Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Saving the World

5 replies to this topic

#1 MattBnB

MattBnB

• Shifter
  • 6 posts 1 rep

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:59 AM

Hey guys I just found the forum and am so glad I did. Im an engineer and entrepreneur who wants to help fight the way things have been going lately. I don't want to let our planet slowly be pillaged into oblivion and love what everybody on the forum is doing.

I want to do my part and put my skills to work for good. Anyone have any ideas for products that could push the green initiative and help the environment they would like to have but could never find?

I do know what to do, only that helping is what I want and hope somebody has a cool idea I can help bring into the world.

Cheers,

Matt

#2 Besoeker

Besoeker

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 945 posts 64 rep

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:21 AM

View PostMattBnB, on 23 July 2014 - 06:59 AM, said:

Hey guys I just found the forum and am so glad I did. Im an engineer and entrepreneur who wants to help fight the way things have been going lately. I don't want to let our planet slowly be pillaged into oblivion and love what everybody on the forum is doing.

I want to do my part and put my skills to work for good. Anyone have any ideas for products that could push the green initiative and help the environment they would like to have but could never find?

I do know what to do, only that helping is what I want and hope somebody has a cool idea I can help bring into the world.

Cheers,

Matt
First of all, welcome to the forum.

I'm also an engineer. Electrical that is.
I run a power electronics division. Most of my work involves variable speed drives for pumps and fans.
Reducing the speed of a pump to reduce flow saves massive amounts of energy and that's the main driving force for customers investing in them - huge energy saving delivers huge financial savings.

I've been at it for most of my professional life - forty some years.
To that extent I've put my skills to work.
I hope you can also put your skills to work. It is quite rewarding at a personal level to see the results of what you have helped achieve.

Good luck to you!

#3 MattBnB

MattBnB

• Shifter
  • 6 posts 1 rep

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:09 AM

View PostBesoeker, on 23 July 2014 - 07:21 AM, said:

First of all, welcome to the forum.

I'm also an engineer. Electrical that is.
I run a power electronics division. Most of my work involves variable speed drives for pumps and fans.
Reducing the speed of a pump to reduce flow saves massive amounts of energy and that's the main driving force for customers investing in them - huge energy saving delivers huge financial savings.

I've been at it for most of my professional life - forty some years.
To that extent I've put my skills to work.
I hope you can also put your skills to work. It is quite rewarding at a personal level to see the results of what you have helped achieve.

Good luck to you!

I used to do the same work. Did at internship at a turbine/blower company...Gardner Denver.

#4 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

I second that WELCOME. :biggrin:

My best advise is to vote with your wallet.
Real labels and don't buy products with chemicals, additives and fillers (sugar/salt/high fructose corn
syrup, palm oil-etc.) in it (not always possible but strive for it.)

Of course, the old standby's-recycle as much as you can.
Along those lines, try to buy products with packaging that can be recycled; ignore the rest.
Invest in water saver's for the shower, faucets and commode.
Unplug or install power strips on all e-gadgets and turn them off at night, or when not in use.
Vampire energy eats up a lot of coal.
Reduce (eliminate completely is best) beef, pork, chicken and other meats from your diet. (Emissions/chemicals)

We can all talk the talk; but our members also walk the walk. We try to lead by example. B)

#5 SheforACT

SheforACT

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:35 AM

Shortpoet-GTD already cited almost every thing you could do to help save the world.  But just to add up, you could do proper waste disposal (especially the chemicals and toxic ones).  This is just so simple to do (at home) yet very rewarding and can keep your family, your community (or the people/households around you) and our environment safe and healthy.  Hope this helps.

#6 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

View PostSheforACT, on 27 August 2014 - 05:35 AM, said:

Shortpoet-GTD already cited almost every thing you could do to help save the world.  But just to add up, you could do proper waste disposal (especially the chemicals and toxic ones).  This is just so simple to do (at home) yet very rewarding and can keep your family, your community (or the people/households around you) and our environment safe and healthy.  Hope this helps.
Thanks Shef; I appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users