Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

100% Hydropower .....Awesome

21 replies to this topic

#1 jamesarh

jamesarh

• Shifter
  • 1 posts 3 rep

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:50 AM

I found this article interesting. I believe you will too.

http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_c2

Like "Green" gold!

#2 Hayden

Hayden

Admin

• Global Moderator
  • 1,489 posts 72 rep

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

This is pretty amazing. It the fact that 100% of their electricity is from hydropower and not a fraction.

#3 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:25 PM

What a wonderful story, this is like bringing the country of Bhutan into the future. That they can simplify their work, and have light in their communities is great. This will have an effect on their mental state, they are a happier people, because of this progress. Thank you for this post.

#4 Ecodisaster

Ecodisaster

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 106 posts 9 rep

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

The thing is that it can be done anywhere, and I hope more people adopt this. If it is water, not wind, it is much easier and more effective. I always wanted to do the same.
Thanks for sharing the article.

#5 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:58 AM

From the article-
"Government adviser Dasho Paljor J. Dorji worries too many dams may harm the creatures that live in the water.
"It's a shame that so much of our rivers are being tapped. The aim is good. [But] it happens so quickly. I thought that, perhaps, we might be able to leave some of our rivers, still pristine with its natural beauty instead of damming them all," Dorji said."
I agree with him. Dams can be devastating to the ecology of an area.
For instance:
http://www.scientifi...es-dam-disaster
http://www.guardian....m-china-warning

Granted, hydro is cleaner than oil or coal; but utilizing it? At what cost?

#6 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:20 AM

I believe a falls here been use to create hydropower and give electricity to the few people in a small area in a certain province here. It could be less damaging to the "life" on the waters since it was natural. There could be man made dams so that not to affect to much rivers but should be put in a "safe" area. So that it will not be a threat like if it breaks or spills. There are always pros and cons and I think proper planning and wise strategies could make pros more than the other way around.

#7 gangandealer

gangandealer

Regular

• Shifter
  • 58 posts 2 rep

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:07 PM

It is great that they are using water to create electricity, however, that space they use for water dams could be used for living habitat or animals.

#8 Germs

Germs

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 139 posts 1 rep

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:40 AM

100% all from hydro power?

Very nice, great news to hear.

#9 jasserEnv

jasserEnv

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 406 posts 45 rep

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:14 PM

The story doesn't talk in any way about measures to protect the ecosystem of the rivers being damned. It comes across as typical CNN green washing. This makes me think that the importance of the environment in Bhutan is being overshadowed by the ability to make money. I suspect that numerous aquatic species will likely go extinct as a result of this overzealous dam building activity but that we will never know.

#10 Ecodisaster

Ecodisaster

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 106 posts 9 rep

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:52 PM

View PostjasserEnv, on 23 November 2011 - 12:14 PM, said:

The story doesn't talk in any way about measures to protect the ecosystem of the rivers being damned. It comes across as typical CNN green washing. This makes me think that the importance of the environment in Bhutan is being overshadowed by the ability to make money. I suspect that numerous aquatic species will likely go extinct as a result of this overzealous dam building activity but that we will never know.

In my region, people used to survive on fish. In less than 10 years and the use of dams, the fish stopped running. The native population can't catch any fish anymore. When they go to the store, the food prices are so high they can't afford it. Either way, it gets you, in the end. Now I am all for hydropower, but I do agree with you,most of the dams affect animals and the people. Not to mention, if there is no fish, not only people will be affected, but also bears, eagles, and natural predators that live off fish.

#11 jasserEnv

jasserEnv

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 406 posts 45 rep

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:11 PM

Good point, I was too focused on just the river itself. Especially when the river is a rich provider of protein to animals living around the river, such loss of aquatic species can have significant knock on effects.

#12 Ecodisaster

Ecodisaster

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 106 posts 9 rep

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:22 PM

View PostjasserEnv, on 23 November 2011 - 02:11 PM, said:

Good point, I was too focused on just the river itself. Especially when the river is a rich provider of protein to animals living around the river, such loss of aquatic species can have significant knock on effects.

Yes that's the thing. We live in an interconnected web of life. Humans know that when one animal goes extinct, the rest can get ruined as well, that's why they put too much effort in protecting animals that are in danger of extinction. I am sure many wonder why some scientists care so much about some little insect that's going to die off, forever. Well, that insect dies, the fish and birds that feed on it die too, then the cougar, wolves, etc are affected, they have to switch foods. When these predator switch foods, farmers go crazy and decide it is time to shoot the ones that are eating their hens, cows, sheep and the like. It is all a circle we live in. It all gets to you, eventually, but of course, we are oblivious to it until it happens. It is sad what money can do.

#13 Germs

Germs

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 139 posts 1 rep

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:43 AM

View PostjasserEnv, on 23 November 2011 - 02:11 PM, said:

Never thought about the environmental damage to animals before, good point.

#14 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:21 AM

"Throughout the Southwest, and particularly in a region that I know, the Colorado River Basin, people commonly talk
about this river as though it has not run dry.
If only because the water continues to irrigate 2,000,000 acres of agriculture, run 336 miles into Phoenix and Tucson,
224 miles to Los Angeles, or under the Rockies toward Denver through no less than 12 tunnels.
U.S. Secretary of Energy, Dr. Stephen Chu, described the crisis in the West- "That will match the rising of oceans
on the coasts."
In the Grand Canyon, researchers showed how Glen Canyon Dam’s trapping of sediment and chilling of the river
have vastly altered the ecosystem throughout our most scenic national park. Four native fish there are endangered.
Lake Mead, has sunken to an alarming low tide.
So low, in fact, that the Southern Nevada Water Authority is drilling a pipeline under the lake so that it can
continue to take its share until the river-fed reservoir runs dry.

Fifty miles from the sea, 1.5 miles south of the Mexican border, the river evaporates into a scum of phosphates and
discarded water bottles.
And a delta once renowned for its wildlife and wetlands is now all but part of the surrounding and parched Sonoran Desert. According to Mexican scientists whom I met with, the river has not flowed to the sea since 1998.
Colorado River is running dry from its headwaters to the sea.
It is polluted and compromised by industry and agriculture.
It is overallocated, drought stricken, and soon to suffer greatly from population growth."
http://newswatch.nat...ironment_forum/
Not all citizens agree with dam projects. *from 2009
http://www.nytimes.c...HRTQs5pUzHx/VcA
2011 story
http://www.nytimes.c...ef=damsanddikes

http://www.nytimes.c...ef=damsanddikes
Some good news?
They're blowing up some dams.
http://www.dailymail...almon-home.html
More pix here:
http://www.dailymail...am-emptied.html

#15 Pushhyarag2000

Pushhyarag2000

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 141 posts 5 rep

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:19 PM

View PostjasserEnv, on 23 November 2011 - 12:14 PM, said:

Not just Bhutan but in almost all north & north eastern states of India like Himachal Pradesh, Uttaranchal, Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim etc, there are projects for generation of thousands of mega watts of power that have been awarded to private companies. No doubt the project clearances have stringent norms that require commitments from promoters regarding conservation, it is not very transparent how good the enforcement is. Awareness among people affected has grown significantly at least. The only concern remains whether that is harnessed for real good of the community.

#16 jasserEnv

jasserEnv

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 406 posts 45 rep

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:53 PM

I can imagine that environmental damage in India is pretty horrendous. Combine severe overpopulation with lack of sewage treatment, pollution, corrupt politicians, many under educated people and you have the makings to wipe the natural world of all but the hardiest of species. My friend from work is from India but has lived in North America for the last 15 years and even he is horrified by the environmental damage he sees. This was before the scrap electronics and ships were being sent there for reprocessing.

#17 JBMedia

JBMedia

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 104 posts 3 rep

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

That's absolutely amazing. In 2013 they plan on having 100% of their country running on hydropower. Of course the one government official in the video did have a point in saying that damming up all the rivers might cause ecological problems for the habitat already in the rivers. However, the fact that this is probably one of the cleanest ways of energy on a big scale that I've ever heard about amazes me.

#18 cyberrunner

cyberrunner

Curious

• Shifter
  • 16 posts 3 rep

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:24 AM

Bhutan is blessed to have such abundance of water and great vision by their rulers. Furthermore,  most of the country's national income is generated by selling electricity in neighboring states in India ensuring economic prosperity of this mountainous country.

#19 kathie_san

kathie_san

Regular

• Shifter
  • 99 posts 5 rep

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:31 AM

That's completely amazing! I never thought there's such country that rely solely on hydropower. I'm considering Bhutan another must in my list of places to visit in the future.

#20 saver

saver

Regular

• Shifter
  • 61 posts 2 rep

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:13 AM

An incredible story, but so glad people are digging below the headline and seeing the downside to such power.

Did strike me as odd that 60% of their GDP comes from hydro power - it's great that they've created an economy where there wasn't one before, but I can't help but to worry that you can have too much of what seems like a good thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users