Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

China's air pollution at dangerous levels.

28 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:31 AM

As we read this article, we may think; oh, that's their problem.
But is it?
We will all be breathing that pollution too; air moves globally. It's not "their" problem,
it's our problem.

"The Beijing Municipal Environmental Monitoring Center said on its website that the density of PM2.5 particulates had reached 700 micrograms per cubic meter in many parts of the city, a level considered extremely hazardous.
The index runs from zero to 500 and accounts for the level of airborne PM 2.5 particulates — tiny particles considered the most harmful to health.

Monitors at the U.S. Embassy in Beijing recorded an off-the-chart air-quality reading of 755 at 8 p.m. Saturday and said the PM2.5 density had reached 886 micrograms per cubic meter."
Source

Will China move away from coal?

#2 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

I remember during the Beijing Olympics China employed all sorts of methods to clean its air.  Athletes trained on an island near China that had poor air quality so they could acclimate.

Analysts are always touting China's business prowess as something we should all aspire to.  But, at what price?  There were images on the news of the smog showing a thick brown layer covering everything.  I wonder what the cost of health care is in China due to such bad air quality?  There are tradeoffs.

I agree that we will all breath the effects.  That air doesn't just sit on top of China.  I wonder how much of the poor air quality that neighboring countries have is contributed to their own practices or seeps in from China?

#3 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

I remember seeing a program (something on PBS probably) about China having oxygen masks on utility
poles, years and years ago.
Kind of like a parking meter. Pedestrians put in a few quarters (guessing here) and get a few minutes
of pure oxygen.
But with the information being so scant coming out of that country, I can't find anything to back up
that statement.
I'm sure they're still in use or even added more for people. At least, hopefully.
They shouldn't suffer because their government are loony-tunes and hell bent on cheap coal.

Maybe this horrid air will push more back to bikes rather than cars. Their car buying has been off the charts
and this is the result.

#4 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

In the early 2000s, I worked with a woman who came from China as an adult.  She always wore a mask out in public like the medical kind.  I thought it was odd.  But, now I understand.  It was probably necessary from where she came from.

We used to think the smog in the San Francisco Bay Area was bad in the 70s when I was growing up.  It was a brown haze on the horizon.  Even so, it made breathing difficult for some.  My brother was particularly affected on bad days.  In fact, I remember when we would go down to Southern California to visit my Grandmother he would have problems with his asthma.  Only the Matterhorn at Disneyland would cure him!  But, even as bad as what we experienced, it was nothing like it is in China.

It makes me wonder about areas in the US.  Is the smog this bad anywhere in our own country?  Or, even where regulations aren't the strongest, are they still better than what is in place in China?

#5 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:39 AM

LA has cleaned up considerably since I was there in the 70's. It used to be horrible.

It's not smog per se, but on windy days (quite a few here) the dust can kick up and visibility goes down
rapidly. Considering what is in that dust, it can probably be just as bad as smog.

2010 American Lung Association reports that more than 1/2 of the population in the states lives with
dangerous pollution levels.
Phoenix and it's surrounding towns have risen to #1.
Bakersfield came in at #2, LA, Pittsburgh, Birmingham, Al., Cincinnati, St. Louis.
Source

And of course, we cannot forget the air quality when wildfires are burning, and we experienced a higher than
normal average.
(Acres burned in 2012- 137 compared to the average of 85)
Source

And a breakdown of all the various pollutants we are breathing in on a daily basis.
Source

#6 yoder

yoder

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

China has built itself into a disaster, because it was too late by the time they saw the damage they were doing.  The strange and kind of amazing thing is that they have accounted for 43% of the global wind power market, and with India account for more than 50%.  Unfortunately, this just hasn't been enough to offset the damage done by their unsustainable growth and the fact that the majority of new power production was coal.

When you look at the interactive map, you can see exactly where the installed wind power is, which is not surprising.

#7 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:35 AM

View Postyoder, on 20 January 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

China has built itself into a disaster, because it was too late by the time they saw the damage they were doing.  The strange and kind of amazing thing is that they have accounted for 43% of the global wind power market, and with India account for more than 50%.  Unfortunately, this just hasn't been enough to offset the damage done by their unsustainable growth and the fact that the majority of new power production was coal.

When you look at the interactive map, you can see exactly where the installed wind power is, which is not surprising.

Wow. Those charts in the map show that the Asian region is kicking our butts. We better get on the stick.
Thanks for those links. :wink:

#8 punjabi

punjabi

Curious

• Shifter
  • 16 posts 7 rep

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

now china ban bbq, too much smog

#9 jarjap

jarjap

• Shifter
  • 9 posts 0 rep

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:25 AM

No air pollution in china it's to hot in there..

#10 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

View Postjarjap, on 16 March 2013 - 05:25 AM, said:

No air pollution in china it's to hot in there..
Incorrect.
http://i.i.com.com/c...958_620x350.jpg

https://encrypted-tb...NMV9LxtQr4IXU6Q

#11 eds

eds

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 3,981 posts 263 rep

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

China Threatens Serious Polluters with the Death Penalty!

Source: China  polluters  water

Attached Files

#12 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:43 AM

The government there is so used to killing people, I guess it's no big deal; but why not just address the problem?

Surely there are intelligent people living in China that could figure out a way to sequester the emissions;
although breathing that polluted air everyday since birth must affect their brains.

With about 1.5 billion people "living" there, if only 50% of them took to the streets in protest to the pollution,
that's about 8 million angry folks. But then again, the government there has tanks and missiles. :wacko:  

But even if they became squeaky clean tomorrow, India's pollution is just as bad, if not worse.
From 2007
http://www.cseindia.org/node/207
The EPI (Environmental Performance Index (2012) ranks India at bottom levels of 125th, China at 116th.
The US is at 49th.
http://en.wikipedia....rformance_Index

#13 Besoeker

Besoeker

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 945 posts 64 rep

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:42 AM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 24 June 2013 - 04:43 AM, said:

The government there is so used to killing people, I guess it's no big deal; but why not just address the problem?
Cost.

#14 eds

eds

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 3,981 posts 263 rep

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

List of countries by incarceration rate VS execution

#15 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

View PostBesoeker, on 24 June 2013 - 06:42 AM, said:

Cost.
Doubtful. They just don't want to spend it.
Just like we don't want to impose any limits on emissions or taxes on our polluters.
It's will, not cost. China has the bucks.
Just go to any store in America and you'll find 90%+ of the products are made in China.

#16 Besoeker

Besoeker

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 945 posts 64 rep

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:34 AM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 24 June 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

Doubtful. They just don't want to spend it.
It amounts to the same thing.

#17 Besoeker

Besoeker

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 945 posts 64 rep

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:52 AM

It's will, not cost. China has the bucks.
Maybe not. GDP per capita is between a quarter and a fifth of those countries that do clean up. It's ranked 122 in the world. There is a cost attached to going clean.

Just go to any store in America and you'll find 90%+ of the products are made in China.
People buy those because they are cheap. If industry and labour had to work to the same standard as USA or the EU including standards on emissions, those products would no longer be quite as cheap.

#18 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:31 AM

Auctioned French air sold for $860.00 in China. Maybe they should have used that $860.00 to buy a clue.
(But some can be had for as little as $3.00 a pop)
http://www.huffingto...tm_hp_ref=green

http://www.washingto...a7067007598jpg/

#19 SheforACT

SheforACT

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:03 PM

Not only in America, they're everywhere in the world, I believe.  Their labels actually made them popular.

#20 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:31 AM

View PostSheforACT, on 15 August 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

Not only in America, they're everywhere in the world, I believe.  Their labels actually made them popular.
Trade agreements not labels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users