Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Hydropower Dam in Oregon

4 replies to this topic

#1 Pat

Pat

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 108 posts 7 rep

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

Oregon Dam has helped develop hydropower. Problem is the dam blocks path for salmon returning home to spawn.

Ladders have been put in place to help the salmon get over the dam but a lot are still dying.

#2 dissn_it

dissn_it

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 183 posts 6 rep

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

This has been an issue in the Pacific Northwest for quite sometime. I am glad that they are putting the salmon ladders in because without them, the wild salmon didn't have any chance at all. I know that a lot of the existing dams had to be retrofitted to have ladders and in order to do that, they had to drop the water levels exremely low. This put other speices at risk so there really is no good way to add them in after the dam is already built.

#3 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

In Clallam county, WA they are tearing out dams to restore salmon habitat.  There is a campsite closed right now because they are tearing down a portion of a 210 foot dam.  They tried salmon ladders also, they never worked.  We are still 84% hydro.

#4 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

Nice to know that there is some consideration for the salmon. Man and nature, need some practical solution to co-existence.

#5 MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 149 posts 3 rep

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:14 AM

I believe this damn is very important as it is important to see the increasing awareness on respecting the salmon habitat or at least try to do the less harm as possible.

Problem with salmon also extends to Canada.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users