Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

innovation in forestry, Schweighofer Prize

17 replies to this topic

#1 pelagia

pelagia

Curious

• Shifter
  • 16 posts 3 rep

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:28 AM

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone else had heard of / been following the Schweighofer Prize this year? It was actually awarded yesterday, but not sure who won as I couldn't find out online somehow, I am guessing there's a small delay in when it will be made public. It's a European prize awarded for innovation and excellence in the timber industry and forestry, so it might be of interest to many of you working in this sector. Thought I'd share it since it's been funding such inspiring projects :) Let me know what you think!

#2 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:37 AM

Any awareness towards the health and safekeeping of forests is good news; thanks.
The only time many (most) folks think about trees or forests is when they're on fire.

#3 pelagia

pelagia

Curious

• Shifter
  • 16 posts 3 rep

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:53 AM

Haha I guess that's true. We don't get too many forest fires here, but I know it's a big problem elsewhere of course. But thankfully we are discovering more and more about their importance for ecosystems, air quality, climate regulation and human health. That's why I think any project working towards the sustainable use of timber is definitely worth mentioning :) Had you heard about this prize before?

#4 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:17 AM

View Postpelagia, on 18 June 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

Haha I guess that's true. We don't get too many forest fires here, but I know it's a big problem elsewhere of course. But thankfully we are discovering more and more about their importance for ecosystems, air quality, climate regulation and human health. That's why I think any project working towards the sustainable use of timber is definitely worth mentioning :) Had you heard about this prize before?
What part of Mother Earth are you located in? And no, I haven't heard of the prize.

#5 pelagia

pelagia

Curious

• Shifter
  • 16 posts 3 rep

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:53 AM

I live in Scotland! There are doing a lot there in terms of replanting trees and trying to keep deer numbers down to enhance regeneration. So naturally, this topic interests me. I also learnt a lot about it over my studies. Always thought it was fascinating!

#6 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:18 PM

View Postpelagia, on 22 June 2015 - 09:53 AM, said:

I live in Scotland! There are doing a lot there in terms of replanting trees and trying to keep deer numbers down to enhance regeneration. So naturally, this topic interests me. I also learnt a lot about it over my studies. Always thought it was fascinating!
Good. Planting trees is like a vitamin shot for our lungs.

#7 pelagia

pelagia

Curious

• Shifter
  • 16 posts 3 rep

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:02 AM

Agreed! It's a pity that many people have not understood it yet and many cities are still lacking trees, especially with all the changed we are and will be changing, trees are so invaluable.

Has anyone else heard of this Schweighofer Prize I mentioned? There were a couple of things I was wondering about in the process of applying so would have been happy to discuss it with someone who knows a bit about it. Let me know :)

#8 eds

eds

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 3,981 posts 263 rep

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:32 PM

Schweighofer Prize, Introduction and Get Together

Finding and Presentations

#9 pelagia

pelagia

Curious

• Shifter
  • 16 posts 3 rep

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:28 AM

Hey, thank you so much for sharing these videos! They really helped to get a better feel of what the schweighofer prize is all about. I had no idea there were videos of this on youtube, I should have checked of course :) Also happy I'm not the only one who heard about this prize, I had nearly lost hope anyone would know about it! :)

#10 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:11 AM

View Postpelagia, on 13 July 2015 - 11:28 AM, said:

Hey, thank you so much for sharing these videos! They really helped to get a better feel of what the schweighofer prize is all about. I had no idea there were videos of this on youtube, I should have checked of course :) Also happy I'm not the only one who heard about this prize, I had nearly lost hope anyone would know about it! :)
Our beloved Ed always comes up with the coolest stuff. B)
And thank you for making us all more aware of this.

#11 pelagia

pelagia

Curious

• Shifter
  • 16 posts 3 rep

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:32 AM

I guess so, I have to say I'm very impressed with the level of knowledge on these issues in the forum. And not at all, it was my pleasure :) If anyone hears about anything else or similar, let me know!

#12 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:29 PM

View Postpelagia, on 19 July 2015 - 05:32 AM, said:

I guess so, I have to say I'm very impressed with the level of knowledge on these issues in the forum. And not at all, it was my pleasure :) If anyone hears about anything else or similar, let me know!
Cool; post more stuff too!!

#13 pelagia

pelagia

Curious

• Shifter
  • 16 posts 3 rep

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:01 AM

I will for sure :) I'm always happy to share interesting projects or competitions - I think it can really draw people's attention to some things they might not have heard before, maybe because it's really niche or if it is happening in a different country (or even continent in this case I guess :) )

#14 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:29 PM

View Postpelagia, on 25 July 2015 - 10:01 AM, said:

I will for sure :) I'm always happy to share interesting projects or competitions - I think it can really draw people's attention to some things they might not have heard before, maybe because it's really niche or if it is happening in a different country (or even continent in this case I guess :) )
That's why we're here. To share information that most don't know about or read about.
Too often we focus on climate change in the states cause we live here, but we must realize that multiple countries
are suffering around the world; it's climate change not United States change.

It's the same with good news.

No matter where in the world it comes from; we're here to acknowledge it, share it and praise it. People all over
the world are working hard to solve our man made problems.

You are part of the solution and we appreciate it. :biggrin:

#15 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

More info at their site-
http://www.schweigho...dex.php?lang=EN

(Various info links at top of page)

#16 pelagia

pelagia

Curious

• Shifter
  • 16 posts 3 rep

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:57 AM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 25 July 2015 - 03:29 PM, said:

That's why we're here. To share information that most don't know about or read about.
Too often we focus on climate change in the states cause we live here, but we must realize that multiple countries
are suffering around the world; it's climate change not United States change.

It's the same with good news.

No matter where in the world it comes from; we're here to acknowledge it, share it and praise it. People all over
the world are working hard to solve our man made problems.

You are part of the solution and we appreciate it. :biggrin:

Those are such true words. I totally agree with you. I really think our strength is our number, so treating these issues on a national level makes little sense - but of course in Europe we tend to do the same, although we are in theory many different countries (the US being similar in terms of surface at least!). Sure national guidelines and policies are needed, but what use is it if some countries try hard while others continue burning fossil fuels? Every little helps of course, but still, I reallyy think we need a unified response to this problem.
Also thanks for posting the link! Next application round is in 2017 I guess, but it's better to heard about these things early :) Hopefully I'll come across more opportunities happening sooner that I will post here :)

#17 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:43 AM

More links about forest management and conservation:
several from this link alone.

http://forestrydegre...d-conservation/

https://www.american...org/what-we-do/

https://support.natu...CFQYoaQodsbIJeQ
http://arborday.org/programs/

#18 pelagia

pelagia

Curious

• Shifter
  • 16 posts 3 rep

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:42 PM

That is so useful for anyone studying / planning to study or work in forestry. Thank you tons! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users