Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Liam F1 by Archimedes. Has anyone seen or heard of it?

6 replies to this topic

#1 yoder

yoder

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:52 AM

I just noticed this and it appears to be on the market (just not in the US or Canada yet).  From the documentation they say, "The efficiency of the rotorblades has been measured by way of computer simulations, windtunnel tests and field tests at around 52%.  This means that 52% of the available kinetic energy in the wind is converted into rotational movement.  The theoretically maximum achievable efficiency is 59% , the so called Betz Limit.  Despite friction of bearings and obstruction on account of its frame, the Archimedes Rotor is able to extract 88% of the theoretically viable energy from the wind."

After a little poking around I noticed a price for one at around $5000 USD.  For urban areas this seems to be a great product and I immediately started thinking about something like this for my home.

I've been following other "urban" wind technologies like Aerotecture, but nothing so far seems to fit smaller urban footprints.  This seems like something that could do the job.

#2 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:52 AM

B)

#3 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 19 October 2014 - 04:56 PM

Yes we are aware of the company and their designs.  We evaluated the products 2 years ago for one of our clients when developing a hybrid wind solar system for a farm in Wisconsin.  We found that in a rural setting the amount of wind needed to provide a minimum of power was higher and more expensive that a typical micro wind turbine that provided more power at a much lower cost.  That said if you are looking at a urban environment then it might be a better fit for roof top energy.

The drawings on their web page are pretty neat.

But if you want to see the best wind solar design we have found for urban areas please see the story we posted titled World’s Largest Hybrid Wind Solar Development a few weeks ago in the Green Gadgets and Services Section of the forum.  WindStream Technologies has developed a much smaller application that produces more energy at much lower wind levels and costs.  They have almost twice as many instillations and have been certified by the DOE here in the United States and EU.
  Video at

Ed posted another company called Bluenergy Solar Wind, but they have had no actual instillations and are mostly just a computer animated idea with no real world applications at this time, really it is just a remaking of the Solendra technology that went out of business a few years ago.

WindStream  turbines are not nearly as tall but perform very well using the helical design model to provide higher electrical generation at much lower wind levels.

#4 yoder

yoder

Posted 25 October 2014 - 05:05 AM

Thanks E3!  Much appreciated.  I've seen this style of turbine before and it does make sense to me that it would be more efficient than the Liam at converting the changing eddies and wind directions in urban settings.  I have not found a manufacturer that can scale them down to the residential level (for a single family home in an urban area) and they are too large and heavy for most roofs without significant roof modifications.

I've seen styles similar to the Liam that have been scaled to fit a single family home.  My holy grail has been a turbine that can be mounted at the peak of my roof and catch the wind from any angle or direction.  The Windstream and Aerotecture styles seem to be a great fit for this.  I just need to find someone who can scale them to residential size.

#5 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:43 PM

Honestly for the cost of modification and getting the roof up to code to support it, just go with a pole mounted micro turbine.  Yes it's not as elegant, neat or cool, but it is cheaper, provides more power with much lower wind requirements and can be moved easily.  I am thinking of a 400 to 800 watt on a pole 3 feet higher than the peak on your roof.  The pole is attached to the eaves, two points on the house and a ground mount.  It's easy, simple and if you have the wind, a great solution.  Just my thought.

#6 yoder

yoder

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:00 AM

Thanks again E3, much appreciated.  We have looked into the micro-turbines, but I am waiting for the elegance and beauty.  Very vain I know, however, we are putting a lot into our home to make it efficient but also look beautiful.  I'll know the solution when I see it.

#7 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:31 AM

yoder, on 26 October 2014 - 06:00 AM, said:

Thanks again E3, much appreciated.  We have looked into the micro-turbines, but I am waiting for the elegance and beauty.  Very vain I know, however, we are putting a lot into our home to make it efficient but also look beautiful.  I'll know the solution when I see it.
You probably have already done this but just in case you haven't; type in "residential wind turbines" into Google images
and it will give you tons of idea's. :biggrin:  (The pix are usually linked back to websites)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users