Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Preserving Guanaja, the Green Island with Petition

2 replies to this topic

#1 Bonaccan

Bonaccan

• Shifter
  • 3 posts 0 rep

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:47 AM

My name is Miguel Deleon and I am from the island of Guanaja which is part of the Bay Islands of Honduras. I am looking for any information or assistance on how I can get our island locals to understand that their home needs to be protected before it is too late.

Long story short, our island did without land motor vehicles for generations and only in the past couple of decades have they been introduced to the island. The island currently only has one paved road which is about 4 kilometers. Unfortunately, the economic situation has started to weigh on the locals and see cars, roads and a cruise ship port as their only options for more tourists. In the past few months I've begun a petition to go "car-free" before we get to the point of no return. I created the following website (still trying to figure how to best leverage it) to not only show who we are as a people but why we need to protect the island we call home. The sad part is that the locals have seen my efforts as being against "progress". Maybe hearing it from "tourists", that they so heavily covet, might do the trick. Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing back from you.

The main point being our island can be economically successful without sacrificing it. My opinion is that Ecotourism is the way to go.

Review attachment

Attached Files

#2 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:29 PM

I've shared this on Twitter, Facebook and Google+. Good luck.
We wish you all the best.
And thank you so much for the post and bringing the awareness of the situation to us. We appreciate it.

#3 Bonaccan

Bonaccan

• Shifter
  • 3 posts 0 rep

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:51 PM

Thank you Shortpoet-GTD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users