Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Replacement for Plastic

8 replies to this topic

#1 Green Thumb

Green Thumb

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 135 posts 7 rep

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:35 PM

It’s the ARBOFORM – a liquid wood to replace everything plastic. German scientists invented this material that is said to be 100% organic and hopefully will save us from using non-biodegradable plastics in the near future.

“Arboform can be molded into any object form which is normally made using non-biodegradable petroleum products. What shoots up the eco-factor of such products is the fact that once out of use the Arboform products break down quickly organically into eco-safe by-products like water and carbon dioxide. Now almost anything that you can imagine under the sun can be produced using Arboform from simple toys to complex gadgets.”

(http://www.greendiar...ything-plastic/)

“Arboform preserved all of its qualities even if it was reprocessed ten times.It is 100% renewable, totally biodegradable.Once treated as waste, Arboform products will automatically break down rapidly in organically manner into eco-safe by-products such as carbon dioxide and water.”

(http://www.cleaningg...lace-plastic/33)

Let's keep our fingers crossed. :)

#2 Bababooey

Bababooey

Curious

• Shifter
  • 44 posts 2 rep

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:46 AM

Wow, that sounds cool. If they can manufacture it at a price that makes it competitive with plastic, why wouldn't you want to use this. I hope the researchers can bring this idea into reality and we can start seeing actual products manufactured.

#3 Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Regular

• Shifter
  • 52 posts 0 rep

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:40 PM

Wow, that sounds really cool. Haha, I just noticed my reply/reaction is identical to the poster above me. Thanks for sharing this interesting info.

#4 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:50 PM

What a fantastic invention, to replace plastic, so that there will be less non-biodegradable material to get rid of all around. Scientists are doing great things around the world. It is so interesting to hear about this. Thank you for the information.

#5 Green Thumb

Green Thumb

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 135 posts 7 rep

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:07 PM

Yes. We can surely rely on scientist to invent something for our good (anyways, it’s also some of them who turn some things so bad. *laughs*). Hope there’s more scientists who are dedicated in refracting the cause of unhealthy materials for our consumption and inedible ones for the grounds ingestion.
And plastic comes with a high price either. I guess competition depends on what people will consider with their income. Give the price for plastic to this product. If the demand gets high, then it’s probable that it will come cheap but not if an insensitive businessman takes control. :unsure:

#6 marale60

marale60

Curious

• Shifter
  • 30 posts 5 rep

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:30 AM

100% biodegradable plastic exists and has for at least ten years. I know because I am friends with a guy who helped GE develop it.....The only reason it isn't used is because it costs more. Short-term profits appear to be trumping the betterment and sustainability of our world, and that is very sad. The solutions are right in our hands if we just clamp down and grab them! :angry:

#7 Mon-Jes

Mon-Jes

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 168 posts 12 rep

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:13 AM

Before anyone gets too angry or too excited, remember that even biodegradable material doesn't always degrade like it's supposed to. See page 2: http://docs.google.c...zQUIATWcg5EkXLw

I too would love to see a replacement for plastic, but "biodegradable" doesn't always work out if there's too much of it....

#8 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:02 AM

View Postmarale60, on 10 October 2011 - 10:30 AM, said:

100% biodegradable plastic exists and has for at least ten years. I know because I am friends with a guy who helped GE develop it.....The only reason it isn't used is because it costs more. Short-term profits appear to be trumping the betterment and sustainability of our world, and that is very sad. The solutions are right in our hands if we just clamp down and grab them! :angry:

I would agree that there are better choices that are safer for us and for the environment but being costly hinders the use of it. Specially now that almost all commodities and foods are becoming more and more expensive, it was hard to choose the "eco friendly" option that are costly. Although will still hope that such kind of plastic will replace the plastic bags and some other products made from plastics that we are using today.

#9 SheforACT

SheforACT

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:40 PM

Well that is great if they can do something like that. we really in need of replacement for plastic something that is environmentally friendly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users