Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Rising Sea Levels Destroying Antigua's Beaches

1 reply to this topic

#1 Hayden

Hayden

Admin

• Global Moderator
  • 1,489 posts 72 rep

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:03 AM

I was extremely saddened to see how global warming and rising sea levels have affected beaches on my home island of Antigua. Half Moon Bay for example use to be my favorite beach on the islandbut during my visit there a week ago, it was heart wrenching to see just how much the sand and shore line have been swallowed up by rising sea levels and how far towards land (grass/dirt) the water line has moved!

Compare the photos below:

Attached File  half_moon_bay_antigua_2006.jpg   114.22K   5 downloads

2011:
Attached File  half_moon_bay_antigua_2011.jpg   64.55K   4 downloads

What can we do? Nothing when it comes to addressing the source of this problem but maybe something can be done help fix the beaches as they are destroyed.

Affect on entire Caribbean... Read here.

#2 godarna

godarna

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 104 posts 14 rep

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:01 AM

I visited the island of Rodrigues, north east of Mauritius some years ago and noticed that at certain places one planted mangroves to protect the coastline from erosion. May be a solution? But even here in Mauritius there's erosion at certain places at the beaches. And both these islands are mostly protected by coral reefs, although I'm not sure if this helps a lot. Sometimes I sit at the waterfront in Mahebourg, imagining a raise of the waterlevel with 50 centimeters, better not think of this, horrible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users