Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

More good news on #solar.

421 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

We need all the good news we can get because there is so much negativity in the news
day after day. And so- a good news story. Posted Image

From the Earth Times article.

#2 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:19 AM

Great news!  How are we stacking up with the rest of the world?  Last I heard Germany was by far #1, are we gaining on them?

#3 JBMedia

JBMedia

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 104 posts 3 rep

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

Awesome news! It's always good to hear companies, businesses, and any type of governmental branch supporting some alternative energies. It will save and make a lot more money in due time. The investment might seem big, but the overall reward pays out higher than any non-renewable resource ever could.

#4 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

Looks as if they mean business. Those are quite a few systems being installed. Hope that it continues, with more and more being utilized. It can only help the cause. Great work, great information. Thanks.

#5 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:16 PM

Came across this info-graphic. (We all love charts I think) :wink:
Check it out-here.

#6 Green Thumb

Green Thumb

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 135 posts 7 rep

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

This is with regards to safety, ma’am. I know how solar power would be an environmentally-friendly source of electricity but since it still produces radiation the harm of it can’t be overlooked like Japan’s nuclear plant. Sorry, I’m just getting my head around it and not really that knowledgeable about the matter so I’m wondering how they are planning to maintain this solar energy source in a way any radiation coming out from it won’t harm anybody or how manageable it would be if certain natural disaster heat the power plant.

#7 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:47 AM

View PostGreen Thumb, on 09 May 2012 - 09:12 PM, said:

This is with regards to safety, ma’am. I know how solar power would be an environmentally-friendly source of electricity but since it still produces radiation the harm of it can’t be overlooked like Japan’s nuclear plant.
What makes you think that?
Links?

#8 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

There is re radiation of heat off the panels since they are dark, but that is NOT nuclear.   You get the same thing off a dark roof shingle

There are two types of energy, ionizing and non ionizing.  It's the ionizing stuff like nuclear that dislodges nuclie and causes radiation sickness and genetic damage.  X-rays are also ionizing so their use should be minimized.

There have been some studies linking health hazards to non ionizing radiation like power lines and cell phones, but they have never been repeatable, which makes them bogus.  At any rate, those sources are AC and solar panels are DC and there is zero risk from radiation of a DC source.

#9 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:21 AM

Yes right, too many bad news and it is a good thing to read the good news on this thread.
oping for more and maybe someday all will have the ability to stall their own solar panel for better energy source. And it will be great if it can really be a sustainable source for everyone.

#10 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:52 AM

Australia is moving forward with a large installation of solar.
Here.

#11 Loveenergysavings

Loveenergysavings

• Shifter
  • 4 posts 0 rep

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:22 PM

Choosing alternative energy is a must.

#12 fancyfingers

fancyfingers

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 149 posts 13 rep

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 07 May 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

We need all the good news we can get because there is so much negativity in the news
day after day. And so- a good news story. :biggrin:

From the Earth Times article.

This is great news for WV, but it makes me wonder why haven't the states the get over 275 days of sunshine get on the bandwagon? What energy powers have a grip on states like New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, and Texas, for example? Arizona boasts of 300 or more days of sunshine per year, where are all the solar panels? It is a shame every roof isn't a solar roof.

#13 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

The US market for solar panels is likely to double in 2012, thanks to government policies and falling prices.
http://www.myfoxdetr...oubling-in-2012

#14 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

Solar is going in all over the country, as is wind.  That includes NM, AZ, NV, and TX.  People don't bring it up because it is common knowledge. :wink:

What is news is the Pacific NW has a huge installed base, including me! :biggrin:   If I recall, Germany is by far #1 and they are as far north as Canada.

I finally talked to the other solar home in our subdivision and found she installed in 2002 paying $12K for 3KW, while I paid $15K for 10KW, (both self installed).  Prices have fallen even more drastically since I purchased.

#15 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:40 AM

A solid rise in solar-
85% installation improvement from same period last year.
http://www.macon.com...s-grows-85.html

#16 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

You go Australia, New South Wales is kicking it, 30,000 homes helped  by solar. Very accomodating government. Nice to hear, that some of the countries are trying to move forward. Thanks for the good news.

#17 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:19 PM

This is very good news considering West Virginia is a coal mining state.  If we can get states that are dependent on damaging industries like coal mining to turn to alternative energy, then there is hope for this country yet! Even if this is a small project, it's step forward.

I like the fact the panels are manufactured and installed here in the US.

#18 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

Oh, it's hard to find good news on the climate front or actions that people are taking to combat the issue.

So I wanted to share this good news story. Colleges and Universities across the country are involved in a
"Billion dollar green challenge."

Story here.

The Challenge explained here.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

#19 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:43 AM

California breaking solar records- 1,000 MW.
http://switchboard.n...Ag4rAIA.twitter

#20 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

A lousy name (Shams) but a good project.

"ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Covering nearly 300 football fields in a remote patch of desert, the Shams 1 solar project carries off plenty of symbolic significance for the United Arab Emirates.

It will be the first, large-scale solar project in the oil-rich country when it is completed at the end of the year, and the largest of its kind in the Middle East. At full capacity, the 100-megawatt, concentrated solar project will be able to power 20,000 homes."

Source

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users