Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Styrofoam Egg Cartons

16 replies to this topic

#1 rbaker_59

rbaker_59

Regular

• Shifter
  • 86 posts 3 rep

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

Styrofoam egg cartons can be used for crafts, to plant seedlings, or collecting eggs for someone who is raising chickens.  Unfortunately, I do not raise chickens, don't have a garden space, and no time for crafting at this point.  Any ideas on other uses instead of throwing them away?

#2 Hysssss-teria

Hysssss-teria

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 99 posts 19 rep

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

Use styrofoam egg cartons for organizing and storing jewelry.

Make a chip/dip tray -- serve chips or raw veggies in the lat top, and dips in the cells.

Break them into packing material.

Wash them VERY WELL and use for ice cube trays. Close the lids and stack your ice cube trays.

Store golf balls in them.

Contact local craft shops and elementary schools and see if they can use them for crafts.

http://www.greenlivi...-styrofoam/html
Earth911.org -- If you're in the USA, there's a search function at the top of the website where you can enter the term "polystyrene" and then in the box on the right, enter your location. The search results will provide listings of companies and organizations in your local area that will take polystyrene. Note: Be sure to enter "polystyrene" rather than "styrofoam" as the latter, being just a brand name, is unlikely to return any results.

#3 Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 329 posts 34 rep

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

Going back 40 years to when my kids were at playgroup (kindergarten), we used polystyrene egg cartons to make Christmas tree decorations. All you need is some glue, glitter, ribbon, cotton wool and sequins to make lots of different decorations. One of the mums used to collect cartons all through the year and make decorations which were sold at the playgroup's Christmas fair. It's worth a thought, either to make some extra cash yourself, or for charity.

#4 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

All I ever see any more are the pressed/recycled paper - but then I may just not be looking.

I save most of mine and give them to a farmer at our farmers market to reuse for selling his eggs. He puts his label on the used ones. The few I keep are for holding and organizing my beads and findings for jewelry making and to store little office supplies like paper clips and staples

#5 rbaker_59

rbaker_59

Regular

• Shifter
  • 86 posts 3 rep

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

These are really good ideas.  Thanks you guys.  I never thought about using them for ice cube trays.  With summer coming up and everyone using a lot of ice, this is perfect.  Will have to start planning for it.

#6 UmiNoor

UmiNoor

• Shifter
  • 9 posts 0 rep

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

I sometimes return the egg cartons to the egg sellers at the market for a few eggs. But I will gladly give it back to him for free instead of having to throw them away. I also use the egg cartons when I need a container to grow some seeds. Once the seeds are all grown, I will transfer it to a bigger pot.

#7 Sarah C.

Sarah C.

Regular

• Shifter
  • 87 posts 8 rep

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

I do still see styrofoam containers at the store for eggs. I have noticed they seem to be much thinner than they used to be. I try to buy the cartons made out of recycled paper, since I have no use for the styrofoam.

#8 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:29 AM

In here, you can only get such egg cartoon when you purchase in a supermarket or in some retail stores. So it can be reused here to hold eggs when someone will buy few pieces of eggs on a store that does not provides the carton. Returning could be an idea too or using it to hold some other small items.

#9 rbaker_59

rbaker_59

Regular

• Shifter
  • 86 posts 3 rep

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:40 AM

View Postzararina, on 26 March 2012 - 12:29 AM, said:

In here, you can only get such egg cartoon when you purchase in a supermarket or in some retail stores. So it can be reused here to hold eggs when someone will buy few pieces of eggs on a store that does not provides the carton. Returning could be an idea too or using it to hold some other small items.

In my area, most eggs are sold in the syrofoam.  We do not have stores that sell them without the carton.  And, I haven't found any local farmers that grow the chickens that would need them.  I do like the idea of using them to make ice cubes though.  That's a great idea with summer coming up.

#10 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

Check with your city council. Most allow raising chickens these days. But no roosters-they're too noisy.
2 or 3 will keep you in eggs without the plastic. Or 4-5 for a bigger family.
They help keep the bugs in the area down too.

#11 rbaker_59

rbaker_59

Regular

• Shifter
  • 86 posts 3 rep

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 26 March 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

Check with your city council. Most allow raising chickens these days. But no roosters-they're too noisy.

That's a good idea, thanks!  I would have to just come up with a set up for them.

#12 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:47 AM

View Postrbaker_59, on 26 March 2012 - 12:57 PM, said:

That's a good idea, thanks!  I would have to just come up with a set up for them.
You're welcome. Check out the Mother Earth News site on the net. Their search button will take you to
articles of interest regarding fencing, coops, etc.

#13 hunysukle

hunysukle

Curious

• Shifter
  • 42 posts 1 rep

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

You could use the individual cavities to place pairs of earrings or other small jewelry items.

#14 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 26 March 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

I wish we were allowed to raise chickens here!! But then again most of the yards here are real small.  I know it is against the law here to have them.  They found chickens loose last year and it was a huge deal as the owners were to get big fines :(

We raised chickens when I was a kid and had no ticks in our yard growing up!

#15 Hysssss-teria

Hysssss-teria

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 99 posts 19 rep

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

For those who would like to find some chickens to raise, or just places to give egg cartons to, there are probably more farmers in your region then you are aware of.

I found dozens of local farms that grow, produce and sell natural and organic products in my area just last week by going to Eatwild. I had no idea that most of these farms -- large and small -- even existed! Find your area here:
http://www.eatwild.com/products/index.html

Eatwild's Directory of Farms lists more than 1,300 pasture-based farms, with more farms being added each week. It is the most comprehensive source for grass-fed meat and dairy products in the United States and Canada.

To find pastured products near you, click on your state in the map below or from the Alphabetical State List at the bottom of this page. Or choose Canada or Outside the US & Canada.

Producers listed on Eatwild certify that they meet our exacting criteria, assuring that their animals and the land are well-treated, that their products are exceptionally high in nutrition and free of antibiotics and added hormones. Products include: Beef, Pork, Lamb, Veal, Goat, Elk, Venison, Yak, Chickens, Ducks, Rabbits, Turkeys, Eggs, Milk, Cheeses, Produce, Nuts, Berries, Wild-Caught Salmon and more!”

#16 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

I should have mentioned this first time around - 3 different grocery stores within a couple miles of where I live sell loose eggs. You can bring your own carton in and buy them that way and pay per egg. Convenient for people who don't eat a lot of eggs. The stores provide empty half cartons if you need them, but then you can reuse them. Sometimes, in smaller places, all it takes is enough customers mentioning to management that something would be a good  idea that would be supported by the community for a store to try something new or change their ways.

#17 SheforACT

SheforACT

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:18 AM

Take the egg cartons with you if you purchase local eggs; many farmers will appreciate the chance to reuse or recycle an egg carton instead of providing a fresh one they know will just go to waste.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users