Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Arctic ice melt. There goes the neighborhood. #SaveTheArctic.

10 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:04 AM

As it melts away, whole new areas are opening up to commerce.
Shipping, with all of it's emissions, spills and leaks- (diesel, oil, sewage, spoiled food that
gets dumped over the side during transit)-
the added traffic, more noise to disturb native animals and birds.

Mining for precious metals and oil. It will go from pristine to ugly and polluted very quickly
once we (humans) start leaving our footprint there.

Buildings, runways, roads. :sad:

The increasing temperatures of this region are alarming to some, while only worrisome
to others. Either way,  since the 1950's, it has warmed roughly twice as much as the
global average.

Almost all Arctic glaciers have receded. (Full stats are on link listed below.)

Scientists used to say "ice free" by the end of this century. Some are saying as early
as 2037. Some say sooner than that.
Greenland’s ice cap is losing an estimated 200 gigatonnes of ice per year.
And more areas will be opened up for agriculture too.
Can we all say "monsanto" together? :vava:
Article here.

#SaveTheArctic

#2 bryce12

bryce12

Curious

• Shifter
  • 40 posts 3 rep

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

I read similar article a while back. The melting ice has opened up new shipping routes in the arctic circle and big nations like US, Canada, Russia are slugging out to grab the resources. Russia actually planted their flag on the floor of the ocean just below the north pole to signify that it belongs to them. Let's hope this doesn't start another armed conflict between the world powers.

#3 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:36 AM

"Every picture tells a story, don't it?"
Scroll down for slideshow.
http://www.huffingto...r#slide=1127389

#4 iebo

iebo

Curious

• Shifter
  • 43 posts 1 rep

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

Not too mention potential international conflicts for ownership of those resources, of which the locals will most likely receive no benefit from. Its pretty much done as far as being a pristine region once the extractions begin. Maybe an oil spill or two with tankers running into underwater icebergs.

#5 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

And what about all the fresh water that millions across the globe depend on from glaciers? Once it melts,
those poor countries can't install desalination plants.

#6 joeldgreat

joeldgreat

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 162 posts 6 rep

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:35 PM

If it melts then marine life would also be affected simply because the salinity of the ocean waters will be lesser. There are many marine life that are too sensitive to it. Once the salinity becomes less, I think corals will be greatly devastated by it. Once corals are gone, it will only took several years (if not months) before people will be affected by it. Worst, if it affects the weather patterns which many people depended their life too.

#7 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:04 AM

There is also the possibility that when all the ice melts, the "ocean conveyor belt" will stop, and when that happens-
we're all in sh*t creek-no paddle territory.  
It could take decades-it could take years. But scientists had the amount of sea ice melt wrong and the speed
to which it's melting, so who knows?
Without that circulation, we will be chilly-to say the least.
http://science.nasa....4/05mar_arctic/

#8 still learning

still learning

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 886 posts 162 rep

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:02 PM

View Postjoeldgreat, on 22 June 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

If it melts then marine life would also be affected simply because the salinity of the ocean waters will be lesser.

Not as much as you apparently think...
Looks like 97% of water on Earth is saltwater, while icecaps and glaciers are 69% of the last 3%, Seawater runs about 3.4% salt, so dilute that 97% with all the icecap/glacier water, get about 3.3% salt in seawater.
See  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water

But, yes, if the existing "ocean conveyor' {North Atlantic meridional overturning) stops, a possibility if enough ice melts, the effects would be severe, especially for Europe.  http://en.wikipedia...._global_warming

#9 steph84

steph84

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 265 posts 12 rep

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:33 AM

The rate is quite alarming and I don't know why this isn't common knowledge. I once mentioned this to a cashier and she replied with "I heard they just found a real life mermaid." *Rolls eyes* How is this even possible?!? We live in an age where information is easily accessible!

#10 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:33 AM

View Poststeph84, on 04 July 2012 - 12:33 AM, said:

The rate is quite alarming and I don't know why this isn't common knowledge. I once mentioned this to a cashier and she replied with "I heard they just found a real life mermaid." *Rolls eyes* How is this even possible?!? We live in an age where information is easily accessible!
Yes, fixed/faux/fox news is listened to. :laugh:

#11 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:44 AM

Sobering to say the least-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users