Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Tesla S EV Named 2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year

11 replies to this topic

#1 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

Judges have unanimously voted the Tesla Model S the 2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year. The U.S.-manufactured electric vehicle (EV) becomes the first vehicle to win the award not powered by an internal combustion engine in the 64-year history of the publication.

In 2010, the Energy Department backed Tesla Motors, Inc., with a $465 million loan for the construction of two manufacturing facilities, one in southern California for the Model S electric sedan and one in Palo Alto, California, for electric power trains. The Palo Alto facility is for assembling electric vehicle battery packs, electric motors, and related electric vehicle control equipment, both for Tesla's own electric vehicles and for sale to other automobile manufacturers.

The Tesla offers three lithium-ion battery packs for the Model S that are designed to provide ranges of 140, 200, and 265 miles. Starting price for the 140 mile version is $ 49,900; 200 mile version $59,900 and the 265 mile version 69,900 base. Top of the line with all the bells and whistles retails at $97,900 – not exactly affordable for the average person.

The 2012 model has an EPA combined city and highway rating of 89 miles-per-gallon equivalent.

As I have pointed out in the past the sticker price is way out of the range of average consumers.  Yet what is important is the technology itself which will come down in cost when used by other car manufactures over time, how much time is the big question.  In the interest of full disclosure, I test drove the Tesla S a few months ago.  It was fast, nimble, and very tight.  I loved driving it, but at the cost, I would never be able to afford one.  Nice to dream though, and as I was driving it I kept thinking in few years more manufactures would be using this technology.

Being made Motor Trends Car of the Year means it may happen a little faster now.   We can hope.  The best thing is that by providing a 200 mile or higher range and a 45 minute quick charge manufactures will get a lot more attention from possible customers and the public at large.

#2 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

So what comes next for EV producers.

#3 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:49 AM

I think I'd be nervous driving such an expense car in case I hurt it. :D

I think you are right about the importance of companies like Tesla and the technologies they are creating.  Let's face it, the average Joe isn't going to be able to afford a Tesla.  Tesla knows that.  But, as they keep tinkering and improving, their technologies will become useful to other manufacturers.  

Innovation is what is necessary.  I don't think many advances in technology were made by someone saying "I'm going to revolutionize this industry, but I'm only going to spend $1,000 doing it."  Usually, it is the prototypes first, then the consumer product comes down the line some years later.  Then, everyone joins in the game.

You know, a lot of people I know think these Tesla owners are crazy.  They figure they are wasting their time building such expensive cars that only a few people can afford.  But, as you said, they are doing important work that can reshape the engines of the future.

#4 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:22 AM

Update-
60 Minutes did a piece on Elon Musk and Tesla.

Elon Musk, owner and founder of Tesla is the first startup car company in the US in 90 years. That takes courage, imo.

They're building 600 a week, trying to keep up with the demand for an electric car powered by 7,000 battery cells.
The cost of the batteries though, are what makes the car cost $100,000 but Musk is working on bringing the
costs down. He envisions all electric cars, plugged into solar chargers.
He said- "You can drive for free, forever, on free sunlight." B)

He also announced a $5 billion dollar lithium battery plant will be built in the US; they will make more lithium
batteries than all the other plants on Earth combined. :biggrin:

Transcript and video via 60 Minutes.

#5 SFloridaMike

SFloridaMike

Curious

• Shifter
  • 29 posts 7 rep

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

If building that battery plant will allow Tesla to build the Model E with a 200-mile range for 35k that would certainly be news. B) Let's hope they pull it off.

Was shocked to find out none other than Bill O'Reilly said everyone in the world should be rooting for Tesla. Made me wonder if I was hearing things. :shok:

#6 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:00 AM

And now, Tesla is opening their patent's to anyone that wants to use them in good faith; to help move
electric cars forward.
What a deal! :biggrin:

Via Inhabitat
http://inhabitat.com...ts-to-use-them/

#7 Besoeker

Besoeker

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 945 posts 64 rep

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:18 AM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 15 June 2014 - 06:00 AM, said:

And now, Tesla is opening their patent's to anyone that wants to use them in good faith; to help move
electric cars forward.
What a deal! :biggrin:

Via Inhabitat
http://inhabitat.com...ts-to-use-them/
Superchargers?
I had a Mercedes with a supercharger a few years ago..............kompressor they called it.........
Sorry, couldn't resist........ :tongue:

#8 still learning

still learning

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 886 posts 162 rep

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:57 PM

A significant extension of the life of lithium ion batteries (as in Tesla) may be on the way, if a UC Riverside engineering lab's discovery works out.  Might well reduce the lifetime cost of owning an electric vehicle, as expensive battery packs eventually need to be replaced.  Make the batteries last longer, should help with the price.  See  http://ucrtoday.ucr.edu/23646

#9 Dustoffer

Dustoffer

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 471 posts 91 rep

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

A Tesla for the rest of us? Elon Musk dishes on the new, cheaper model

By Andrew Simon
"One of the knocks against Tesla (besides the slight chance of the automaker’s cars going up in flames) is that the y zero-emission rides are darn expensive. Case in point: The much ballyhooed Model S starts at $69,900.

But a more affordable Tesla is on the way. CEO Elon Musk recently announced that a new model, called the 3, will start at around $35,000. The 3 is set to be on sale by 2017.

Here are some additional details, via an exclusive with U.K. car mag Auto Express:

The new car is rumoured to be about 20% smaller than the Model S and our image shows how it could look. Key to the new model, which Musk said should retail for around $35,000 (likely to equate to around £30,000 in the UK), is cheaper battery technology made possible by Tesla’s forthcoming Gigafactory."
A Tesla for the rest of us? Elon Musk dishes on the new, cheaper model | Grist

My 2009 Mercury Mariner 4WD Hybrid cost 34K with all the extras.

#10 Besoeker

Besoeker

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 945 posts 64 rep

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

View PostDustoffer, on 18 July 2014 - 09:53 AM, said:

My 2009 Mercury Mariner 4WD Hybrid cost 34K with all the extras.
As opposed to

start at around $35,000.

#11 Besoeker

Besoeker

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 945 posts 64 rep

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

Euler2

#12 Dustoffer

Dustoffer

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 471 posts 91 rep

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:31 PM

It was just an example, and with inflation, a reasonable cost example.   I doubt the Tesla S3 would have come through the Biblical rain up the pass I just went through.  4WD all independent and stabilized, with new all terrain tires.  Hybrid and not electric.  SUV wagon style versus sedan style.  If I lived down the hill, then I would be interested in the Tesla S3.
Can they put the steering wheel on the wrong side like the UK?  Probably.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users