Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Recycling yourself

31 replies to this topic

#1 saver

saver

Regular

• Shifter
  • 61 posts 2 rep

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:44 AM

The thread about cardboard coffins reminded me of an article I'd read recently:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-15625285

It's about Wales changing to an opt-out organ donation policy from an opt-in one.
And I was wondering if others keen in recycling had the same feelings towards organ donation?

For me, I have no high regard for my body once I'm done with it. Without getting too philosophical-I simply won't need it any more.
I'm heartened by the thought that some people could make use of bits of me once I'm gone.

In some cases, it's the one bit of recycling that could directly save a life!

So should more countries adopt opt-out schemes? I think a lot of good could be done by removing the hassle of filling out a medical form. Sad to think that that little bit of work could make the ultimate difference for another person.

#2 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:22 AM

I don't know about countries and what they should do, but individuals should be donors. I've been on the
donor list for years.
At my age though, I'll just be a teaching tool I guess. Nothing viable left. :laugh:

But literally hundreds of people can be saved or helped with organ donation. Eyes, kidneys, lungs, skin
for burn victims, arteries, livers...............

Pumping dead folks full of chemicals, and sticking them in the ground is a stupid tradition considering
modern medicine and what can be done.
People can access donor sites via the web. Just make sure to tell family members of your wishes, so they
don't cancel it out.

#3 saver

saver

Regular

• Shifter
  • 61 posts 2 rep

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

The father of a friend if mine is a pharmacist, and I was slightly shocked to hear he didn't want his body incomplete on his death. I'd thought anyone working in medicine, but just goes to show.

Do any members know of schemes other than organ donation?
I'd heard of a scheme where bodies were placed in (for example) a forest, and how they decomposed was examined, all in order to aid detectives with comparisons for when they found corpses in the real world.

A bit of a grim one to think about, but still making use of yourself once your self has gone.

#4 Usty

Usty

Curious

• Shifter
  • 46 posts 0 rep

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

I think it would be great, but  could see there being unneeded controversy over this. I don't get how anyone could be possessive about what happens to their body after they expire...But I'm sure that won't stop some from making a ig fuss over it for whatever reason.

#5 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

At my age I am not sure there is anything that would be of good use, within my body. At any rate., when I am out of here, as someone said I am outta here. I really am not interested though, in being put in the ground, I would not know anything about it, but not interested in thinking about it now. Donating body parts is a good thing, for those who are still living. Cardboard coffins are an interesring concept.

#6 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

View Postartistry, on 06 April 2012 - 04:10 PM, said:

At my age I am not sure there is anything that would be of good use, within my body. At any rate., when I am out of here, as someone said I am outta here. I really am not interested though, in being put in the ground, I would not know anything about it, but not interested in thinking about it now. Donating body parts is a good thing, for those who are still living. Cardboard coffins are an interesring concept.
From one ancient to another :laugh: -they can always use us for study. Doctors start out on cadavers to learn their
surgical skills.
I like the one where they put your ashes into reef builders. Yes, it's energy use for the fire of the cremation,
but it gives fish a place to build a home.
http://www.eventecti...t-after-you-die

#7 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

Shortpoet, you just gave me my best laugh of the day so far. You are so funny. I am running a movie in my mind, where I am a cadaver, on the table and the student sticks in a knife, to bisect and study a part and I scream "OUCH". Scaring the dickens out of him or her, as they pass out. Perfect. Cheers. Have a great weekend and holiday.

#8 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

I think those who have driver license here have an option to be an organ donor by checking or filling up the option at the back of their cards. I do not have a license and just heard about it.
I also think that it is better to donate an organ than it will become no use at all to you when you die. It could save lives.

#9 saver

saver

Regular

• Shifter
  • 61 posts 2 rep

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:12 AM

That reef one is inspired Short!

Bit costly though, could the hospital just chuck me on a dinghy and push me out with the tide? I'm sure I'd sink soon enough!

#10 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:09 AM

View Postzararina, on 06 April 2012 - 10:14 PM, said:

I think those who have driver license here have an option to be an organ donor by checking or filling up the option at the back of their cards. I do not have a license and just heard about it.
I also think that it is better to donate an organ than it will become no use at all to you when you die. It could save lives.
You can still be a donor, even if you never drive. Just sign up on the web.
http://organdonor.gov/index.html
http://www.thenation...rgandonors.org/
http://www.unos.org/...ic=fact_sheet_8

#11 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:13 AM

View Postartistry, on 06 April 2012 - 05:58 PM, said:

Shortpoet, you just gave me my best laugh of the day so far. You are so funny. I am running a movie in my mind, where I am a cadaver, on the table and the student sticks in a knife, to bisect and study a part and I scream "OUCH". Scaring the dickens out of him or her, as they pass out. Perfect. Cheers. Have a great weekend and holiday.
Thanks. It's always good to laugh.
And I won't be dying chicken chicks purple for the holiday, I can guarantee you that. :tongue:
Posted Image

#12 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

I've had the donor box checked on my license for 30 years or so. I don't care what happens to my body after I die and I hope it can do some good. I've always been shocked by people who won't do it for no other reason than they don't want their dead body cut into.

Here's what I've always thought. If you have a license that doesn't allow for organ donation, then you should not be eligible to get an organ donation. Now, you have to make exceptions for people who can't be organ donors for medical reasons (and there are many) but unless your reason is medical and backed up by a doctor's certification, you shouldn't be allowed to get in line for an organ if you are in a life threatening accident or develop a disease that requires an organ transplant. There are many more people who need transplants than there are organs available and people die waiting for organ transplants, so if you're so selfish to deny potentially healthy lifesaving organs to others, you shouldn't be able to get one yourself.

#13 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 06 April 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

From one ancient to another :laugh: -they can always use us for study. Doctors start out on cadavers to learn their
surgical skills.
I like the one where they put your ashes into reef builders. Yes, it's energy use for the fire of the cremation,
but it gives fish a place to build a home.
http://www.eventecti...t-after-you-die

Haha :)  Hopefully I will be ancient when I go!

I have been an organ donor since I first got my drivers license- well umm some years ago we will say.  I have no use for my body once I pass on.  I would prefer it if others could get some use of it!

#14 btatro

btatro

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 104 posts 1 rep

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

I am on the donor list. I guess I share a similar mentality in that if I can not use my organs, they may as well go to someone who is desperately in need. People wait years and years for organ transplants. I know I would feel honored to have a part of my body go on to help someone else live a longer life.

#15 katdolores

katdolores

Curious

• Shifter
  • 37 posts 1 rep

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

I want really want to donate my well-taken cared of organs to others when I die. However, I do not want to be a cadaver for study. I have friends who are med students and I have seen what they did with the cadavers and how they think of it. They do not make fun of the cadavers out of respect, but somehow a human being can't help say some stuff about their cadavers.

#16 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:43 AM

View Postkatdolores, on 07 April 2012 - 08:08 PM, said:

I want really want to donate my well-taken cared of organs to others when I die. However, I do not want to be a cadaver for study. I have friends who are med students and I have seen what they did with the cadavers and how they think of it. They do not make fun of the cadavers out of respect, but somehow a human being can't help say some stuff about their cadavers.
What's the difference? You're gone anyway.

#17 katdolores

katdolores

Curious

• Shifter
  • 37 posts 1 rep

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 08 April 2012 - 02:43 AM, said:

What's the difference? You're gone anyway.

Ain't that right? Haha! Still, I find organ donation more useful than me being a cadaver, meant to be opened and cut up. I just can't bear the thought, that's all.

#18 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

View Postkatdolores, on 08 April 2012 - 06:15 AM, said:

Ain't that right? Haha! Still, I find organ donation more useful than me being a cadaver, meant to be opened and cut up. I just can't bear the thought, that's all.

I know it sounds rough, but if you die by a disease your body can be used for a good purpose.  Scientists can learn about what happened and if there were things they could do to cure somebody else who has the disease.  There is a lot they can learn.  

I really don't care what happens to my body when I pass and if it benefits others, I am all for it.

#19 agoodwriter

agoodwriter

• Shifter
  • 8 posts 0 rep

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:01 AM

Really.. How can i recycle myself.. Well it's easy.. I recycle all my clothes and stuff what i'm using!

#20 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:22 AM

View Postkatdolores, on 08 April 2012 - 06:15 AM, said:

Ain't that right? Haha! Still, I find organ donation more useful than me being a cadaver, meant to be opened and cut up.
I just can't bear the thought, that's all.
Oh come on now kat! :tongue:
Your parts could end up on Dr. Oz's show, where he has audience members look at worn out lungs or
diseased kidney's as a learning tool. :laugh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users