Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

A Bigger Issue than Climate Change ?

8 replies to this topic

#1 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

The issue of Bio Diversity loss has been an issue that has seemed to have faded in the environmental movement.  Check out this article.

Is There a Bigger Environmental Issue Than Climate Change?  Scientists Say Yes
http://www.kcet.org/...ts-say-yes.html

Now this loss of biodiversity may be causing permanent changes to our forests.

The Southwest’s forest may never recover from megafires.
http://grist.org/cli...from-megafires/

Then you have to account for pollution.
Colorado’s oil and gas boom is polluting the states air.
http://grist.org/new...the-states-air/

So it might be a cascade effect for the forests in the southwest and loss of bio diversity.

#2 Dingo

Dingo

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 173 posts -8 rep

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

View PostE3 wise, on 08 July 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

The issue of Bio Diversity loss has been an issue that has seemed to have faded in the environmental movement.  Check out this article.

Is There a Bigger Environmental Issue Than Climate Change?  Scientists Say Yes
http://www.kcet.org/...ts-say-yes.html
Interesting how this sets up a conflict with the solar technology folks.

you don't see climate groups starting biodiversity programs.

Quite the opposite, especially in the California deserts, where the threat of climate change is being used as a reason to bulldoze habitat that is vital to endangered, threatened and rare species. Though the popular conception of the desert is of a barren place unpopulated by wildlife, California's deserts are in fact a biodiversity treasure, with varied topography and climate breeding new species that continue to be discovered at a surprising rate. Pick a square-mile section of the California desert at random and you run about a 75 percent chance of finding at least one sensitive plant species there, usually more. And yet the once green-leaning Governor of California has adopted bulldozing the desert for renewable energy development as official Administration policy, and the California Energy Commission routinely grants permits to desert energy development despite irremediable impacts to desert biodiversity, citing the need for non-carbon energy as an "overriding consideration" more important than trying to forestall the coming mass extinction.

#3 Dustoffer

Dustoffer

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 471 posts 91 rep

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:36 PM

What happened to Dingo?    A good sport usually....
Biodiversity loss is a part of the whole, and is most affected by CAGW.
When we most likely, IMHO, will have transpired one of the greatest extinction episodes in Earth history.
Overpopulation>pollution of the biosphere way beyond absorption abilities>thermal max and 95% ELE,
or even a runaway greenhouse effect and no life at all evermore.....
Why do they have to ruin the desert when the roofs are fine?  You know, right where they use it, like us.

#4 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

it is very interesting how bio diversity is being lost due to housing and building development, one of the best examples is here where we live in South Florida.  As new homes and buildings are being built, swamp land is drained and filled, local trees and plants are cut down and replaced with non native plants like palm trees instead of the native trees and plants, habitats for birds, reptiles and native animals like ground owls are lost, as just an example.

Then you have the exact opposite in places like Austin Texas where building codes require that native habitats must be protected when new development is going on. There the mindset I to work with nature not destroy it  They also use more sustainable building practices,

So in many cases local building codes make  big difference.

#5 Dustoffer

Dustoffer

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 471 posts 91 rep

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:08 PM

A lot of places, most, unfortunately, do not have good codes for building and are rife with corruption from the developer/politicians cabal.  I wrote to Gore in 1995 to force all new construction in the USA be independent Earthship/straw bale type eco-buildings, and also outlaw V-8s and big engined vehicles, among 12 things needed to make the USA sustainable.
This will be of interest;
http://earthship.com...2#!/catid=1;3;4

#6 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:06 AM

View PostDustoffer, on 02 May 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

What happened to Dingo? A good sport usually....
Off topic reply; as far as I can tell, trolls gave him so many negative votes, he was automatically stopped from posting.
That's why I've mentioned down votes to everyone here a few times; because of trolls, we lose posters.
I've given him several up votes to counter it but it wasn't enough.

#7 Dustoffer

Dustoffer

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 471 posts 91 rep

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

There is no bigger issue, now, than CAGW.
Before that, it was the root cause, human overpopulation, that was the biggest issue.
Air pollution includes CO2, but like the fossil fuel people, it isn't thought of in this section on air pollution.
Maybe it is because it seems so innocent because it is odorless and colorless, fizzes our drinks, and keeps frozen food cold on the way home.
The things that kill more directly are thought of more.  
"Climate change" is too simplistic to me  and does not relate to the malevolent nature of the change.   It doesn't convey the end result of causing a very large mass extinction event.   Losing species at the rate of the past 30 years has put us already in the middle of an extinction event.  If we can reduce all emissions enough in time, or if the population crashes soon from a geologic event, maybe the warming can be kept from a runaway, and 80% of species would make it.

#8 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:17 AM

Found another powerful ad-this one on air pollution.

Attached File  air pollution.jpg   143.46K   0 downloads

#9 SheforACT

SheforACT

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:33 PM

View PostDustoffer, on 02 May 2014 - 01:08 PM, said:

"corruption from the developer/politicians cabal."

Sigh.  This corruption is so famous in almost all places/countries in the world.  I guess this has becoming the norm everywhere; these types of people in the government and offices are greedy and selfish.  This is how the world runs in this time and age.  Is there a way to stop them other than leading a protest and the sort?  Nah, I guess, we or I, personally, should just live with it. :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users