Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Planting New Trees

14 replies to this topic

#1 clewand550

clewand550

Curious

• Shifter
  • 36 posts 1 rep

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

Have you every planted new trees?  If so, how often have you planted new trees and where do you plant them?

Each spring we buy little evergreen seedlings and plant them in our back yard, side of our house and in our front yard.  Our back yard is all wooded.  We have a lot of trees in our yard.  We have been buying and planting little seedlings for about 21 years now and we have been watching them grow.  It is so hard to believe how much some of these trees have grown in the last 20 plus years.

#2 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Oi!
I won't admit to the number of years, :laugh: but probably thousands over that time.
(Actually several hundred, not thousands.)
And will be buying more asap.

#3 angeldrb

angeldrb

Curious

• Shifter
  • 34 posts 4 rep

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

I planted five mango trees around this time last year. They have grown six feet already. I want to plant trees this summer, too, but I'm still waiting for my grandfather to finish putting up fences so that I would know where to plant my trees. :)

#4 happyrocinante

happyrocinante

Curious

• Shifter
  • 46 posts 0 rep

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

I live in a small subdivsion and have a smaller backyard but I am planning on putting in a couple of trees back there soon.  I have a few in the front already which is nice.  I just have to wait until after Mother's Day to catch the good sales!

Last year I joined the Arbor Day Foundation and received 10 little trees to plant.  So I planted them and 2 weeks later my husband ran them over with the lawn mower.  So now I have to try again with a more mature tree to make sure he see it.

#5 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

happyrocinante, on 08 May 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

I live in a small subdivsion and have a smaller backyard but I am planning on putting in a couple of trees back there soon.  I have a few in the front already which is nice.  I just have to wait until after Mother's Day to catch the good sales!

Last year I joined the Arbor Day Foundation and received 10 little trees to plant.  So I planted them and 2 weeks later my husband ran them over with the lawn mower.  So now I have to try again with a more mature tree to make sure he see it.
Pick up a few tomato cages for em'. Won't hurt the tree like staking does, and will be more visible. You could
even tie a ribbon on it if he's listening to tunes and not paying attention. :laugh:

#6 tri-n-b-helpful

tri-n-b-helpful

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

I've always found those little trees from nurseries to be too expensive and might not be successful. Instead, I looked up on the internet how to grow my own fruit trees from the seeds in the organic fruits I was already eating anyway. I managed to sprout several avocado seeds and planted them in pots shortly afterwards. The results were amazing & entirely unexpected! I read about how to stick toothpicks in them to get them sprouted and then I transplanted them. The climate is not ideal here, but boy are they growing! Some I just stuck in the ground about nine months ago & they're also growing - which is really surprising for me here, because nothing else seems to be growing! All the little bugs &/or worms seem to get to them first. I noticed in the ones that I sprouted first, that I now have three or more trees growing really well from just the one seed... on three seeds! I couldn't believe it! They have grown so fast in the pot that I'll need to hurry up and transplant them before they get much bigger. The leaves are such a deep, rich green... I could stare at them all day & not get sick of it!

#7 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:13 AM

tri-n-b-helpful, on 08 May 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

I've always found those little trees from nurseries to be too expensive and might not be successful.
Good to hear you've had success.
But you can also buy inexpensive trees from the National Arbor Day Association.
Source

#8 steph84

steph84

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 265 posts 12 rep

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

I have also started sprouted my own trees from seeds ever since I was a kid. I have planted at least 100 avocado trees and given them away as gifts to relatives. My family loves it. We never have to buy avocados, figs, apples, oranges, lemons or bananas. My banana tree does produce tiny plantains, but they are tasty!

#9 joeldgreat

joeldgreat

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 162 posts 6 rep

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

Had planted three mahogany trees and two narra trees in our backyard five years ago. They are already big ones now. Had already joined environmental groups too and planted almost 50 trees now. If one of use had planted at least one to five trees in our lifetime, then that would have a great impact to our environment's future.

#10 btatro

btatro

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 104 posts 1 rep

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

We do plant trees, but probably not every year. The kids often bring home little seedlings that we plant. I remember my brother had one of those when he was in elementary school, and it has grown way further than expectations!

#11 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

The last time I had planted a tree was when I was still in college and that was several years ago already.
We do not have enough space here to plant new years.
Good thing the this month a friend of mine had invited me in a tree planting event and so I will again plant new trees.

#12 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:49 AM

I coined the phrase-"breathe free, plant a tree" years ago.

Several reasons why we ALL should.
  • "Sequester carbon dioxide and release oxygen through the process of photosynthesis
  • A single mature tree can absorb as much as 48 pounds of CO2¬/year and release enough
  • oxygen to support two human beings.
  • The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has estimated that trees can sequester one ton
  • of CO2¬/year at a cost of15/ton, an extraordinary value.
  • Nationally, it is estimated that our urban forests store between 600 million and 990 million tons of carbon.
  • Yield positive energy benefits, reducing heating and cooling costs by shading and sheltering buildings
  • A well-placed mature tree can reduce annual air conditioning costs by 2 percent to 10 percent.
  • It has been suggested that planting 100 million mature trees in U.S. cities would reduce annual energy use by 30 billion kWh, saving2 billion in energy costs. That amounts to20 per year per tree.
  • Help reduce the urban heat-island effect. This is important because urban areas can be as much as 8°F to 10°F warmer than adjacent rural areas."

http://www.huffingto...tm_hp_ref=green

#13 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:52 AM

Tree's are good for our health.
Via Slate- (video too)
http://www.slate.com...ry_illness.html

#14 johnygreen

johnygreen

Regular

• Shifter
  • 69 posts 3 rep

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:05 PM

I love trees very much. Whenever trees are cut I feel very unhappy.
Allthough I do not plant trees on a regular basis, but I have planted many trees till now.
And some of them are now fully grown trees.
Everyone should love trees!!

#15 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:23 PM

Check out what the Netherlands are doing. Planting trees in old buoys.; they're trying to re-green the area.
Video via The Weather Channel-
https://weather.com/...-bobbing-forest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users