Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Annular solar eclipse-May 20th.

4 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:49 AM

Map at this link shows the path.
And as everyone knows by now, do NOT look at it directly without protective glasses.
Can cause severe eye damage.
Here.

#2 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:47 AM

I am from Southeast Asia and not included in the list of those Asian countries that can view it. :(
The last eclipse that I had witnessed was when I was in college and it will be great to see another one again in the future.

#3 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:05 AM

Some additional info-video
Here

#4 steph84

steph84

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 265 posts 12 rep

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:45 PM

I saw it and it was pretty amazing! I went outside and everything got really dark and scary looking. It was an awesome experience. I thought it was a great family moment that we shared. I hope everyone else had a good experience.

#5 still learning

still learning

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 886 posts 162 rep

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

It was an interesting happening.

At a museum where I volunteer some we had several small telescopes with viewscreens set up at two different locations, the weather co-operated (no fog), had a couple of hundred people show up to see.

Most everybody seemed to be satisfied, even captivated, excepting a few who were expecting either a total or an annular eclipse.  Needed to be a couple of hundred miles north for the annular bit.  No totality this time anywhere. (Annular and total are mutually exclusive.)

Next total solar eclipe viewable in the US is 21 August 2017, midday.  Will be total in a fairly narrow strip clear across the US.  I've been fortunate to see a total solar eclipse once before (1979) and am setting aside the reserving the date for viewing another.  As interesting as this eclipse was, the subjective effect of a total eclipse is much greater.  Can understand why some people used to panic in a total eclipse.

Another unusual event coming up is the transit of Venus on June 5. http://science.nasa....y_venustransit/

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users