Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Rising Sea Levels Will Affect the U. S. Atlantic Coast!

41 replies to this topic

#1 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

A report outlines the effect rising sea levels will have on the U. S. Atlantic coast in the future.

http://news.yahoo.co...-171554622.html

#2 MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 149 posts 3 rep

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:17 AM

Global warming is truly alarming but reading the article we can see this rising has taken over 20 years, not a reason to stop worrying but a major sign of alarm because actually it's taken less time to get the sea levels above the average increment registered before.

#3 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

GW does not depend on us, China, India, and other third world countries will determine our fate.  Best to be prepared because it's going to happen.  The biggest impact we can have here is to buy solar panels and BEV's  Individuals account for 80% of CO2, govenment cannot solve that, we as individuals have to.

But again, what we do pales in comparison to the third world.

#4 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:52 PM

There was a study that came out this weekend over rising sea levels and the West Coast.  It stated that California will be in more danger than other Western states.  It also stated that the effects would be more severe than predicted 10 or 20 years ago.

It's disconcerting.  I can only hope our city planners are taking steps for the inevitable.  I think of San Francisco, which has so much of the city on landfill.  I remember when the Loma Prieta earthquake hit.  The area hit the hardest was built on landfill.  Ironically, it was one of the hardest hit areas in 1906.  It was built on landfill then as well, so they didn't really learn anything from the first disaster.

It does make me wonder as these sea levels rise and we lose livable space to it, where will the people go?  We won't be able to reclaim that land, will we?

#5 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:20 AM

Don't forget North Carolina. They are considering passing a law that says rising sea levels are non-existent and that science
should be ignored.
http://www.altenergy...ust-pass-a-law/

#6 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:53 AM

http://www.huffingto...tm_hp_ref=green

#7 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

All I know is, that Atlantic City is about 48 miles away from here. Anybody have a large houseboat they want to sell? FamilyTreeClimber, there was an article I read, about the production of floating islands that would hold residents. Hope they have started working  on them. "o) Shortpoet, I think 1/2 the country is already on board with that idea. Not until the water is at their window will they believe. Then again, they will probably say it's a broken water main.

#8 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

It's rising something like a few inches a decade.  We have time to think about it.  I lived in CA for twenty years.  They're good for at least a century.  The problem with land fill is something called liquifaction.  With intense shaking the water is squeezed out of the ground and the ground settles, toppling buildings.  It isn't really a sea level rise thing.

#9 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

From a 2010 article-
http://planetgreen.d...-literally.html

Not a century for these folks-
http://latimesblogs....ions-court.html

http://www.triplepun...ing-moved-fiji/

#10 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

That's not California! :tongue:   Remember China and India's response at the last climate meeting?  "Tell it to the hand!" :unsure:   Like I said, it's going to happen and nothing short of nuking China will stop it.

#11 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:09 AM

View PostPhil, on 26 June 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

That's not California! :tongue:   Remember China and India's response at the last climate meeting?  "Tell it to the hand!" :unsure:   Like I said, it's going to happen and nothing short of nuking China will stop it.
Oops sorry. Sea level rise will impact the entire world, except California. :laugh:

#12 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:32 AM

Besides the sea level thingee, I hear that California is also sinking. Or maybe it's been sinking and someone just noticed.

#13 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

CA is a subduction zone, the Pacific plate is being pushed under the continental plate.  I think that would mean the west is sinking but the east is rising, (mountain building).  Don't quote me on that though!

CA is not immune but it isn't like FL where half the state will disappear.  :biggrin:   What I meant was CA can take a couple of feet of sea rise without it being the end of the world.

My main point is it's going to happen, there is no way China or India will be denied their prosperity whether we like it or not.

#14 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

View PostPhil, on 27 June 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

CA is a subduction zone, the Pacific plate is being pushed under the continental plate.  I think that would mean the west is sinking but the east is rising, (mountain building).  Don't quote me on that though!

CA is not immune but it isn't like FL where half the state will disappear.  :biggrin:   What I meant was CA can take a couple of feet of sea rise without it being the end of the world.

My main point is it's going to happen, there is no way China or India will be denied their prosperity whether we like it or not.
Sad but true.
(And I have to give you a hard time once in awhile-keeps it fresh.) :wink:

#15 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

Hey, that's my wifes job! :biggrin:

#16 still learning

still learning

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 886 posts 162 rep

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:36 AM

View PostPhil, on 27 June 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

Getting off the subject here, but anway:
Got your California subduction stuff mixed up...
( http://en.wikipedia....n_Andreas_Fault   http://en.wikipedia....subduction_zone  )

Yes, California not immune (for instance. low lying San Francisco International Airport will need seawalls built)

Yes, will take change by China and india and the US and others to slow climate change.  Doesn't necessarily have to be simultaneous reductions of greenhouse gasses, but does still need to happen.  If changes aren't made, the prosperity gains may well be used up dealing with climate change damage.

#17 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

You're right!  I was thinking about where I live now, WA state.  Don't know why CA would be sinking then.

No one immune but not the end of the world compared to FL.

#18 still learning

still learning

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 886 posts 162 rep

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

View PostPhil, on 28 June 2012 - 11:05 AM, said:

Don't know why CA would be sinking then.

It's not.
Sealevel is rising, but the land level isn't dropping lower than it is now.
(Special cases excepted like some of the islands in the Sacramento-San Joaquin delta, basically drying out and topsoil destruction)

#19 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

Wanted to see what was out there
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/31206

#20 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter