Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

What are some of the things one should do in their house to help stay green all the time.

going green in the house

23 replies to this topic

#1 kat74

kat74

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 154 posts 9 rep

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:21 PM

Tips on going green in the house or at home.

#2 Bababooey

Bababooey

Curious

• Shifter
  • 44 posts 2 rep

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:48 PM

The easiest thing you can do is shut off lights in rooms that nobody is using. I'm constantly walking about shutting off lights. Seems so wasteful to keep the entire house lit up when there is nobody home

#3 Green Thumb

Green Thumb

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 135 posts 7 rep

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:15 AM

First of all, in buying things to put in your home, have this question in mind, “Will this help protect or add harm to the environment?” Then you will realize that we should be wise in choosing selected chemicals to be use and get away with the pollutants. Write down the list of those environment friendly but still effective products. Don’t buy unnecessary items either. More space is good for functionality and preserving greenery.

One important thing that I would like to point out because it always happen when our gas is being replaced – make sure that the gas range won’t leak even when the stove is off.

#4 kat74

kat74

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 154 posts 9 rep

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:20 AM

Very useful tips you guys have given, putting off the lights truly safes energy w are not using and buying thing which will not harm the environment in anyway is a very simple way of saving environment.

#5 Bababooey

Bababooey

Curious

• Shifter
  • 44 posts 2 rep

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:37 AM

Another obvious idea is to recycle. In my municipality, one garbage truck comes for the trash, and another one comes to pick up recyclables, such as bottles, glass, aluminum cans and cardboard. It's a bit more work to separate all the cardboard, but we've set up a little box in the kitchen where everyone throws all the cardboard trash. Same with the bottles. It's a pretty good system.

#6 godarna

godarna

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 104 posts 14 rep

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:51 AM

View PostBababooey, on 09 October 2011 - 09:37 AM, said:

Another obvious idea is to recycle. In my municipality, one garbage truck comes for the trash, and another one comes to pick up recyclables, such as bottles, glass, aluminum cans and cardboard. It's a bit more work to separate all the cardboard, but we've set up a little box in the kitchen where everyone throws all the cardboard trash. Same with the bottles. It's a pretty good system.

Let me make you all drooling. In the town I used to live in Holland, there came a garbage truck for the trash, another for organic waste. Every two weeks a special truck to collect paper, glass, cans, batteries, paint, metal waste. The municipality provided free containers and plastic crates for seperating the waste at home. At supermarket parkings you could drop glass and paper as well. There was a special collecting point where you could bring debris, wood, plastic, chemical waste, etc. A special shop, the recycling store, where you could bring anything still usable or repairable, like TV's, furniture, bicycles, clothes, lamps, clothes, books, just name it.

#7 mommymumbles

mommymumbles

Regular

• Shifter
  • 57 posts 4 rep

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:29 AM

Things we should be doing all the time in our homes to stay green would include turning off lights, as Babooey pointed out, keeping thermostats low, recycling, being careful with the water-don't just let it run, and re-using items instead of automatically tossing it out. Those are the basic things that come to my mind anyway. Things we can all do that cost us nothing and just take a moment of out time to do.

#8 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:50 PM

Save energy and save water. Yes, just like unplugging unused appliances/electronics gadget and switching off those not in use. Do not waste water, reuse water just like water from washing clothes that can still be use in cleaning purposes. And avoid using materials or things that are disposable specially made in plastic materials.

#9 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

Houseplants help give us cleaner air to breathe. :biggrin:

#10 Kate Merrick

Kate Merrick

Curious

• Shifter
  • 17 posts 1 rep

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

It's a shame more people don't use clotheslines to dry their laundry.  I live in Florida, the land of sunshine, and it's mostly in the poor part of my town that people use them.  Isn't that nuts?  In fact, in condo & apt complexes, one is not Allowed! to put up a clothesline.  It is so backward that when I think about moving, I rule out anyplace like that.  I also have a compost pile.  I am lucky to have a foresty area beside my house where I can do that.  The "better" neighborhoods consist of houses very close together, divided by fences.  I suppose I could get away with a compost tumbler in such a spot.  I don't have central air conditioning either, which other Floridians think is total insanity.  I have a large window unit and overhead fans in each room, and window fans to use when the sun isn't shining on them.  I use the window unit in late afternoon just to cool the house down to the outdoor temp, once it has started going down.  Window fans cool very well in early evening.   I find I have adapted to the heat here much better than by living in a tightly sealed house that is chilled unaturally low.  Brrrrrr   It is bad for our internal thermometers too.  It feels insufferably hot when one goes outside after being in cold air conditioning.  It is also expensive and hard on the environment to overuse electricity.

#11 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:49 AM

"What are some of the things one should do in their house"
From the title of this thread, I was hoping it was just talking about green stuff...............
Can be taken differently. :tongue:

#12 Kate Merrick

Kate Merrick

Curious

• Shifter
  • 17 posts 1 rep

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

Yes, one could do a lot of things in one's house, couldn't one?  I , too , was thinking green.

#13 Kate Merrick

Kate Merrick

Curious

• Shifter
  • 17 posts 1 rep

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

I actually turn off some of the circuit breakers in my house when not in use, ie, the water heater.  It saves a lot of  $.

#14 steph84

steph84

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 265 posts 12 rep

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:29 AM

Never thought to turn off the circuit breakers, Kate. I usually have everything plugged into a power strip and then unplug the strip when I am done. I always like to open up my blinds and let the sunshine in so I can stay warm and I have thick curtains to block out the heat in the summer. We recently insulated the house so we are good to go.

#15 Kate Merrick

Kate Merrick

Curious

• Shifter
  • 17 posts 1 rep

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:11 AM

Insulation is definitely important.  I insulated my attic crawl space myself and it nearly killed me crawling around up there...nails sticking up here and there...fiberglass...I itched for weeks even tho I wore long sleeves and gloves.    The thing to do when they built this house (1958) woulda been to insulate then and lay plywoood over it so access was not so horribly difficult.  But, of course, that would have cost more.       The insulation has made a noticeable difference in holding the heat and cooling.

#16 steph84

steph84

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 265 posts 12 rep

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:08 AM

Fiberglass is the worst when it hits you skin! It bothers me to the point where I feel like I am going insane. Other than that, insulation is wonderful! lol I do love how cool my home feels in the summer time and how warm it is in the winter. You know how when you enter your house and it is just hot that you flip on the AC? Well, I ride out the cool air and then turn on the AC. It's amazing!

#17 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:10 AM

View Poststeph84, on 27 March 2012 - 12:08 AM, said:

Fiberglass is the worst when it hits you skin! It bothers me to the point where I feel like I am going insane. Other than that, insulation is wonderful! lol I do love how cool my home feels in the summer time and how warm it is in the winter. You know how when you enter your house and it is just hot that you flip on the AC? Well, I ride out the cool air and then turn on the AC. It's amazing!
Non itch insulation is available. It's made from recycled plastic bottles.

#18 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:03 AM

Lots of good tips at this site.
http://www.theecolog...trofitting.html

#19 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

Green, but also to save energy, I unplug any small appliance that is not in use. Such as toasters, coffee-makers, blenders, and what ever else stays plugged in when not in use, during the day. It saves phantom electricity from being used, which increases your electric bill. Cheers.

#20 dkramarczyk

dkramarczyk

Regular

• Shifter
  • 51 posts 2 rep

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

There are definitely quite a few things that my husband needs to work: shutting off the lights after he leaves a room, turning off the television (plus anything else that might be connected to it) when he's no longer using it, etc. The list goes on and on. I usually have to follow him around like a little puppy just to make sure that he turns stuff off so we don't waste energy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users