Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

#ClimateChange & Weather reports.

coal cars emissions

762 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:23 PM

We're coming up on winter (at least in some places) so I thought I'd start a thread
where we could post high/low temps-wind chills-snow amounts or other extremes in
your neck of the woods.
Texas panhandle:
Yesterday 11/12/11 High temp 72
Today 71 but with 28 mph winds/gusts to 43. Zowie.

#2 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:41 PM

Bad storms in the south today; wind damage.
tigerlily
are you OK?

#3 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:03 AM

Hmmm? No one has any extreme (or even slightly extreme?) weather events to share?

Well, I do-again.
Winds steady today at 30-35 mph, with gusts (too often in my book) in the 50-60 mph range. :hysteric:
Lots of tree branches in the yard.
http://www.accuweath...fficult-1/58262

#4 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:25 PM

This time of year the part of the Pacific Northwest I live in gets lots of warm, wet storms. We just finished the last round and today it's cloudy and cool but not too wet. Just a little drizzle. At least everything stays green here year-round!
Today's highs - upper 40s to lower 50s
Today's lows - upper 30s to lower 40s

Rain and wind in the forecast

#5 eds

eds

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 3,981 posts 263 rep

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:18 PM

NH 40s - 60s

#6 Mon-Jes

Mon-Jes

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 168 posts 12 rep

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:08 PM

Southern California, 11/26/11: We just went from chilly low 60s (well, chilly for us) to the upper 70s and low 80s today. We're supposed to have this little heat wave for the next couple of days.

I remember living in Central Texas and having winter cold fronts drop temps a good 60-70 degrees within a few hours. My favorite was when the front hit while the sprinklers were on at the university I attended. *Huge* icicles hanging off some low wires (low to the ground, so they weren't going to fall on anyone).

#7 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:25 AM

Slightly off topic, but here's a Texas drought map. *Lowest levels in more than 60 years.
http://www.scienceda...11130171100.htm

#8 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:26 AM

Wow. You read about the drought in Texas but that visual really brings it home. Not to mention all the other places in the same condition, albeit in smaller areas. But still...

Here in Seattle it's currently very foggy and the temp in my 'hood is 36, with a forecasted high of 43 today. We're slightly behind in rainfall for the last month compared to average rainfall, but only like an inch or so. I have to say I'm really glad to live somewhere that groundwater levels are probably not ever going to be a serious problem. That's scary.

#9 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:51 AM

Holy underweat, Batman..........it's blowing today out in California. :whistle:

"Thousands of homes in Southern California were without power Thursday after winds with gusts of 97 mph whipped through the region, knocking down electric lines.

"We probably have over 100 trees that are down and arcing wires and transformers that have blown,"
Pasadena police Lt. Jari Faulkner told he Los Angeles Times.
Power was knocked out to 250,000 customers and travel was disrupted at Los Angeles International Airport.
An AccuWeather.com meteorologist described it as a "once-a-decade-type windstorm."

The strongest gust, at 97 mph, was recorded north of Los Angeles in the Angeles National Forest, the Times said."
http://www.upi.com/T...3/?spt=hs&or=tn

It seems like these once in a decade/ once in a lifetime/once in a blue moon storms are all the time.  :ohmy:

#10 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:35 PM

Local-medium to high winds, freezing rain drizzle, snow forecast, mid to low teens at night, mid 30's high
for the next 3-4 days.
Ouch.
Posted Image

#11 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:48 PM

Pix of the damage caused by the Santa Ana winds.
Trees-
Posted Image
http://v1019.radio.c...damage/#photo-1
http://photos.oregon...state_cali.html
http://www.breakingn...a-ana-windstorm

#12 Guest_climagician_*

Guest_climagician_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:36 PM

November 18, 2011FAIRBANKS – A mid-November cold snap seems to have caught even seasoned Fairbanksans off guard. “I don’t think anybody was really expecting this,” 43-year-old Shawn Ross, a lifelong Fairbanksan, said. “This came out of the blue.” For the second time in three days, Fairbanks set a new low temperature record on Thursday. A temperature of 41 degrees below zero — the first 40 below temperature of the season — was recorded at Fairbanks International Airport at 6:29 a.m., according to the National Weather Service in Fairbanks. That broke the old record of 39 below set in 1969. The cold air settling in the flatlands has concentrated air pollution. The Fairbanks North Star Borough issued air quality advisories on Wednesday and Thursday because particulate matter was above the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s standards and rated as unhealthy for sensitive groups. Fairbanks set a new record of 35 below on Tuesday and the temperature bottomed out at 39 below on Wednesday, two degrees shy of the record. Thursday’s record low of 41 below marked the sixth earliest 40-below temperature recorded by the National Weather Service in Fairbanks since 1904. The earliest it’s ever hit 40 below in Fairbanks was Nov. 5, 1907, when it hit 41 below. The last time Fairbanksans saw 40-below temperatures in November was in 1994, when temperatures of 45, 43 and 45 below were recorded on Nov. 24, 25 and 30, respectively. The bitter, early season cold had Interior residents wondering if somebody turned the calendar ahead a month or two. “This sort of thing is certainly more common in December and January than November,” meteorologist Dan Hancock at the National Weather Service in Fairbanks said. “We can go through an entire winter and not get this cold.”Ross, who has owned Badger Towing for 11 years, said even he wasn’t prepared for a cold snap this severe so early in the season. –News Miner excerpt

#13 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:46 AM

4 degrees-wind chill 13 below
Ice-rain covered roads yesterday-several hundred accidents-snow last 2 days.
:hysteric:

#14 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:25 AM

Looks like we're in for it, for the next few days.
Cold, snow, rain, freezing rain................. :wacko:
http://www.weather.c...e=KAMA&etn=0001

#15 MakingCents

MakingCents

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 335 posts 23 rep

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:58 PM

It was in the high 50's here today.  4 days before Christmas it's usually like in the 30s as a high.  I like the warm weather but since i'ts probably due to global warming I think that is a bad thing.

#16 kat74

kat74

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 154 posts 9 rep

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:46 PM

Where I am the sun is blistering hot and will be like this for sometime now. Due to the climate change our Xmas now have become hot yet they used to be rain. I remember going to church through mad all the time I was growing up, but now, the sun is shinning hard.

#17 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:55 AM

Well I was hoping for a white Christmas, but it looks like the best we can hope for is cold and rain, but not cold enough to snow. Oh well. Here's a site with a nifty map of the US showing who is likely to have a white Christmas. Most of us won't but there's already snow in some of the usual places. What about you? Anyone getting a white Christmas this year?

Posted Image

http://www.ouramazin...s-forecast.html

#18 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:53 AM

I wouldn't mind some snow but
I've already had my fill of freezing rain this season.

We've had two ice events so far this season that happened before winter "officially" hit.
Lots of wrecks on the roads when you can't stop or even start off from a light.
It's scary to feel your car moving under you in the wrong direction, and you can't control it. :ohmy:

#19 makeitmom

makeitmom

Curious

• Shifter
  • 45 posts 2 rep

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

It was a rather nice day where I am. In the high 50's and sunny. Not bad for Christmas eve.

Tonight it'll be in the high 30's, so no frost tonight (my plants won't suffer any frost bite).

On Christmas it's more of the same as it was today.

Happy holidays everyone!

#20 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:41 AM

I know it's weather not climate but
Christmas day; 5-7 inches of snow, cold, icy conditions (Sunday)
and by this Saturday?
Supposed to be 63,
Talk about global weirding.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users