thread for for all of us that are interested in taking our country back
from the super polluters that funnel their money into Earth destroying legislative bills
via congress/senate and wall street.

#OWS and all of it's affiliates is not just about money and banks.
But as we know, money/banks/lobbyists are used against us, to pollute our Earth.
Bill McKibben/350.org-Greenpeace, Sierra Club, RAN and many other green organizations
are involved and watching this movement closely.

Did you know, for example, that Bank of America is one of the biggest funders
of mountaintop removal/coal?
http://business-ethi...removal-mining/
  • Since January 2010, Bank of America, Citi, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, GE Capital, JP Morgan Chase, Morgan Stanley, PNC, UBS and Wells Fargo together provided more than $2.5 billion in loans and bonds to MTR companies.
  • The top three financiers of MTR are PNC, Citi and UBS.
  • Of the 10 banks in the report, Wells Fargo and Credit Suisse have the strongest MTR policies.
Since 2010?s MTR report card was released last spring, five banks released policies addressing mountaintop removal: JP Morgan Chase, Wells Fargo, PNC, UBS and Credit Suisse."
http://understory.ra...made-the-grade/

#2 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

http://www.npr.org/2...ted-at-berkeley

#3 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:38 PM

...This is an amazing outpouring of pent-up frustrations by the Occupiers, it is so much bigger as well, than the people in Zaccata Park and around the country, also the world. We are at a point where we are going to have to decide if we are just going to keep polluting, and keep destroying the planet  The Occupiers are the tip of the iceberg. Our country is being taken to scrap. The greed that is permeating our society is papable. From our politicians like Mitt Romney who has reversed his position on global warming to those who want to close the EPA, the Koch brothers, and others so the money can be raked in from the things they do, which are counter to preserving the earth. The banks could care less, Wall Street could care less, about people thrown out of their homes, on the street, about our air, our water, they are concerned with monies, coming from those who will fund destructive projects, to the detriment of residents, as long as their ROI increases the bottom line. We will have to fight, as the Occupiers are doing, or we will lose our right, to live on a healthy planet, in a place we can call our own.

#4 ConservativeGreen

ConservativeGreen

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:16 AM

Perhaps if that frustration were occupying Washington and every senator and congressmans hometown office we could get more accomplished.  The power to make changes is in DC.  They make the legislation that allows Wall St misconduct or creates a "penalty" that amounts to pocket change.  Both parties share equally in this, it is not D or R but rather wealth and us.  Shutting down a port makes the news, it doesn't really change anything.  Shut down DC until they act like representatives of the people  instead of their wealthy friends.

#5 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:38 AM

http://kochblocked.com/

#6 yoder

yoder

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:52 AM

I have been following and donating to the OccupyMN movement from the start.  I have been to meetings and have watched Livestreams and the stream of consciousness kinda-sorta discussions in chat rooms.  I know what these people are up against and understand that they are working for the greater good.  I also understand that they are having one heckofa time figuring out a coherent and intelligent message and method of communication that does not look unprofessional or downright juvenile.

I think that the most dangerous enemy that OccupyMN has right now is their own lack of communication skills.  They have not succeeded in finding a voice that they can use to communicate to the majority, and they are being hurt by that.

I sincerely hope they find a voice that resonates with the people.

#7 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:25 AM

I think part of the problem may be that they don't want a Democrat speaking for them.
They don't want to be taken over like the t-party was taken over by repubs/koch pushers.

As far as that goes, they probably don't want a politician speaking for them at all;
but I agree, they do need a leader.
What was that line from the movie Michael when Travolta said he invented "the gate" and before
then, everyone was just milling around, waiting to get in?Posted Image

#8 HollisterFitch

HollisterFitch

• Shifter
  • 6 posts 3 rep

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

I think this movement is amazing and it makes me feel good to be an American. This kind of thing is what the United States is built on. In other countries they don't have the luxury to question their government and some are even killed if they decided to "revolt" against their leaders so I'm blessed to live in the U.S.

#9 yoder

yoder

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:06 PM

I agree that the Occupy movements are all amazing and powerful and should be supported and I do support them.  But I also fear for their survival because I see in my own backyard (the OccupyMN and EngageMN **just a working title so far**) with severe issues related to leadership, communication, and organization.  And the really bad thing about this is that these issues are not being caused by outside forces, but are being perpetuated and exacerbated internally.

I seriously hope they are able to recover from these issues and move forward.

#10 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:07 AM

True.
That's what happened in Oakland last week.
Several radicals came in and started a mini riot, throwing bricks and starting fires.
Did they do it because they're just (fill in the blank ________with your own curse word)
or
did they do it to subvert the message of peaceful freedom of speech and assembly?
Hard to say.
I'm glad it was put down quickly.
But many #Occupy cities are now being told to vacate and that's a major issue. Don't the cops
know they're the 99% too?

#11 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:23 PM

http://occupywallst.org/

#12 cherrichiodo

cherrichiodo

Curious

• 47 posts 0 rep

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:29 PM

Occupy Oakland, I must say, is a tad bit out of control. I think the message has been lost and I hope they gain perspective soon.

#13 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:23 AM

It's not that the #Occupy movement in Oakland is out of control, it's the mayor there that's out of control.

"The decision to clear the camp, however, brought more challenges for Mayor Jean Quan, who lost two members of her executive team Monday. Her longtime friend and legal adviser, Dan Siegel, resigned because the pair were at odds over the handling of the camp; hours later, Deputy Mayor Sharon Cornu also resigned, effective immediately."
http://www.mercuryne...and/ci_19331703
How many thousands of dollars (perhaps more?) are being spent on this? The city can ill afford to continue
to use their brute force on the occupiers. Have a dozen or so there to keep the peace as needed, but let the
rest go solve crimes elsewhere in the city. Quan, imo, doesn't have the backbone to stand up and make the
decisions .
Go and talk to the occupiers at their general assembly meetings; get to know them as people and not view
them as a mob. Call for clean and sanitary conditions for sure but let them stay and speak for the 99%.
This video is from Rachel Maddow's show is an interview she had with Siegel.
"Siegel-this movement cannot be stopped."
http://www.msnbc.msn...297555#45297555
More on the topic:
http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/
At least a couple of times, Rachel has pointed out that no matter what you may think of Occupy Wall Street, its success at changing the national dialogue -as measured in the dramatic increase in the use of the phrase "corporate greed"- is undeniable.
"Corporate Greed" mentions from msm (main stream media)
8/10-9/10  164
9/10-10/10 1801

#14 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:52 AM

The police moved in at Zaccuti Park at 1 a.m. this morning, removed tents and the people, reportedly 70 were arrested. The rest marched to Manhattan. The police are said to have cleaned the park. The Occupiers said they would be back. A judge stayed the order for eviction. The Occupiers stated on their website, that thay will be shutting down Wall Street on this Thursday.

#15 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:34 AM

I mentioned the thousands of dollars being spent in my previous post?
Turns out it's over 2 million and counting-
just for Oakland alone.

Talk about a waste of taxpayer money. Geezed Louise.
"Let it be." Paul McCartney

#16 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:57 AM

Yesterday, 11/15 there was a co-ordinated effort to shut down the freedom of speech-freedom of assembly
and freedom of the press.
A conference call was set up by quan (Oakland) with 18 other major cities to shut it down.
In NYC, bloomberg restricted press coverage on the ground, and stopped coverage from news helicopters.

Teetering on the edge of destruction from climate change is bad enough but now America, is
teetering on the edge of being a dictatorship from the vested money interests in this country.

They want the corporations to be the only ones with a say; the only ones that have the power to elect
the politicians they want to elect, the only ones that will demand the policies towards dirtier air and water;
more toxic chemicals used.

Seeing those people being gut punched with billy clubs makes me ill and scared for our country.
It looks like we're degrading into North Korea territory; suppression and punishment-with no voice
against the establishment rule.

(Excellent coverage from Maddow here)
http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/

"We are here because we believe a better world is possible.
We are willing to endure mistreatment, if by doing so we can help re-enfranchise the 99% and reclaim our democracy from the stranglehold of Wall Street and the top one percent.

We will push back against billionaire Michael Bloomberg and any politician who wantonly tramples on proud
American freedoms: freedom of the press, freedom of speech, and the freedom of Americans to peaceably assemble
and petition for change.
We will overcome the obstacles placed before us.
We will not be deterred.
We will persevere.
Our message is resonating across America, and our cause is shared by millions around the world.
We are the 99%, and we want to live in a world that is for all of us — not just for those who have amassed great wealth and power.
You cannot evict an idea whose time has come."
http://occupywallst.org/

#17 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:55 AM

There was a concentrated effort it appears yesterday in Portland, Oakland, Denver and many other places, across the country, to shut down the movement. But what I think and others are reporting, is that this will only strengthen the Occupiers. As someone said this morning, you cannot shut down an idea whose time has come. Fairness is bigger than Zaccuti Park. Shortpoet, that is a tremendous amount of money.

#18 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:19 AM

Photo's from the front.
http://news.yahoo.co...-154453447.html

#19 sculptor

sculptor

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 132 posts 26 rep

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:03 PM

IMHO:
Corporations are not people, they cannot and should not vote--------circumventing this simple truism of a demcracy or republic by buying their way into the politics of our country is just wrong, and must inevitably lead to an end of the republic.

ok; a takeoff on a Tytler(?) thing

democracy, or a republic, cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the corporations, and the uber rich, discover they can acquire for themselves largesse out of the public treasury. From that moment on the corporations will always pay for the candidate promising the most benefits from the treasury with the result that democracy always collpases over a loose fiscal policy

god bless and comfort the 99'ers

#20 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:31 PM

More pics of bloodied protester / quotes from Bloomberg press conf / 177 arrests bit.ly/sBPeIJ #ows
26 journalists arrested so far in #OWS & other #Occupy protests: bit.ly/vL3wIZ
NYPD arrest Philly police retired captain Raymond Lewis at #OWS protest #N17 WATCH LIVE on.RT.com/xaq8e0 #OWS

Officers in riot gear to start clearing out #Occupy LA protesters at 4th &Figueroa- Watch #LIVE bit.ly/tIz2sQ #OWS

Occupy Wall Street National Day of Action: Live Updates From Downtown Manhattan bit.ly/vgjzXJ
Chase bank at SW Yamhill closed. Sign: "Nov. 17 2011 Due to #OccupyPortland the building has been locked
down until further notice" :laugh:
B of A shutdown in Portland, Or.
#LAPD in riot gear march towards protestors. Demonstrators link hands & peacefully in streets. Batons up. Cameras up.
Remain peaceful.
http://fieldnotes.ms...arch-nationwide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users