Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

UNplug: Solar Power Controller

4 replies to this topic

#1 eds

eds

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 3,981 posts 263 rep

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:46 PM

How can we save money, and have a quick and positive impact on the environment?
. . . Using FREE solar, you automatically UNplug from the grid during the day, and re-plug at night.

05-22-2015 Source:  UNplug: Solar Power Controller

Attached Files

#2 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:54 AM

These types of controllers are becoming more popular and for good reason, by being able to scale up slowly home owners are able to add more solar over time and there by reduce the upfront cost of going solar.  The key however is finding the right size inverter, that will meet their needs.  Once that is done than everything else can be scaled up over time.  So here is an example.  

The home owner eventually would like to power their small appliances and eventually air conditioning from solar.  They have a 3 ton split system which requires 30 amps.  The first step is to add 20% to the overall size needed to compensate for efficiency loss by the inverter, panels, batteries and charge controller.  20% is a good fit because it allows more run times for the system and provides the ability to deal with surges when appliances or A/C turns on and most importantly the ability to run multiple items at one time. 30 amps would require a minimum of a 4000 watt inverter, so let's say a 6000 watt inverter/ charger.  That would mean either a 24 volt or 48 volt system.  24 volts would be a good fit because it allows you to add on more panels and batteries later easily.

So 6000 watts would mean you could start with a minimum of (4) 250 to 300 watt panels (4 - 6) 8D solar batteries and a good charge controller.   Then down the road the home owner could add more panels and batteries without ever having to change any other components aka. Inverter and there by maximize their investment.

#3 eds

eds

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 3,981 posts 263 rep

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:56 AM

My knowledge of inverters is limited.

Tesla powerwall doesn't come with an inverter, and
. . . up to 9 powerwalls can be strung together.

I assume the have to have an inverter.

So, does anyone know, if they install an inverter into each powerwall, or
. . .  do they have one inverter for all of them?

#4 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:23 PM

Because Tesla battery wall can be put together in series you only need 1 inverter, but here's the thing, if you want to runway an air conditioner you will need 8 walls, so $28,000 plus inverter, charge controller, panels and mounts, they recommend the Schneider.  Total costs  for everything with install from Solar City around 47,000.

We can do the same thing for 1/3 the price.

#5 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:22 PM

Forgive-off topic but speaking of unplugging;
I switch off my devices at night when I go to bed (power surge strip) and I was having problems last year
with my net.
Talking to the lady; she asked-"You turn everything off at night, don't you?"
(Insert Twilight Zone music here)
"Yes, I do."
Talk about big brother.
She not only knew the time of day I "unplugged" but also how long it was off.
Privacy? No such thing any more. :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users