Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Recycled Plastic Produce Bags

32 replies to this topic

#1 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

I usually shop at Stop and Shop, but I do occasionally shop at other stores.  We have a few supermarkets here, but I prefer Stop and Shop.  You know the produce bags you use at the stores to put your veggies and fruit in? Stop and Shop now has produce bags that are recycled plastic.  They have both there, at least for now they do.  I saw them the other day when I was there.

This is the first store around us that I have seen them in.  They are a different color so you can see which ones are the regular and which ones are the recycled plastic.  Does your supermarket offer these bags? This is the first time I had seen them.  I used them and they seemed to hold up better then the regular produce bags.

#2 Safety

Safety

• Shifter
  • 4 posts 0 rep

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:29 AM

Unfortunately I haven't seen recycled plastic bags at any of my local supermarkets. What someone should do is propose using recycled plastic bags to a major company such as Wal-Mart, were there would be a much bigger impact and I'm sure if a company such as Wal-Mart started using them, then other companys such as Save-A-Lot and such would also use them as well.

#3 Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 329 posts 34 rep

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

I've noticed that recycled plastic always seems stronger than the original incarnation. As Safety says, if one of the big players adopts the practice, it will make a bigger impact and the others will rush to follow suit. This happened in the UK, when the first of the major supermarkets introduced the idea of bringing your own bags for your shopping. Tesco offered 1 Clubcard point (worth 1p) for every bag you re-used, although you could still get free bags. It worked, too.

#4 rbaker_59

rbaker_59

Regular

• Shifter
  • 86 posts 3 rep

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:43 AM

We don't have those in my area, but I would welcome the idea with open arms.  I usually reuse the bags to freeze meat, etc in.  It cuts down the cost of buying other freezer bags.  The reusable bags would last a lot longer and produce more savings in the long run, not to mention a better impact on the environment.

#5 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

We have a couple of supermarkets here that make you pay for plastic bags.  You can bring in your own or you can purchase them.  These are the discount stores.  Then we have other supermarkets that give you 5 cents for every bag you bring in to the store to use.  This is the first time that I have seen the produce bags of recycled plastic tho.

#6 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

View PostSandra Piddock, on 26 March 2012 - 01:09 AM, said:

I've noticed that recycled plastic always seems stronger than the original incarnation. As Safety says, if one of the big players adopts the practice, it will make a bigger impact and the others will rush to follow suit. This happened in the UK, when the first of the major supermarkets introduced the idea of bringing your own bags for your shopping. Tesco offered 1 Clubcard point (worth 1p) for every bag you re-used, although you could still get free bags. It worked, too.

I have noticed recycled plastic is stronger then the original too.  Even the recycled plastic garbage bags are stronger then the regular plastic.  There must be something in the process.

#7 steph84

steph84

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 265 posts 12 rep

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

Our local Walmart tried to implement a program where they charge .15 cents a bag and it just bombed because people were threatening to shop elsewhere. I think that programs that push it in more of a positive light (like Target takes off .05 for every reusable bag that you bring in) have a better result than charging people because they feel like they are being punished.

#8 jackboyz

jackboyz

• Shifter
  • 9 posts 1 rep

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:57 AM

It is a good step to save our environment. Actually, I love recycling and crazy about it. Recycling of plastic is a must to keep our earth clean and green.

#9 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:19 AM

I keep a string mesh bag, along with my other reusables, just for produce. If we don't use plastic bags in
the first place, we don't gave to worry about recycling them.

#10 meowcow

meowcow

Regular

• Shifter
  • 51 posts 7 rep

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

This is my first time hearing of recycled plastic bags. I'm happy to hear it too. Plastic is still much more durable and reusable than paper, and if they are able to keep using them, while still being environmentally friendly, then that is just dandy. :) In our area, they have overruled the use of plastic altogether, so restaurants and supermarkets have been using paper bags for about a year now.

#11 happyrocinante

happyrocinante

Curious

• Shifter
  • 46 posts 0 rep

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

I have seen them before but none of the stores in my area use them.  I like the idea of using a mesh bag.  Do you ever have any problems with the cashiers when you use it?  I think my cashiers would just look at me and refuse to weigh it.  Worth a shot though.

#12 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:20 AM

View Posthappyrocinante, on 03 July 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

I have seen them before but none of the stores in my area use them.  I like the idea of using a mesh bag.  Do you ever have any problems with the cashiers when you use it?  I think my cashiers would just look at me and refuse to weigh it.  Worth a shot though.
I pile everything into one bag, so they have to remove them from the bag to weigh. No biggie.

#13 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:49 AM

I think we do not have a store here that offers recycled plastic produce bags yet.
What I could see here are reusable kind of bags that are also sold in the grocery for a small amount.

#14 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 03 July 2012 - 02:19 AM, said:

I keep a string mesh bag, along with my other reusables, just for produce. If we don't use plastic bags in
the first place, we don't gave to worry about recycling them.

Even better :) I like that they offer these that are made with recycled plastic tho because we know many people don't bring in re-usable bags.

#15 QuatreHiead

QuatreHiead

Regular

• Shifter
  • 62 posts 5 rep

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

I know our supermarket has started using recyclable, green-colored produce bags in the fruits, vegetables and meats section. I thought that was an interesting and nice change to see. It's great that there are all kinds of businesses making an effort, even if a portion of it is to only please consumers like ourselves who would like them to. I would like to hope these materials would be cheaper for them to purchase now, I know once upon a time at the office where I work the "green" products were typically more expensive.

#16 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

I had not heard of the recycled plastic bags as yet, or seen any. But that is a great idea. I am certain more and more things will start to be recyled to help create less waste and cost. I should say that I  am hopeful this will happen. I do remember reading that a bio-degradable plastic, is in the making, so that should help as well.

#17 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

View PostQuatreHiead, on 07 July 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

I know our supermarket has started using recyclable, green-colored produce bags in the fruits, vegetables and meats section. I thought that was an interesting and nice change to see. It's great that there are all kinds of businesses making an effort, even if a portion of it is to only please consumers like ourselves who would like them to. I would like to hope these materials would be cheaper for them to purchase now, I know once upon a time at the office where I work the "green" products were typically more expensive.
Yeah ours are green colored here too.  It is a good thing to see stores taking the step to at least make a little change.  Stop and Shop is the store I always shop at because of it's little differences like this (well other reasons too.)  They also have local produce for as long as it is possibly available where some of the other stores do not.

#18 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:59 AM

They may not be the same thing, but I always put my produce in green bags in the frig-the produce doesn't
spoil as quickly and celery (which I love) stays crispy for 10+ days, same with lettuce.

#19 milano

milano

Curious

• Shifter
  • 37 posts 3 rep

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:54 AM

Are they free? From what I have seen, supermarkets/stores going green also brings nuisance to its customers or extra costs. I have seen one supermarket that switched from plastic to cheap recycled paper that you cannot even put anything heavy on it or it will break. What they have done is to just double bag or triple bag some items. Isn't the cost of that even higher than using one regular plastic bag?

Most people will not go green if it will not fulfill the 2 C's, convenient and cheap.

#20 Pat

Pat

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 108 posts 7 rep

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

Convenience and cheap seems to be the only thing some people are concerned with. Recycling is too much effort and trouble.  Back in the day people carried their produce in baskets. We should try that for one day to see how much energy could ne saved.

I do recycle my bags but have not seen produce bags that have been recycled my stores.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users