Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Making Salt Water Drinkable Just Got 99 Percent Easier

8 replies to this topic

#1 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

Attached File  Graphine.JPG   53.25K   0 downloads

http://gizmodo.com/5...-desalinization

Access to steady supplies of clean water is getting more and more difficult in the developing world, especially as demand skyrockets. In response, many countries have turned to the sea for potable fluids but existing reverse osmosis plants rely on complicated processes that are expensive and energy-intensive to operate. Good thing, engineers at Lockheed Martin have just announced a newly-developed salt filter that could reduce desalinization energy costs by 99 percent
  The Reverse Osmosis process works on a simple principle: molecules within a liquid will flow across a semipermeable membrane from areas of higher concentration to lower until both sides reach an equilibrium. But that same membrane can act as a filter for large molecules and ions if outside pressure is applied to one side of the system. For desalinization, the process typically employs a sheet of thin-film composite (TFC) membrane which is made from an active thin-film layer of polyimide stacked on a porous layer of polysulfone.

The problem with these membranes is that their thickness requires the presence of large amounts of pressure (and energy) to press water through them.

Lockheed Martin's Perforene, on the other hand, is made from single atom-thick sheets of graphene. Because the sheets are so thin, water flows through them far more easily than through a conventional TFC. Filters made through the Perforene process would incorporate filtering holes just 100 nm in diameter—large enough to let water molecules through but small enough to capture dissolved salts. It looks a bit like chicken wire when viewed under a microscope, John Stetson, the Lockheed engineer credited with its invention, told Reuters. But ounce for ounce, its 1000 times stronger than steel.

"It's 500 times thinner than the best filter on the market today and a thousand times stronger," Stetson explained to Reuters. "The energy that's required and the pressure that's required to filter salt is approximately 100 times less."

Lockheed is reportedly already ramping up production efforts for the filters—and trying to find a way to keep them from tearing—though there are no announced plans on when they'd hit the market. Tomorrow isn't soon enough.

#2 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:56 PM

Considering fresh water is our most threatened natural resource on the planet, this might just be a game changer.

#3 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

Excellent news!! Thanks for the info!
"Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink." may be a thing of the past. (from some stranded in a boat movie)
(that picture look's like a bracelet I used to have.) :laugh:

#4 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:46 PM

Wow that bracelet you had looks like a picture I posted, it's a small world after all, it's a small world after all, it's a small world after all, just about an atom tall. Sorry SP just could not help myself.

#5 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:48 AM

View PostE3 wise, on 02 September 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

Wow that bracelet you had looks like a picture I posted, it's a small world after all, it's a small world after all, it's a small world after all, just about an atom tall. Sorry SP just could not help myself.
:laugh:

#6 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:36 PM

I must admit that when I post on the Shift, it is usually on subjects that I am passionate about in areas that we work with here at Environmental Power and Water Generation.   Likewise because we act as peer review members for the NREL Wind and Solar to Hydrogen, and are members of so many different renewable associations, we have a very unique opportunity to share the latest information on programs in these areas,

But for all that cool technology the one area that most dominates my thinking, the thing that keeps me up at night and honestly worries more than any other area is drinking water.  Today people here in the United States just don’t understand how critical clean drinking water is to our survival.  In an age where cheap easily accessible water is the norm for most people, the idea that it could all be threatened may seem somewhat ludicrous.

Yet talk to any historian and they will tell you that for all the technology that has advanced over the last hundred years, none was more critical to our current way of life than clean disease free water for the masses.  Simply from a health perspective, modern humans owe everything to the ability to have water easily at hand.  Until a few years ago producers did not even factor the cost of water into their cost analysis because the cost had become so low.  

A far cry from the world of 17 and 1800’s when water itself was the main determinate of settlement in almost every major city in the world.  Then as today water itself was life.  So fast forward to our present day when aquifers are dwindling, drought caused by climate change is accelerating and population mushrooms ever and ever bigger.

So what will be the answer to meet the water needs that act as the base for modern life?  Of course conservation and reduction will be key; likewise recycling of water is an area of huge expansion.  Yet the holy grail of waters future is in desalinization.  In the past that has meant lots of cost in membranes for reverse osmosis and energy costs in pumping.  That is why we honestly feel this new graphene technology may be the biggest advancement in water technology in the last 50 years.  With the reduction in membranes needed and the added fact that energy costs would be greatly reduced, well as the tag line states things just got 99% easier.

I personally feel that in the next few years we will see filtration using Lockheed Martin’s Perforene being integrated into everything from small home filters to large industrial water utilities and new desalinization designs and I am not alone.

This week I spoke by phone with Joe Lauria vice president and area manager of Municipal Water/Wastewater for the Orange County Market, based in the Irvine, Calif.  I asked him directly about the Perforene technology, Jeff he said, “I honestly think this may be the biggest technology leap in water technology in 100 years, we are already looking at technology reports to evaluate how we can make use of this ground breaking discovery.”   He went on, “and as a person who has spent 30 years in municipal water supply and management during the worst drought seen in modern history, I think we might have caught our first break.”

#7 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:56 PM

Other water issue information.

http://www.altenergy...-united-states/

http://www.altenergy...ving-tips-here/

http://www.altenergy...clear-reactors/

http://www.altenergy...h-solar-energy/

http://www.altenergy...ee-coal-plants/

#8 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:05 AM

Thank you for your optimistic posts; especially on our water scarcity. Too often, all we hear about is the doom
and gloom aspect of our changing climate.
It's refreshing to see individuals and corporations moving forward to solutions.

Maybe because these civilizations are ancient; we don't take their lessens to heart? Many of them died off or
were forced to move on because of lack of water.
http://io9.com/59280...s-circumstances

#9 mikedall

mikedall

Curious

• Shifter
  • 33 posts 2 rep

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:58 PM

We really need to conserve water before it's too late.. Great news! Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users