Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Bokashi Recycling Units

9 replies to this topic

#1 Julie

Julie

Regular

• Shifter
  • 59 posts 7 rep

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:01 AM

As far as I understand, "bokashi" are micro organisms which break down natural waste. There are units of variable sizes which use bokashi - a liquid is produced which can be collected via a tap at the bottom of the unit and used as liquid mabure for houseplants and vegetables gardens.

Does anybody have one of these units - if so, how does it perform and how frequently are new bags of bokashi needed?

#2 adam_a

adam_a

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:21 AM

I own an All Season Indoor Composter which uses bokashi. I've only had it for a few days so I can't really comment one way or the other. I, too, would like to know if anyone else has one and how it is working. So far it is just an organic garbage collector sprinkled with bokashi. But I could be doing something wrong.

#3 FlanneryCam

FlanneryCam

Regular

• Shifter
  • 92 posts 5 rep

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

Sounds neat.

How much does one of these units cost? Is it like an under the sink thing? I'm looking for a way to compost in my new city all year long. I was really lucky that in my old town the town composted for us.

#4 adam_a

adam_a

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

I paid $50 but it was on sale. Currently I keep it in the basement though there isn't any odor. The Bokahi will cost me $10 a bag locally and so far I've used about 1/4 of a bag in a week. Like I said, I'm not sure if I'm doing it right or not yet.

#5 Julie

Julie

Regular

• Shifter
  • 59 posts 7 rep

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:43 AM

Hi adam_a, thanks for telling me how much bokashi you use each week. It is obviosuly an issue if one has to buy it regularly. How bog are the bags you have? I read that one bag should last 4 - 6 months ......

FlanneryCam - as I understand it, yes they can go under sinks, or even on the work surface as they look neat and don't smell. There are different sizes and are said to be perfect for appartment dwellers who can't compost outside. The resulting liquid is easily collectible via a tap at the bottom of the unit and is perfect for house plants.

#6 adam_a

adam_a

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:58 AM

It came with a 1kg (2.2lb) bag. Every time I add food trimmings I add more bokashi until everything is covered. If I add any meat or dairy I add even more bokashi. We keep a plastic tub in the freezer and add our compostable stuff to it until it is full and then I add it to the composter with some bokashi. It is starting to have that pickling smell and even though I am adding more to it, the level isn't rising much on the inside.

It is about the size of a 5 gallon bucket. There is no odor while the lid it on but when you take it off there is a pickling smell that lingers for a few minutes. You have to be able to drain the "tea" out of it once or twice a week. So far it has only made a few tablespoons.

#7 Julie

Julie

Regular

• Shifter
  • 59 posts 7 rep

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:28 AM

Hello again adam_a, it's really useful to have somebody on here who is actually using one of these units. I am surprised that it is using up the I kg bags so quickly. When I researched them the seller's site said that a bag should last 3 months - but then they were trying to sell to me.

I get the impression that you are underwhelmed and a little disappointed with the product - is that so?

#8 adam_a

adam_a

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

Underwhelmed, yes but I think I went in with expectations a bit too high. I can't say that I am disappointed just yet. I think I would give it a month first to see how well it is working at that point. I could be using way too much bokashi at this point as I'm kind of mixing guess work in with things I read on the internet.

#9 adam_a

adam_a

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

Just an update: We started the indoor composting with the bokashi on the 11th and we just finished filling up the All Seasons indoor composter (which is 5 gallons). At first it didn't seem to be doing anything but then it started to get a pickling smell and the insides started getting white spots (which is supposed to be good). I've been mixing the "tea" with water and putting it outside near the stream and all the plants around it have really perked up. We have about 1/3 of a bag of bokashi left. I'm going to let it sit in the composter for a few more days and then switch it to a 5 gallon bucket where I'll let it sit for two weeks before taking it to a compost pile.

#10 ChanellG

ChanellG

Regular

• Shifter
  • 67 posts 7 rep

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Julie I discovered Bokashi online recently and I started reading up on it. There are a lot of resources online for Bokashi information. I don't have meat waste so I've decided to go with vermicomposting since it's faster, easier, and more efficient. With Bokashi you get the liquid, but you still have to compost the remains of the solids.

Have you heard of a food digester? It's like a compost bin, but you can but everything in, including cooked food. You can also put in pet waste. It has a metal basket that lives underground and so far the only drawback I've read about is that you have to dig up the basket every few years or so and clean it.

You may want to check out the Bokashi info on compostguy.com: http://www.compostgu...-resource-page/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users