Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

The social plan to bring about hydrogen infrastructure

11 replies to this topic

#1 James Richard Bailey

James Richard Bailey

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:20 AM

As promised, here is the introductory post for Dave World's social plan to bring about the U.S. hydrogen infrastructure from the grass roots on up, from rural to urban. Please note, this is long and full of both graphics and links, so it leads to an external link to read more.
________________________________________________________________________________

Ekson Exhilaration: The Hydrogen Infrastructure

By Dave World  © 2012

Here I am again, at the gas pump, trying to figure out why the price just went up thirty cents a gallon in the last month. I'm unhappy about it, and I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Who knows why the price of gasoline skyrockets at any given time.?

It seems that the slightest event sends the price of petroleum through the roof. It could be a natural or man made disaster, or a political happening. You would think that, since the first oil crisis of the early 1970s, our society would have been working on solutions to the volatile nature of the petroleum industry.

The problem is, the energy industry makes large profits whether the situation in the world is stable or not. It seems like the roller coaster ride is nothing more than business as usual for the energy providers in our country. We have all been there at the gas pumps after months of continuous hikes in the price, saying “there has got to be a better solution to our energy needs”.

The solution to our energy needs is actually quite simple in some regards. It is the hydrogen infrastructure, what I call Ekson Exhilaration. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe. When hydrogen is extracted from water by renewable electricity resources like wind power and solar energy we largely remove the environmental equation from securing our energy needs and create a true home grown energy source.

The big question is, if all the technology already exists for the creation of the hydrogen infrastructure, why haven't we built it? The answers are: money, and control of the energy sector of our economy. To me the issues of money (who is going to pay for building the hydrogen infrastructure) and control (who is going to own the hydrogen infrastructure) are of a societal nature. If our society wants to build the hydrogen infrastructure, it will have to start as a grass roots movement.
READ MORE

#2 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

Hi James Jeff and I read through your plan and found it very sound and well presented.  Your information is current to date and demonstrates that you have been thinking about a Hydrogen Infrastructure for some time.

When we saw the picture of the Honda Clarity we had to laugh because we are on the waiting list for the car along with several other FCV car makers.  We have driven several generations of Honda’s concepts and where fortunate enough to have driven the Clarity on several occasions.  It is a great car and I think it is a good example of the technology that will be coming on board in 2015.
We also have traveled to Germany on several occasions to collaborate with their planning of their countries Hydrogen infrastructure.  I really think we will need to talk at some time in the future to exchange information and ideas.  In short we feel you are on the right track.

I also want to tell you that you may expect a little blow back here at Alt. Energy Shift from a few members.  Please understand that some people tend to take things like Wikipedia and other sites information as gospel on the challenges facing hydrogen, fuel cells and alternative energy to hydrogen.  They have good intentions and are only restating information that is either old, incorrect or just plain disinformation by those fighting hydrogen’s leading role to a post carbon future.

My only advice is to be patient with them and counter in a non confrontational manner that seeks to educate.  I mention this because I myself have in the past been flabbergasted by some of the responses to postings we have made in hydrogen’s regard.  You will find that we have several engineers on the forum and they can be somewhat skeptical, and may challenge some of the things you will be writing about.  That said everyone here is nice and genially interested in alternative energy and green living.

Counter with good information that includes cited referances and let the chips fall where they may.

#3 James Richard Bailey

James Richard Bailey

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

Hi E3 wise,
It is so nice to have a reply from people who are well versed in the topic. It made our day! Dave and I have just entered this treatise into a business plan contest here in northern Wisconsin. If it is selected as one of the better ideas, there could be venture capital in the offing. I think we need to stress the aspect of volunteer lobbyists more. This is a social plan to create demand from the grass roots on up. Since there are technical challenges still to be overcome for hydrogen to be practical, citizen pressure on government to solve these problems could move things forward more quickly. Heck, it's not like there weren't technical challenges in the space program!
By the way, I don't know how I messed up, but I didn't intend to put this post in the hydropower forums category, but I think that Hayden will straighten it out. B)

#4 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

I agree that the social program is the way to go to get wide spread adoption. I am curious what aspects of hydrogen you feel still need to be developed. I believe the technology is available now; we just need more people like you and Dave to get the message out.
If you have any technical questions we would be happy to get you the info. you need.

Jeff and I participate in Alt. Energy Shift under E3 Wise because it is our informational and educational forum, we are not seeking business in the forum, only the chance to share information and technology advances to get information out to the public at large. For us the message is the most important thing.

I am so glad you are coming to the forum because being the lone voice in the wilderness calling for alternative energy to hydrogen movement has been very lonely, but fulfilling and we have gotten a lot of people interested.
We are at your disposal in any way we can help, and always for no charge, (Just wanted to be Clear) this forum is a personal mission for us.

Health, Happiness and Success
Lois and Jeff Moore

#5 James Richard Bailey

James Richard Bailey

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

We are happy in turn to have you folks at our backs. The main technology development that I feel still needs to be addressed is the portable storage of hydrogen. Large volume storage is handled by underground caverns for the really big storage, and large high pressure tanks where the conversion losses aren't too extreme. What we need is a better portable method of storing high pressure hydrogen, i.e. for automotive use. It is a matter of the conversion ratio. It takes more pressure to pump up a bicycle tire than one on an 18-wheeler. Cryogenic storage is even less energy efficient.
On a different note: This Rolling Stone article by Bill McKibben is very heavy, but it is the kind of ammunition that I bookmark for use in my blog, Namekagon Notebook. It makes the case for abandoning fossil fuels very clearly.

#6 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

Achieving gas production at 5,000psi without a compressor signals significant step toward more affordable, efficient hydrogen gas generators.

Wallingford, Conn. – June 26, 2012 – Proton OnSite’s latest project with the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) has yielded a proton exchange membrane (PEM) electrolyzer stack that can produce hydrogen gas at an ultra-high pressure, without the need for a compressor.
A high-differential pressure PEM stack can now safely generate hydrogen gas at 5,000 pounds per square inch (psi) without the need for a compressor, and while releasing the outgoing oxygen gas at atmospheric pressure. Proton OnSite, the world’s leading supplier of on-site gas generators utilizing PEM technology, began collaborating with the DOE in February 2010 on Phase I. With this achievement, Proton OnSite will successfully end Phase II in August 2012.

Attaining this level without a compressor brings PEM technology one step closer to being able to produce hydrogen gas while forgoing a gas generator’s most capital- and maintenance-intensive piece of equipment. Eliminating the compressor ultimately enables hydrogen electrolyzers to more cost-effectively generate gas.

Link http://www.azocleant...px?newsID=16730

#7 James Richard Bailey

James Richard Bailey

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:40 AM

That is a truly amazing breakthrough. It could be the final link in the chain needed for hydrogen fueled cars to be viable.

#8 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

This really sounds like a brilliant idea. Hope the business plan is well received, and all things come together according to plan. Good luck. Thanks for the information.

#9 James Richard Bailey

James Richard Bailey

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

Thank you, artistry, for the encouragement. This Friday is the big day. But, whatever the outcome is, we will continue to move forward.

#10 James Richard Bailey

James Richard Bailey

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:23 AM

Our idea for promotion of the hydrogen infrastructure was not well received at the Business Idea Contest, which is understandable because it is actually a social plan for more of a non-profit endeavor. But, we came out of it with connections to some people working in the hydrogen movement right in our back yard.

#11 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

Wow, that sounds very positive, as well as a way to get more people and groups involved, magnificent. The ship is moving. Good luck.

#12 James Richard Bailey

James Richard Bailey

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:29 AM

Once again, artistry, we thank you for the encouraging words.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users