Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

January’s 2013 Alternative Energy First

15 replies to this topic

#1 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

In 1989 Lois and I were having dinner in Austin Texas with some friends talking about the future of alternative energy and when it would be apparent to everyone that the future of energy generation was at a tipping point.  A point where it was undeniable that alternative energy would from that point on be the primary form of new energy instillations.  We discussed the many factors that would bring this to pass, peak oil, water availability, economic competitiveness, social awareness.

At that time climate change was just beginning to come into the scientific realm of understanding, so that did not play a role in our thinking.  After several drinks I asked everyone around the table to make a bet as to the year when this revolution would occur.

Everyone including myself was wildly optimistic. Several said by 2000, others 2005 or 2006, Lois bet on 2001 and I agreed with her.  Twenty four year later, that dinner came to mind as we prepared our 2012 assessment of Alternative energy instillation in the United States which showed that 47.7% of all new energy instillation were from alternative energy almost half.  My thought was maybe we were getting close to that point we had discussed so many years ago.

Then today I got this little news nugget and chills literally ran down my spine, I was watching history in the making. http://thehill.com/b...dded-in-january

Basically the story is simple in January 2013 Renewable energy sources accounted for all new energy instillation in the United States.  That’s right for the first time in American history 100% of all new energy generation for an entire month came from renewable energy.

In all, 1,231 megawatts of new generating capacity were installed in January. Of that total, wind provided 958 megawatts, solar chipped in 267 megawatts and biomass contributed 6 megawatts.

That's a marked difference from January 2012, when coal led the way with 808 megawatts of the 1,693 megawatts added. Natural gas followed with 445 megawatts, and wind tossed in 276 megawatts to take the pole for renewables.

My sources tell me that it may be the same for February and March also with a couple of Natural Gas facilities coming on line in early April.  If true we could be seeing a three month sweep for Renewables, so now maybe we are finally reaching that elusive tipping point here in the United States.  I attribute it to three factors, 1st economics which are finally coming in line with fossil fuels, 2nd tougher emission standards to deal with climate change, 3rd social awareness that renewables can provide the energy needed to fuel our growing needs cleanly while saving huge amounts of water, earths most threatened natural resources.

What do YOU think, add your thoughts, for me the future of Americas Energy Generation looks more Renewable everyday.

Jeff Moore  Environmental Power & Water Generation

#2 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:46 AM

So tell me what do you think of this historical event.

#3 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:59 AM

People have been slow to come to this conclusion, but now they're realizing that renewables will be here forever
and they don't pollute like tar sands, coal and oil.

With the media coverage and the social media talking about the tar sands, people are understanding these
dirty fuel policies better, and have said no; i.e. XL pipeline and the impacts it could have on groundwaters;
not to mention the non-stop coverage of the bp oil spill. We were all witness to the damage, not only
to the water, but the marsh lands and the food supplies we rely on.

Even climate change deniers don't want to breathe filthy air, (coal) or drink contaminated water.(fracking)

The only comments I've heard against wind turbines is the look of them; I haven't heard much anti-solar comments
at all. What's not to love? :tongue:

Natural gas is very problematic though because of all the chemicals used to get it.
And thanks to chaney/halliburton, we're still clueless about those ingredients. That has to change.
The post extraction holding ponds are also a huge issue.

Geo thermal is still on the back burner; it's only starting to be advertised or talked about recently.
Dam's? Cleaner than fossil fuels but can ruin eco-systems; and the process of making the cement for dam's is not eco-friendly either.

The only long term problem I see with solar is running out of the rare Earth's that are used in the manufacturing process.
But, it's possible we can figure out a way to replicate (clone) those elements in the future too, so it's not that big a worry.

Thanks for the positive, going in the right direction, post. :wink: Good news is always welcome. :biggrin: B)

#4 eds

eds

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 3,981 posts 263 rep

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

There are a lot of positive signs for renewable energy right now,
. . . especially in 3rd world countries,
. . . where there is little or no "Grid."
A "Tipping Point" has been reached in some places, by ubiquitous
. . . Cellphones and/or
. . . Electric Bicycles and/or
. . . Lights.

Japan is showing massive change to renewable energy,
. . . as are Germany and neighboring countries like Belgium
. . . who are in the process of unplugging from Nuclear Energy.

But, looking at this chart of the USA's energy sources
. . . (even with USA's waste of over 1/2 of all it's energy) and
. . . (even with cars waste of over 85% of all it's energy)
. . . we are a long way from a renewable energy "Tipping Point."

Energy is just too expensive to waste,
. . . our Country can not afford this waste,
. . . our Businesses can not afford this waste, and
. . . our Homes can not afford this waste,
But to reach a renewable energy "Tipping Point"
. . . individuals need a PRACTICAL plan on how to "Unplug" from wasting energy.

My plan is to start with the small stuf, and work my way up.
. . . Like my shop tools are all electric and
. . . now I've replaced all my yard tools, from gas to electric.
. . . (Lawn mower, leaf blower, chain saw, snow blower)
. . . (What a relief!  They are all "Less Expensive," lighter in weight, easier to handle,  
. . . start instantly, require almost no maintenance, take up less storage space,
. . . use less expensive Fuel, and all work with the same 100 foot cord)

#5 eds

eds

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 3,981 posts 263 rep

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

The United Nations declared 2012 as the Year of Energy Access.
. . . And 2014 to 2024 has been declared as the Decade of Energy Access.

Social enterprises like
. . . . . . Selco India,
. . . . . . SolarAid and
. . . . . .Solar Sister that train and employ hundreds of micro-entrepreneurs.
Companies like
. . . . . . d.light,
. . . . . . Barefoot Power,
. . . . . . Greenlight Planet, and
. . . . . . BBoxx have created solar energy solutions
. . . designed specifically for off-grid markets that are sold
. . . through local distribution channels.
Impact investing funds that specifically target high-impact energy companies exist, like
. . . . . . Acumen Fund and
. . . . . . Invested Development.
Incubation and mentoring programs like
. . . . . Embark Energy and
. . . . . Challenges Worldwide provide a launch pad for local entrepreneurs.

Source:  good

#6 eds

eds

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 3,981 posts 263 rep

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Some companies are working for a Paradigm Shift

Source:  bboxx  energy-development-on-public-lands  Texas-Chen.pdf

#7 eds

eds

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 3,981 posts 263 rep

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

Believe me when I say,
. . . that I have wanted to go 100% scaleable Solar,
. . . since the first gasoline shortage,
. . . back in 1974, when it was 87.9 cents a gallon.
. . . helpless to do anything about the situation.
And my blood pressure goes up each time
. . . we allow it to happen again and again.
But the PRICE of practical Solar Energy has always been
. . . frustratingly out of reach and
. . . the price of gas always became cheap again.

Now, I am beginning to see Solar Generators,
. . . that ALMOST reach my criteria of
. . . Economy, Simplicity and Flexibility.
When that happens,
. . . it will be an ASSET that I MUST HAVE.
. . . Giving me some POWER over my own ENERGY.

But I'm just one individual, do other people feel the same way?

if we look at renewables from the point of view of
. . . where are Business, non-profits, universities, City/town, State, Country and Regions
. . . pledging to go 100% renewables on a world map,
. . . then just look at the source below.

Source: go100percent

Attached Files

#8 Dustoffer

Dustoffer

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 471 posts 91 rep

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

It is great that all NEW energy installations in January, in the USA were so called renewables.(not instillations!).  
However, what matters MOST is drastically lowering emissions from ALL sources.  Most of the coal plants should be replaced with GenIV waste using reactors, according the Hansen, along with all new and many old replacements being from solar, wind, tidal and wave hydro, depending on location.  He also said it would be necessary to reduce demand through not just efficiency and use reductions, but combined with population reduction.  The combination of all of them would be necessary to reduce emissions enough to stop the crossing of thermal tipping points which are the formations of unstoppable positive feedback loops in nature.  It also means stopping slash and burn farming, diesel powered ocean and other transport, along with the virtual end of the jet age.
January showed an important baby step.  We must remember, time is of the essence.

#9 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

I think it shows we are doing things right.  Our carbon footprint has been going down for years and our use of alternatives have doubled year over year.  Even though early on zero x 2 = zero, alternatives have grown enough now that if we continue to double, it will quickly add up.

As I advocate the total build out of alternatives and only build more baseline when we need it, I am obviously thrilled.  This is exactly what I hoped would happen.

#10 Dustoffer

Dustoffer

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 471 posts 91 rep

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

I will be thrilled if we can get on track to that 90% HGHG reduction in 3-11 years as is needed to prevent ecocide.

#11 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

That is the third worlds decision, it's out of our hands.  All signs point to no.

#12 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:11 AM

What is important to me in this tread is the clear sign that utilities are now viewing renewables on the same level as fossil fuels for future energy need.  If as my source are saying Feburary does the same then are we entering a year when renewables will be installed more than other sources.

#13 eds

eds

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 3,981 posts 263 rep

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

View PostE3 wise, on 26 February 2013 - 04:11 AM, said:

What is important to me in this tread is the clear sign that utilities are now viewing renewables on the same level as fossil fuels for future energy need.
"Utilities," have a Monopoly!  (inertia, without competition, slow to change)
. . . When the average person, is able to afford to "UNPLUG" from a Monopoly,
. . . a lot of changes happen. . . FAST!

#14 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

That is very true.  When utilities go solar my guess is they would raise rates to pay for it, the beauty of solar is that the homeowner can use it and he get's the benefit, not the uility.  You don't need to unplug, you just need net metering at consumer rates.

#15 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

I agree Ed's and Phil the current utility model is slanted toward utilities, I much prefer a generative model that benefits consumers, it also hardens the grid.  Yet if utilities are the major supplier of a significant portion of electricity to the public moving to renewables is much better than more coal or nuclear power plants.  Like wise I am hopeful that over time electric rates will actually lower due to the ability of not having to buy fuel.

#16 eds

eds

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 3,981 posts 263 rep

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:43 AM

View PostE3 wise, on 27 February 2013 - 06:18 AM, said:

I agree Ed's and Phil the current utility model is slanted toward utilities, I much prefer a generative model that benefits consumers, it also hardens the grid.  Yet if utilities are the major supplier of a significant portion of electricity to the public moving to renewables is much better than more coal or nuclear power plants.  Like wise I am hopeful that over time electric rates will actually lower due to the ability of not having to buy fuel.
Sounds like a Win/Win situation.  
. . . Being able to generate energy, where it's consumed, saves all the energy lost in distribution and leveling.  
. . . The only thing missing is "Unplugging" non-renewable  transportation and heating systems.

Source:  Energy-chart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users