Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Walmart isn't green.

emissions shipping consumption

29 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:39 AM

Despite their flag waving and bs ads about how "sustainable" and green the retail giant
claims to be; the fact remains; walmart isn't green at all and it's getting worse.

http://www.ilsr.org/walmart-climate/

http://www.huffingto...tm_hp_ref=green

#2 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:40 PM

The Guardian disagrees with me.
http://www.theguardi...=greenbiztweets

#3 Besoeker

Besoeker

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 945 posts 64 rep

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:32 AM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 22 May 2014 - 05:40 PM, said:

The Guardian disagrees with me.
Perhaps disagrees with your other sources rather than you personally....

#4 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:30 PM

View PostBesoeker, on 23 May 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

Perhaps disagrees with your other sources rather than you personally....
That's what I mean silly, I didn't take it personally. Geez

#5 Besoeker

Besoeker

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 945 posts 64 rep

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:32 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 23 May 2014 - 03:30 PM, said:

That's what I mean silly, I didn't take it personally. Geez
Nor did I.
I didn't claim that either disagrees with me.
Believe it or not, neither actually asked for my opinion.
:tongue:

#6 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:22 AM

View PostBesoeker, on 23 May 2014 - 10:32 PM, said:

Nor did I.
I didn't claim that either disagrees with me.
Believe it or not, neither actually asked for my opinion.
:tongue:
Why not comment on walmart instead of directing your comments towards what I say? That would be a refreshing change.

#7 Besoeker

Besoeker

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 945 posts 64 rep

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:39 AM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 24 May 2014 - 04:22 AM, said:

Why not comment on walmart instead of directing your comments towards what I say?
Isn't that's what discussion means?

#8 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:49 PM

View PostBesoeker, on 24 May 2014 - 07:39 AM, said:

Isn't that's what discussion means?
Yes, on the subject at hand.

#9 Besoeker

Besoeker

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 945 posts 64 rep

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:06 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 24 May 2014 - 12:49 PM, said:

Yes, on the subject at hand.
At least we agree on that.

#10 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:10 PM

Bloomberg reports on an investigation into "possible" violations of the foreign Corrupt Practices Act;
at their Mexico unit. The Bangladesh fire in 2012 in a garment factory (walmart supplier)
is also mentioned in the piece. (2nd link)

http://www.businessw...ity-at-wal-mart

http://www.nytimes.c...jures-many.html

(Granted, this has to do with unfair business practices. Point being; can we as consumers trust this
retail behemoth to be honest about their sustainable practices?) :wacko:

From the New York Times article-
"But 30 miles away in Mexico City, at the headquarters of Wal-Mart de Mexico, executives were not about to be thwarted by an unfavorable zoning decision. Instead, records and interviews show, they decided to undo the damage with one well-placed $52,000 bribe.
The plan was simple. The zoning map would not become law until it was published in a government newspaper. So Wal-Mart de Mexico arranged to bribe an official to change the map before it was sent to the newspaper, records and interviews show. Sure enough, when the map was published, the zoning for Mrs. Pineda’s field was redrawn to allow Wal-Mart’s store."
http://www.nytimes.c...an.html?hp&_r=0

Also, a Treehugger article-
http://www.treehugge...t-retailer.html

#11 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:02 AM

"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot"................for another walmart store. <_< :sad: :angry: :sick:

Pine rocklands-imperiled eco-systems bulldozed in Florida.
http://www.takepart....-rarest-forests

#12 Green Gene

Green Gene

• Shifter
  • 2 posts 1 rep

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

Walmart is the most selfish and unAmerican company operating in America today that offers one of the lowest wages and least employee benefits. Those of us over age 50 recall how they pulled off the greatest "bait and switch" scam in U.S. history and forced over 80,000 family-owned businesses into bankruptcy.

For you youngsters, here is a brief summary...

* Prior to Walmart there was Wollworths, Kresge, Hudson Bay Company, and thousands of mom and pop retail variety stores that sold better quality goods than Walmart in ever city with at least a 500,000 population.

* Wlamart entered the scene in the 70s with a motto "Made in America" and Sam Walton boasted that everything sold in his store was made in America and therefore true patriots should shop at Walmart. Prices were low due to cost consolidation and Walmart s buying power. We took the bait.

* Walmart stole the market from all the others competitors who could not afford to compete even though they still offered better quality goods.

* With all the competition gone, Walton lost his patiotism and no longer sells ANYTHING made in America in his stories and most of it is now low quality Chinese made crap.

Were you also fooled?

#13 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for your input and Welcome :biggrin:  to the boards.
A few other threads you may find interesting on that mega giant-wm.

http://www.altenergy...worldwide-soon/

http://www.altenergy...ge__hl__walmart

http://www.altenergy...lmart#entry7011

http://www.altenergy...lmart#entry3999

As you can see, we've been talking about this corporation (to put it nicely) for a long time and none of us
are fans here either.

#14 Besoeker

Besoeker

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 945 posts 64 rep

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:58 PM

View PostGreen Gene, on 25 July 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

Walmart is the most selfish and unAmerican company operating in America today that offers one of the lowest wages and least employee benefits. Those of us over age 50 recall how they pulled off the greatest "bait and switch" scam in U.S. history and forced over 80,000 family-owned businesses into bankruptcy.

For you youngsters, here is a brief summary...

* Prior to Walmart there was Wollworths, Kresge, Hudson Bay Company, and thousands of mom and pop retail variety stores that sold better quality goods than Walmart in ever city with at least a 500,000 population.

* Wlamart entered the scene in the 70s with a motto "Made in America" and Sam Walton boasted that everything sold in his store was made in America and therefore true patriots should shop at Walmart. Prices were low due to cost consolidation and Walmart s buying power. We took the bait.

* Walmart stole the market from all the others competitors who could not afford to compete even though they still offered better quality goods.

* With all the competition gone, Walton lost his patiotism and no longer sells ANYTHING made in America in his stories and most of it is now low quality Chinese made crap.

Were you also fooled?

I think it's happening the world over and Walmart is one example,
I live on the outskirts of a town, probably what you'd refer to as a city .It has been around a very long time - it predates Roman occupation of Britain and the High Street follows the path of an ancient Roman road,

Traditionally, High Streets in Britain were the bustling shopping centres and often featured a market.
Sadly, like many others, it has died a death. There is a small covered shopping mall but at least one in three boarded up. The heart of the town has faded away.

But there is an ASDA* not far from the high street. Pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap sort of philosophy. Products are from all over the world and often from China.Particularly electricals. But then, where can you buy anything like that not made in China?

Who do you blame? The giant supermarkets and greed are an easy target of course. But, in reality, it is the buying public. Ordinary people like you and I. People vote with their feet. Or wallets in this case. No customers, no business.

But I think the giant supermarkets also have a sell by date. More and more people are shopping on line. Much more civilised than the pushing, shoving, and queuing you have to endure when you do it in person. And, generally greener. We have our weekly grocery shopping delivered. One small van does 20-30 drops in one trip and collects the previous lot of plastic bags. That potentially saves up to 30 vehicle trips.

*Historically,almost a hundred years ago, ASDA was selling dairy products.
It was Associated Dairies, merged with Asquith to become ASquith DAiries - hence ASDA.
So a somewhat similar background to Walmart.
As it happens, ASDA was acquired by Walmart in 1999.

#15 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:04 AM

While I agree that consumers vote with their wallets, the walmarts of the world (target, k-mart, costco, sam's club;
an off-shoot of wm) perpetrate the issue with low wages; and trade deals with the Asian markets have made
things worse over the years.
Locally owned shops used to primarily sell American made (often Union made) products. More jobs in
America, more Americans spending their wages on quality.

Then the manufacturers said; "Wait a minute. Why should I see you an item that will last for years; when I
can get it made cheaper; with cheaper parts. It will fall apart quicker, so I can sell you another one, and
another one, and another one."

As politicians gleefully busted up Unions, wages went down.
Corporations embraced cheap goods and cheap labor in off shore countries. We lost thousands (if not millions).
of manufacturing jobs.
The "supremes" added to the mayhem with their giveaway to corporations with citizens united ruling (but that's another
thread)

As the economy went belly up, the buying public (in general, not always) has been forced to buy these cheap
goods; again perpetrating the down spiral.

How the big box retail outfits also entice us is with one stop shopping. You don't have to drive all over town
for this or that; it's all in one place. (Years ago, traveling in Europe I saw a button shop. That's all they
sold; buttons. Those sort's of shop don't exist much anymore).

All we can do is promote shopping local and buying American made goods from smaller shops; but how
many reading this will do that? 10%? 20%?

#16 Besoeker

Besoeker

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 945 posts 64 rep

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:48 AM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 26 July 2014 - 06:04 AM, said:

While I agree that consumers vote with their wallets, the walmarts of the world (target, k-mart, costco, sam's club;
an off-shoot of wm) perpetrate the issue with low wages; and trade deals with the Asian markets have made
things worse over the years.
Locally owned shops used to primarily sell American made (often Union made) products. More jobs in
America, more Americans spending their wages on quality.
Yes, valid points,
In UK at least, you can still buy local produce. For some things anyway. Admittedly it's getting more difficult and more inconvenient. For certain items, consumer goods in particular, locally produced is nigh on impossible.
Quite often goods badged locally are made elsewhere.
Badge engineering we sometimes call it. And it's being going on longer that most people probably realise.

Then the manufacturers said; "Wait a minute. Why should I see you an item that will last for years; when I
can get it made cheaper; with cheaper parts. It will fall apart quicker, so I can sell you another one, and
another one, and another one."
I think that used to be true for goods made in Asia and the Far East.
Possibly this has gone through a cycle. And possibly some plagiarism.
You might want, can get a real Harley made in USA. Or a Japanese clone with the same V-twin that gives the HD that distinctive tail pipe note. (My cousin has one - a Kwaker I think but you'd be hard pressed to tell from 10 feet away.
Or any number of touring bikes with quieter, smoother engines.
My last couple of cars have been Japanese. Build quality, reliability, fuel economy, and equipment levels far exceed that of the Mercedes Benz that preceded them.
Enough on that.

As politicians gleefully busted up Unions, wages went down.
Corporations embraced cheap goods and cheap labor in off shore countries. We lost thousands (if not millions).
of manufacturing jobs.
Again, something that I have mixed feelings about.
No doubt you will know of Maggie Thatcher, a British prime minister who was at loggerheads with the unions, particularly in mining, and their powers were considerably emasculated as a result.

But as always, there's usually more than side to a story.
Many people in Britain now have a less than benign attitude to the power held by unions. Their ability to bring manufacturing plants to a standstill on what seemed a whim did not, and does not, sit well with many. Demarcation disputes were rife. Employers were being held to ransom. No output, no income.No revenue.

Between that, and the poor management, the British motor industry, steel, shipbuilding and many others have been lost. British manufacturing wen from being a jewel in the crown to a joke. In just a few decades.

All we can do is promote shopping local and buying American made goods from smaller shops; but how
many reading this will do that? 10%? 20%?

Those who want to, can afford to, and can find American made goods to suit their needs.
Regardless of whether they read this.

#17 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:46 PM

All valid points; good discussion vs arguing. (But I suppose the arguing is my point of view and not always correct)
Thanks.

#18 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:50 AM

This article isn't related to how non-green wm is; but they may be going bye-bye. (Be still my beating heart) :laugh:
On-line shopping is making a dent in their sales. :tongue:
Via Huffington Post/Green
http://www.huffingto...ref=mostpopular

#19 Besoeker

Besoeker

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 945 posts 64 rep

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:48 AM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 31 July 2014 - 05:50 AM, said:

This article isn't related to how non-green wm is; but they may be going bye-bye. (Be still my beating heart) :laugh:
On-line shopping is making a dent in their sales. :tongue:
Can't you buy on line from Walmart?
You can here from ASDA, a subsidiary.

#20 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:53 PM

View PostBesoeker, on 31 July 2014 - 06:48 AM, said:

Can't you buy on line from Walmart?
You can here from ASDA, a subsidiary.