Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

#ClimateChange-can you stay optimistic?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:06 PM

It's becoming increasingly harder for me (personally) to stay optimistic about the
"powers that be" doing anything about it.

Sure, solar is making great strides, so is wind.

But without an international;
"Omg, it's coming and we MUST do something about it NOW."
attitude is lacking or feeble.

(Btw-it was 88 today halfway through October in the Panhandle of Texas; same
tomorrow. Climate change is here NOW and it's kicking our buttes and no one seems
to care.) :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Don't mean to rant here but WT??? Is anyone going to deal with this?

What is your current attitude; and how can we (as a site, and as a people) do more?

#2 still learning

still learning

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 886 posts 162 rep

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:17 AM

It's probably unrealistic of me, but I retain a little optimism.  I think that in the US and the developed world generally, climate changes will be adapted to.  

Near as i can tell, the worst-case scenarios of the different climate models aren't coming true.

Folks worldwide are coming to realize that climate change is real and that people are responsible.  While I don't think the dumping CO2 into the atmosphere is going to end any time soon, maybe we'll begin to see a levelling of the Keeling curve before too long
(  https://scripps.ucsd...ll_record.png  )

People can change their ways.  Will have to in some cases, can't keep out a rising ocean everywhere, can't make it rain like before where climate change has permanently altered rainfall patterns.  Some areas will lose population.  Maybe the Texas Panhandle.  Maybe Southern California. Will be hard on some.  Here in the US though I think we'll make do mostly.  Most of the world too.  For some though there will be hardship and maybe death.  It's easy to imagine crop failures eventually causing people to migrate.  Maybe already happening.  Some say that the current Syrian warfare has causes in crop failures and government failure to help.

For most of us, I retain some optimism.  The world's going to change, Mostly in ways we won't like, but I, unrealistically maybe, don't think worst-case conditions will prevail.

#3 Rusakov

Rusakov

• Shifter
  • 4 posts 0 rep

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:27 PM

I can. I'm one of those transhumanists *dodges rotten tomatoes*. Not only do I agree with what Still Learning said, but technology is coming along at a nice pace.

Now, I think carbon emission reduction should be done as soon and fast as possible, but I also think that some form of geoengineering should be done *dodges more rotten tomatoes*. Of course it should be modeled and tested to heck and back before being tried out.

As for what kind of engineering, definitely the saltwater cloud whitening idea. It seems much safer than the other options.

#4 opentoinvest

opentoinvest

Curious

• Shifter
  • 14 posts 3 rep

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:51 PM

I found this article about optimism for a low-carbon policy...ahead of the upcoming Paris Climate Talks.
There seems to be a shift (slow but happening) from coal industries, companies and communities that the time has come to take climate change seriously. Here’s the article:

It’s Time to Jump on the Train to the Future: All Aboard the Low Carbon Express

Posted ImageA mere six weeks away from the Paris Climate Talks where more than 190 nations will gather to discuss a possible new global agreement on climate change that would reduce greenhouse gas emissions to avoid the catastrophic consequences of global warming.

In light of the upcoming summit, two powerful forces seem poised to sweep the global community towards a potential solution to the climate crisis. The first: a shift in the economics of clean energy and renewables; and the second: replacing the top-down rationing approach of the first 15 years of climate diplomacy, with a bottom-up, bidding in approach ratifying rather than forcing emerging communities of interest.

But that’s not all, “even the fossil fuel industry knows the train to the future is a low carbon express, and you need to get on it before it leaves the station”. So as momentum continues to build for Paris, coal and oil companies and their historic utility and automotive partners, are abandoning 20-years of insistence that no alternative to fossils exists. Here are some examples.
  • Toyota and Volkswagen declared the future belongs to electric cars
  • Ten of the globe’s biggest power companies issued a declaration asking for the Paris COP to accelerate the development and deployment of renewable energy efficiency measures and innovations
  • 14 Major multi-national giants, including coal mining, oil and cement producers called for the Paris Agreement to embrace long-term policy certainty, transparency, competitive markets and carbon pricing.

Get more insight into the influx of clean energy success stories and why more cities, states and companies are also jumping on board of the low carbon express - by divesting from fossil fuels and embracing clean energy revolution!

#5 Wickerman

Wickerman

• Shifter
  • 3 posts 0 rep

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:08 PM

Can I stay optimistic?

Well, at the corporate end, I really do not feel that those who have the power and resources to make the necessary changes even want to acknowledge that change is required.
At the personal level, the private citizen and Environmental groups do not have enough influence or input to force the necessary changes, that is even assuming they can ever agree on what changes are necessary.

The smaller changes like Cycling to work, not buying bottled water, recycling, etc. are all very well, and good for a number of other reasons, but when I hear the sales pitch, "...well, if everyone did it we could change the world..." , I have to say, any solution that requires the participation of everyone is unrealistic to begin with and doomed to failure.

So, I guess the answer to the question is an avoidable, No.

#6 eds

eds

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 3,981 posts 263 rep

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:45 AM

Stay Optimistic about Climate Change?
. . . That's a really big problem!
. . . It Involves Billions of people in the world, making decades of change to their energy sources.
. . . But I'm only one person . . . what can I do?

Well, During the Depression and World War II, we had:
. . . . . . Coal Furnaces,
. . . . . . Kerosene Stoves,
. . . . . . Ice Boxs,
. . . . . . Gas Lights,
. . . . . . Scrub Boards, and Clothes Lines,
. . . . . . Horse and Buggy's.
Change came, and Today we have:
. . . . . . Oil Furnaces(electric),
. . . . . . Microwave(electric),
. . . . . . Refrigerator/Freezer(electric),
. . . . . . LEDs/TVs/Computers(electric),
. . . . . . Wash/Dryer(electric),
. . . . . . Cars and Trucks.

But, Electric Fuel Sources, have caused problems:
. . . . . . Spills,
. . . . . . Price Wars, and
. . . . . . Climate.
Change will come, because we now have:
. . . . . . Affordable,
. . . . . . Simple, and
. . . . . . Practical Renewable Energy.

A Gas Generator, can be Cheap, Simple and Flexible,
. . . but:
. . . . . . the noise is deafening,  
. . . . . . the fumes are dangerous,
. . . . . . Requires maintenance,
. . . . . . Requires fuel, (that maybe hard to come by)
A SOLAR Generator, is much less expensive then roof or ground mounted solar:
. . . . . . Produces more energy, with less panels,
. . . . . . Batteries, work during power failures & at night(when "the Sun don't Shine")
. . . . . . Quiet,
. . . . . . No Fumes,
. . . . . . No maintenance,
. . . . . . FREE Fuel, (can power all Home "Critical Circuits" and electric yard tools)

What makes me Optimistic about Climate Change is,
. . . I am having this (Solar) Generator installed right now, and
. . . if I can do it . . . there is Hope that we can Change the Climate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users