Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Grow a tree per tshirt campaign

5 replies to this topic

#1 JinQuan

JinQuan

• Shifter
  • 4 posts 0 rep

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm starting a small project which I hope might lead to a social enterprise.

I am trying to sell tshirts on teespring, and the profits from these tshirts will form the foundation of a new social enterprise, Quantify Trees. Its aim is give people the opportunity to "own" a tree, by working with non-profit environmental organisations, and growing one tree per sale of each tshirt. Contributing to a tree will allow one to cover a good portion of their carbon footprint. If all 7 billion people in the world is each responsible for one tree, we would have solve a big part of our climate problem. I envision Quantify Trees to support climate change in 2 ways, to grow a tree per tshirt and for people to spread the word when they wear the tshirt.

I hope you can help me in any way you can. Either by supporting me with the tshirts at teespring

paste "quantifytrees_campaign1" behind the teespring url.

or introduce me to any environmental organisation I can connect with to set up the process of planting a tree for every tshirt sale.

Thanks for reading this! Feeling hopeful that everyone here wants to protect our environment.

JinQuan

#2 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

Crowdfunding; maybe a good idea - maybe bad.
Although it's a good idea to spread awareness about planting more trees a lot of questions come up.
Where are the t-shirts from? china most likely.
Who works in those factories? Children with low pay and no benefits.
How many gallons of water are they using (and losing through dyes and other chemicals that cannot be
recirculated) and evaporation to manufacture those t's?

A better idea-
spend a few bucks and plant one. (or 60 or 3800!) :laugh:
http://www.arborday.org/

#3 JinQuan

JinQuan

• Shifter
  • 4 posts 0 rep

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:39 AM

Hi Shortpoet,

Thanks for the link! Thats exactly what I'm looking for, a non-profit org that can grow trees if I donate.
The idea is that its easier to ask people to buy things of value than to ask for donations, thats why I call it a social enterprise. Like I said, it works 2 prong, when they buy a tshirt, the money goes into such non-profit org to grow trees, when they wear the tshirt they spread the word. Currently the idea is very much in its infancy, and I'm using only US-based tshirt drop shipping services for the convenience, I'm not sure where their sources are from. But thanks to your comment, I will definitely keep note of this if this project grows bigger.

Sorry I'm not sure how to quote properly. I cant seem to send it as the system keeps saying there's a web link even though I removed it.

JinQuan

#4 JinQuan

JinQuan

• Shifter
  • 4 posts 0 rep

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:53 AM

View PostBesoeker, on 02 August 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

I'll leave aside the comments related to the social welfare, working conditions, and use of resources for now. In the absence of factual and quantitative data is speculation.

Planting a tree?
Good idea. But where?
I live in a fairly average residential street in UK.. It is oddly divided with three parallel streets bearing the same name. Don't ask me what eejit came up with that daft notion but it can be a challenge for delivery drivers not familiar with the area.

Anyway, in total there are about 300 residences, spaced to be around 50 on each side of the three streets. Not a single one has enough space to plant a a tree. In fact one was removed from the pavement (sidewalk) between our back fence and the road (municipal land) because the roots were causing damage to the road, the sidewalk, our back garden, and getting into the drains.

Our situation isn't by any means unique. It's replicated across UK and much of Europe. Then you have the city dwellers.

We went to have lunch with my son today. He has a really nice place one the edge of London. No garden. No place to plant anything.

Then you have the really high density living.
So, back to my question.

Planting a tree?
Good idea. But where?

Hi Besoeker,

I live in Singapore, my preliminary idea is for the trees to be planted in SouthEast Asia, in areas that are not populated by trees yet, and are of considerable distance from cities so the area won't be developed so soon. I know it is not easy to actually achieve this, but I hope to garner some support on my basic idea before growing the idea and eventually growing trees.

With regards to your situation in UK, I believe it depends on the govt's planning and policies. Singapore is similar to London in terms of population density, but due to good planning, our streets are lined up with trees. The trees act as a carbon filter between the roads and the buildings, and also provide shade for our sunny island. Some have called us a Garden City because of this.

Anyway, I don't intend to be planting trees where I live, in Singapore we can't just plant anywhere we like unless we own the land.

Thanks for your reply!
JinQuan

#5 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:56 AM

I've had this note in my back car window for years (3 different cars so far)-
"Breathe free, plant a tree." :laugh:
Thanks JinQuan and welcome to the boards. :wink:

#6 JinQuan