Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Top 10 cleanest countries in the world

33 replies to this topic

#1 Lee11

Lee11

Curious

• Shifter
  • 15 posts 3 rep

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:56 PM

According to the Environment Performance Index referenced on Trifter.com. The top 10 cleanest countries are...

1. Switzerland
2. Sweden
3. Norway
4. Finland
5. Costa Rica
6. Austria
7. New Zealand
8. Latvia
9. Columbia
10. France

I am not sure what factors they used to measure this. I was certainly surprised that Singapore was not on there? Or Australia?

#2 Jabsfreelanceworld

Jabsfreelanceworld

Curious

• Shifter
  • 38 posts 1 rep

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:03 PM

I always considered the Island of New Zealand as part of Australia, so in an indirect way Australia is included. As far as the choices of countries, it does not surprise me. It's interesting that it seems that the countries and localities that have the harshest of winters also seem to be the cleanest. I wonder if this has to do with the amount of precipitation an area receives. I am saying this because little ol' Wisconsin, USA where I am from is also one area that experiences moderately harsh winters, and plenty of rainfall I might ad. So is there a possible correlation?

#3 Mon-Jes

Mon-Jes

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 168 posts 12 rep

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:17 PM

Oh, man. Do NOT go to New Zealand and tell them you consider them part of Australia. That's like going to Canada and telling them you consider them to be another U.S. state. :lol:

Singapore probably isn't on there because of the pollution from forest fires in Southeast Asia and from the "brown cloud" from China that can drift all over SE Asia. It may have clean sidewalks and cleaner air than Hong Kong, but it probably gets enough bad air to knock it off the list.

#4 Player One

Player One

Curious

• Shifter
  • 21 posts 0 rep

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:49 PM

I don't think they are called "The Top 10 Cleanest Countries in the World" but they are called "The Top 10 Eco-Friendly Countries in the World" if that made any sense or difference. Anyway, they really are. I researched about them back in high school for my term paper.

#5 Joshua Amahit

Joshua Amahit

• Shifter
  • 6 posts 0 rep

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:37 AM

Almost all of the countries listed are European. How come Singapore is not on the list? Anyway I bet they have really strict laws about the environment and sanitation. I wonder though, Is there any list out there that shows the 10 dirtiest countries in the world? I wonder if the Philippines would be in the list?

#6 kat74

kat74

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 154 posts 9 rep

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:02 PM

I was hoping to see at least one African country in least. Well I guess poverty would not allow the so called third world countries to have time to clean up their cities.

#7 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:06 AM

I always wanting to  visit Switzerland for such reason and for the beautiful sight of nature in there (as I am seeing it on movies, videos and photos online.) ;)
Most probably they could be also be on the top of environmental friendly countries list as they maintain their surroundings clean.

#8 sunny

sunny

Curious

• Shifter
  • 22 posts 2 rep

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:33 AM

An interesting list. I would like to find out more details on this topic.

#9 tinkerbulilit

tinkerbulilit

Curious

• Shifter
  • 19 posts 0 rep

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:27 PM

Those countries are well-deserving to be on the said list. Although I think Singapore should also be included. But well, they came up with that list, so I guess they know what they are doing and they have done enough researches.

Would like to visit New Zealand and Switzerland someday. It would be a refreshing change to live in a country where pollution is not so rampant. Unfortunately, due to the ever-rising technology, pollution is one high price that we must pay.

#10 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:20 PM

it is great to know that there are some places, which are not so drenched in smog and pollution, that the people, who live in these places, are able to breathe., I read that 2000 people have died in England since 2008, from pollution related causes. That's a very sad state of affairs. Hopefully these areas will maintain their status.

#11 SpiroFlo

SpiroFlo

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 181 posts 12 rep

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:02 AM

I think Paris alone will drag France off that top 10 soon. Surprised it hasn't happened already.

#12 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:19 PM

Some American stats (but note, this list is from 2005, so things may have changed since then.)
http://www.rd.com/tr...ies-in-america/

#13 char4u

char4u

• Shifter
  • 7 posts 1 rep

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:32 PM

Yes, that also made me wonder why Singapore is not on the list. When Singapore have very strict policies with regards to clean and green country. I will not question New Zealand to be a part of because as far as what I have hear and read information about this country, 100% that New Zealand is a qualified top cleanest country all over the world. Even I never been there.

#14 Ecodisaster

Ecodisaster

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 106 posts 9 rep

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:16 PM

View PostMon-Jes, on 04 November 2011 - 07:17 PM, said:

Oh, man. Do NOT go to New Zealand and tell them you consider them part of Australia. That's like going to Canada and telling them you consider them to be another U.S. state. Posted Image

Singapore probably isn't on there because of the pollution from forest fires in Southeast Asia and from the "brown cloud" from China that can drift all over SE Asia. It may have clean sidewalks and cleaner air than Hong Kong, but it probably gets enough bad air to knock it off the list.

LOL I wonder if many people in NZ get mad at that! They are probably used to it. This one guy from NZ told me once it is a very common practice for foreigners to mention that. They take it lightly though...or at least the majority of the NZ expats. I would assume they take it worse once they are in their country.

And yes, SIngapore gets all the bad air probably from the other countries, that's why they are not on the list, but in theory, they should.

#15 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:35 AM

View Postchar4u, on 29 November 2011 - 09:32 PM, said:

Yes, that also made me wonder why Singapore is not on the list. When Singapore have very strict policies with regards to clean and green country. I will not question New Zealand to be a part of because as far as what I have hear and read information about this country, 100% that New Zealand is a qualified top cleanest country all over the world. Even I never been there.
A few sites list the fires they had; the smoke messed up their record.

#16 char4u

char4u

• Shifter
  • 7 posts 1 rep

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:27 AM

Singapore is just affected of being polluted with the nearest countries. I think this country has been striving hard to make their country clean, but I feel pity of the information I just hear. Anyway, the countries listed above as top cleanest countries are deserving.

#17 Ansem

Ansem

Regular

• Shifter
  • 91 posts 5 rep

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:30 AM

View Postchar4u, on 01 December 2011 - 04:27 AM, said:

Singapore is just affected of being polluted with the nearest countries. I think this country has been striving hard to make their country clean, but I feel pity of the information I just hear. Anyway, the countries listed above as top cleanest countries are deserving.
What I find the greatest coincidence is that these top 10 countries, also have the greatest landscapes.
France is a little off with the rest perhaps, but still has the alps, but Sweden has great nature, Austria and Switzerland have mountains, New Zealand speaks for itself ( LOTR !!! )

#18 Chris S

Chris S

• Shifter
  • 8 posts 0 rep

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:50 PM

I think it's because a few of the countries mentioned in the list have a law restricting the use of vehicles and they can only use bicycles for means of transportation.

#19 sbjc

sbjc

Curious

• Shifter
  • 29 posts 0 rep

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:08 AM

I am also expecting that Singapore is included in the list. LOL. I have been there several times, and I did not see even a single mess. LOL.

#20 Ansem

Ansem

Regular

• Shifter
  • 91 posts 5 rep

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:11 AM

Also count in Belarus, state control for the win.
Cleanest streets ever, no trash and no protestors, both go in the bin :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users