Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Recycling Cell phones

11 replies to this topic

#1 dkramarczyk

dkramarczyk

Regular

• Shifter
  • 51 posts 2 rep

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

I think that recycling old cell phones is a great way to help reduce waste. I have seen many people just throw them away or let them sit in a drawer until they were no longer useable. Why would someone want to do that? I really like how you can sell your old, used cell phones and that way you are reducing waste and making money. Or you could just bring it to some of those places that have recycling cell phone boxes. They are literally all over the place, but the people that don't care about recycling don't even notice them. Next time I upgrade my cell phone, I will be recycling or selling the old one.

What about you?

#2 encryptedbytes

encryptedbytes

Curious

• Shifter
  • 10 posts 2 rep

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

View Postdkramarczyk, on 30 March 2012 - 04:08 PM, said:

I have seen many people... let them sit in a drawer until they were no longer useable. Why would someone want to do that?

I always keep a couple of my previous phones in case my new phone is lost, stolen, or broken. Doing this allows me to avoid paying the extra $5 a month for handset insurance on each of the 4 phones on my account. This saves me $20 a month on my phone bill and if something does happen to my current phone, I just bring the previous one in and get it reactivated. Basically, by keeping my previous phone, I provide my own handset insurance.

Any other "extra" phones get sold through Cragslist or eBay. If there is no interest from buyers, the phones get recycled.

#3 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

When I have a new cellphone, I do give my old phone to a relative. I had also tried swapping a lower unit/brand of cellphone to a higher one plus some amount of money.
There are lots of cellphone repair shops here that buys old and even defective cellphone but it was on a very low price.

#4 dkramarczyk

dkramarczyk

Regular

• Shifter
  • 51 posts 2 rep

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:55 AM

I don't mind keep one or two around in case one breaks or gets lost/stolen, etc. I do that. I just hate when people just decide to throw them in the trash, because there are a lot of people out there that would want to use it.
I didn't know that cell phone repair shops buy old or broken cell phones. Good to know.

#5 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:42 AM

View Postdkramarczyk, on 31 March 2012 - 02:55 AM, said:

I just hate when people just decide to throw them in the trash, because there are a lot of people out there that would want to use it.
Not to mention the toxic elements (lead, cadmium, mercury) in them that can leach into the water/soil from landfills disposal.

"Electronic waste accounts for 70 percent of the overall toxic waste currently found in landfills, according to Global Futures Foundation.
In addition to valuable metals like aluminum, electronics often contain hazardous materials such as mercury.
When placed in a landfill, even in small doses, these materials can contaminate soil as well as drinking water.

While your trusty cell phone may not contain as much toxic material as larger electronic devices such as TVs, its shelf life
is only about 18 months for the average consumer.
With hip new products coming out on a regular basis, it’s estimated that there are more than 500 million
used cell phones ready for disposal.

Cell phone coatings are often made of lead, meaning that if these 500 million cell phones are disposed of in landfills,
it will result in 312,000 pounds of lead released.
However, possibly the most hazardous component of the cell phone is the battery.

Cell phone batteries were originally composed of nickel and cadmium (Ni-Cd batteries).
Cadmium is listed as a human carcinogen that causes lung and liver damage.
Alternatives contain potentially explosive lithium or toxic lead."
http://earth911.com/...mful-materials/
A few good places to check out-
http://www.veteransa...ng-back/recycle
http://www.notepage....cell-phones.htm
http://www.recycling...-of-e-waste.php
Lots more available via any search engine. :smile:

#6 rbaker_59

rbaker_59

Regular

• Shifter
  • 86 posts 3 rep

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:26 AM

When I buy a phone, it is usually the ones that are on clearance and are considered almost obsolete.  So, getting insurance on them is a waste of money to me.  I usually keep at least one used around just in case something happens to the one I'm using.  The others are usually not sellable. Best Buy has recycling bins as you go in their door.  And, the city recycling center has a unit for any kind of electronics to be recycled.  It makes sense to me.

#7 Hardison

Hardison

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 446 posts 37 rep

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

There are many places to recycle your old phone in my area.  If you have a smartphone, there's a kiosk in the mall that will give you money for that phone. I ususally give my phone to someone who doesn't have a phone or donate them to Goodwill.

#8 btatro

btatro

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 104 posts 1 rep

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

Consider donating your old cell phone to a daycare if it is no longer viable. Kids of all ages love talking to eachother and "calling mom and dad" on their pretend phones. Of course they do not have to turn on or even work. The imagination of children creates everything they need out of a blank screen and fun little buttons!

#9 hunysukle

hunysukle

Curious

• Shifter
  • 42 posts 1 rep

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

There are many sites online that help you recycle cell phones. Money4phones.com actually pays people money for their recycled cell phones. There is no excuse for people not to recycle their cell phones anymore.

#10 dkramarczyk

dkramarczyk

Regular

• Shifter
  • 51 posts 2 rep

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:41 PM

I definitely agree with that.

View Posthunysukle, on 31 March 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

There is no excuse for people not to recycle their cell phones anymore.
But there really are a lot of people out there that are so wasteful. I really wish they weren't though cause they are really going to hurt the planet and hurt everyone else's attempts to make this planet a better place.

#11 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

I keep a couple since we have 4 lines on my family plan.  This way if anybody has a problem with a phone, we have an old one.  Others get donated so women who are victims of domestic violence can have them.  All cell phones will dial 911 even without any service.  I have never thrown a cell phone out.

#12 SheforACT

SheforACT

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:09 AM

Your city undoubtedly has places to recycle old phones. Most local government websites, like New York's, have directions of where to go to recycle phones. A lot of cities usually have nonprofits that donate old phones as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users