Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Recycling Cloth

7 replies to this topic

#1 Sarah C.

Sarah C.

Regular

• Shifter
  • 87 posts 8 rep

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

I am curious if you guys have any suggestions for recycling things made of cloth. Ex. clothes, linens, towels etc.... I know I can donate the items that are still in good shape, but the items that are not, I am wondering should I just burn them, or is there something else i could do with them?

#2 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:52 AM

Use 'em up until they're just a few shreds left! :tongue:  No, seriously. If they're just rags, use them as rags to wash cars, floors, etc.

Here's a blog post I did on what to do with old jeans: 5 No-Sew Projects For Old Jeans

And another on what to do with old T-shirts: A New Life For Old T-Shirts

Turn old towels into beach bags. Cut down old dresses into tunic tops. Tear lightweight fabrics into strips and make rag rugs. Cut old clothes into squares and make colorful quilts.

#3 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:31 AM

Yes they can be reused as rags. Some old jeans are used to made purses and bags and it maybe works too for some other kinds of clothing. You can also try making pillow covers with those old shirts.

#4 Sarah C.

Sarah C.

Regular

• Shifter
  • 87 posts 8 rep

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

View Postmariaandrea, on 11 March 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

Use 'em up until they're just a few shreds left! :tongue:  No, seriously. If they're just rags, use them as rags to wash cars, floors, etc.

Here's a blog post I did on what to do with old jeans: 5 No-Sew Projects For Old Jeans

And another on what to do with old T-shirts: A New Life For Old T-Shirts

Turn old towels into beach bags. Cut down old dresses into tunic tops. Tear lightweight fabrics into strips and make rag rugs. Cut old clothes into squares and make colorful quilts.

Thank you for the advice and the links. I am excited to look at them and get some ideas!

#5 Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 329 posts 34 rep

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

Everything Mariaandrea said - plus this idea. If you have old bath sheets, turn them into beach cover ups. It's simple, even for those who think needles are for giving injections. Put two bath sheets together, leave a slashed kneck at the top, and sew about 5 - 6" each side for the shoulders. Then measure down 8 - 9" from the outside edge of the shoulders. Stitch down from there. If you have the legs to do daring, just stitch down past the hip bone, otherwise, hem down to the bottom.

This makes a good caftan for relaxing indoors as well. Go for matching or contrasting towels, and if you want to, decorate with ribbon, or whatever else you have available.

#6 Sarah C.

Sarah C.

Regular

• Shifter
  • 87 posts 8 rep

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

View PostSandra Piddock, on 11 March 2012 - 11:50 AM, said:

Everything Mariaandrea said - plus this idea. If you have old bath sheets, turn them into beach cover ups. It's simple, even for those who think needles are for giving injections. Put two bath sheets together, leave a slashed kneck at the top, and sew about 5 - 6" each side for the shoulders. Then measure down 8 - 9" from the outside edge of the shoulders. Stitch down from there. If you have the legs to do daring, just stitch down past the hip bone, otherwise, hem down to the bottom.

This makes a good caftan for relaxing indoors as well. Go for matching or contrasting towels, and if you want to, decorate with ribbon, or whatever else you have available.

This sounds like a neat idea. Have you done this? I would love to see a pic of what the finished product looks like.

#7 rbaker_59

rbaker_59

Regular

• Shifter
  • 86 posts 3 rep

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:18 AM

Provided there is enough good cloth, old bed sheets can be cut down and stitched to make curtains for the windows.  When the fabric is turned into shreds after use, wash well and use as batting to make pillows.  Decorator pillows can be handstitched to give a distinctive look.  And they can be used from cloth that is good on other things you would normally throw away, such as worn out shirts and dress slacks, etc.

#8 SheforACT

SheforACT

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:29 AM

Alter your clothes - turn a long sleeve shirt into a short sleeve summer top, or cut off some old jeans for shorts. Use old fabrics for rags - use rags for cleaning instead of disposable paper towels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users