Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Another big perk from coal? Black lung disease-rising.

11 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

From 1968 through 2007, black lung caused or contributed to roughly 75,000 deaths in
the United States, according to government data.
In the decades following passage of the 1969 law, rates of the disease dropped significantly.
Then, in the late 1990s, this trend reversed.

Even more disturbing: Prevalence of the most severe form of the disease tripled
between the 1980s and the 2000s and has almost reached the levels of the 1970s.
http://www.iwatchnew...ck-coal-country

http://grist.org/new...-coal-industry/

#2 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

The numbers in the first article are disturbing.  We reduced rates of black lunch until the mid 1990s.  Then, since that time, they have been steadily increasing.  Why is that?  Is it that coal mining companies are not abiding by federal regulation?  Has the industry been deregulated or unregulated (i.e. inspectors are looking the other way)?  Have the methods of mining changed where the earlier protections need to be updated?

At least the National Mining Association recognizes that the problem exists.  I'd like to believe that they really want to see enforcement of current laws, but I have my doubts giving the abuses of the mining industry.  Every time there is a disaster, we find that the companies have multiple violations and never fix what they are cited for.

What is particularly sad is the form that people are getting since the 1990s is a much more aggressive and much more deadly.  Those images of the damage done to a person's lungs are horrifying.  I imagine once the disease sets in you don't live very long, do you?

The article says that of the miners killed in the Upper Big Branch explosion of 2010 17 of the 24 miners autopsied showed signs of black lung disease.  Some of those had been mining less than 10 years.

#3 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:30 AM

View PostFamilyTreeClimber, on 09 July 2012 - 11:41 PM, said:

The numbers in the first article are disturbing.  We reduced rates of black lunch until the mid 1990s.  Then, since that time, they have been steadily increasing.  Why is that?
Both articles may be on the long side, but explain your questions.

#4 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:58 AM

Another source.
http://www.npr.org/2..._medium=twitter

#5 milano

milano

Curious

• Shifter
  • 37 posts 3 rep

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

You are pretty much safe as long as you are not near a coal mine or a coal plant. I think the problem arises because of companies not making their plants/mines closed or their miners/workers protected.

#6 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

Shortpoet, I meant why is black lung on the rise since 1990.  If we were making progress on lessening the cases of black lung up to the mid 1990s, what practices changed?  I read the articles late last night, so it the reasons might not have sunk in.

If I am understanding the NPR article correctly, it's not that the regulations aren't in place.  It's that the companies aren't following them or they are working around them.  For instance, when the coal mining companies test samples they can get them from almost anywhere including outside the mine.  Those numbers usually don't match what the federal inspectors come up with. :blink:

It appears that after 2002, unregulation was the problem.  The Bush Administration chose not to have the mining division do the job it was set up to do.  The regulations are on the books, but if no one enforces them they are worthless.

Thanks for the NPR link.  I now have a better idea of why the problem is getting worse.

#7 Hardison

Hardison

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 446 posts 37 rep

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

View PostFamilyTreeClimber, on 10 July 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

Shortpoet, I meant why is black lung on the rise since 1990.  If we were making progress on lessening the cases of black lung up to the mid 1990s, what practices changed?  I read the articles late last night, so it the reasons might not have sunk in.

If I am understanding the NPR article correctly, it's not that the regulations aren't in place.  It's that the companies aren't following them or they are working around them.  For instance, when the coal mining companies test samples they can get them from almost anywhere including outside the mine.  Those numbers usually don't match what the federal inspectors come up with. :blink:

It appears that after 2002, unregulation was the problem.  The Bush Administration chose not to have the mining division do the job it was set up to do.  The regulations are on the books, but if no one enforces them they are worthless.

Thanks for the NPR link.  I now have a better idea of why the problem is getting worse.

I didn't know black lung was still a concern. I used to work for an insurance company who managed the insurance for many black lung families. It was just so sad. Many of the family members didn't have doctors in their towns and had a hard time getting decent medical care.

#8 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

View PostFamilyTreeClimber, on 10 July 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

Also in the link, was the fact that most miners do not want to report it. The previous lower numbers may have a
mistake because they were not reporting their illness-fear of losing their jobs, or transferred to a lesser paying
position.
The agency overseeing the tests do not have the manpower to really police them, and often the tests
are left to the owners of the mines. Their sampling is tainted to seem like they are in compliance, when they are not.
That first link-iwatch-coal country goes into more detail.

#9 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

View Postmilano, on 10 July 2012 - 08:50 AM, said:

You are pretty much safe as long as you are not near a coal mine or a coal plant.
This thread is about miners, not the general public.

#10 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

I-watch news did another follow up piece-
more info
here.

#11 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:47 AM

Miners trying to be compensated for their black lung disease may wait years to see the money.
Some die before it happens.
http://www.publicint...er-gets-his-due

#12 eds

eds

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 3,981 posts 263 rep

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:50 PM

China & India Bootstrapping Economy with Solar, NOT Coal.

New analysis from Deutsche Bank notes the precarious nature of the coal industry,
. . . even in the world’s most voracious consumer.
It notes that even in China, coal is on a downward trend, and
. . . it has written down the value of some coal companies in China by an astonishing 92%.

The results of India’s latest solar auction are in, and
. . . it is bad news for developers of Australian coal projects,
. . . solar PV is cheaper for Indian users,
. . . than the electricity price needed to pay for imports of coal from Australia.

11-10-2014 Source:   China slashes coal imports in 1/2  India Solar cheaper than imported coal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users