Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Adhering to the 100 mile diet

22 replies to this topic

#1 jasserEnv

jasserEnv

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 406 posts 45 rep

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:08 PM

One of the ways of reducing our environmental footprint that is often discussed is the idea of the 100 mile diet where you attempt to get most of your food within a 100 mile radius from where you live. While I try to adhere to this diet, I have found it difficult for some foods. The more processed foods are coming from across the country and some specific vegetables like garlic are coming from around the world. This says nothing about the fruits that are native to specific locations.

I am curious what steps other people have taken to increase the amount of food that they buy from local producers? What are the types of foods that you find difficult to buy locally?

#2 Hayden

Hayden

Admin

• Global Moderator
  • 1,489 posts 72 rep

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:08 PM

Interesting. I found the book for that diet here: http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/0307347338

#3 jasserEnv

jasserEnv

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 406 posts 45 rep

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:12 AM

The books that I have seen don't cover the difficulties of trying to find some types of food in some parts of the world. That is why I am curious as to what people have done and what successes they have had with the diet.

#4 Monkey Doctor

Monkey Doctor

Curious

• Shifter
  • 26 posts 3 rep

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

I do this for all of my fruit and veg (apart from bananas). I find it difficult for things like olive oil, soy sauce etc where it can't be produced locally. In my opinion, if we do as much as possible a bit of olive oil that came over on a boat is ok. I don't buy apples that have been shipped half way around the world.

#5 jasserEnv

jasserEnv

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 406 posts 45 rep

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:51 PM

Apples are such an easy one given that there are so many varieties to choose from. It is unfortunate that stores and producers discourage the display of the country of origin in prominent lettering for labeling the apples.

One product that I really have to go out of my way to get is garlic as it all seems to come from China. Even farmers markets aren't selling locally produced garlic. Given both the poor quality of ground water and the distance to ship, I simply refuse to buy Chinese garlic. I have sent letters to the stores indicating my discontent but get no response at all.

#6 mommymumbles

mommymumbles

Regular

• Shifter
  • 57 posts 4 rep

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:59 PM

View PostMonkey Doctor, on 28 September 2011 - 12:00 PM, said:

I do this for all of my fruit and veg (apart from bananas). I find it difficult for things like olive oil, soy sauce etc where it can't be produced locally. In my opinion, if we do as much as possible a bit of olive oil that came over on a boat is ok. I don't buy apples that have been shipped half way around the world.

I agree that we can do our best, but realize that we are not meant to follow everything to the letter. There are many food items we can buy from local sources, and for those we can't, then we can't. Going green and helping protect our environment should not mean stressing and getting obsessed either, I think. If I want my kids to be responsible as they grow up and be respectful of our world, I think I have a better chance if they see it more as a natural way of life and not something stressful and difficult.

#7 Bababooey

Bababooey

Curious

• Shifter
  • 44 posts 2 rep

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:14 PM

I love this concept! There was a local chef here in Vancouver who decided to implement the 100-mile diet into his restaurant. He revamped the entire menu so it only consisted of meat and produce that was readily and seasonally available. It really varied the menu a lot, and eating fresh, local food makes so much sense on so many levels.

#8 Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Regular

• Shifter
  • 52 posts 0 rep

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:32 PM

That's interesting. I hadn't heard of this before. I'll have to do a lot of research to find out how I can do this in my town.

#9 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:46 AM

I've read about this before and support it to an extent. There are a lot of things I wouldn't give up for the 100 mile diet -- olive oil, coffee, soy sauce, bananas. And there are some healthy, organic products that you can purchase online from growers around the country (and world) that support independent producers.

That said, my local grocery stores source a lot of food locally -- it's labeled and you get to know the names of local producers -- and I'm lucky enough to live not too far from year-round farmers markets, which of course is the best way to adhere to a local diet.

#10 Yoginitrish

Yoginitrish

Curious

• Shifter
  • 47 posts 4 rep

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:54 AM

I also love this concept. We really try to eat in season and perserve fresh produce to eat through the year. I also shop locally at Farmer's Markets and even at the big grocery store (they, too, stock local produce). It helps to also know where some of the more "processed" food is made. When I need a can of tomatoes, I always pick up a "jersey fresh" can.
Meat is a little trickier. There are a few farms that you can buy local meat as a "co-op" and basically split an entire cow or pig.

#11 Eiza

Eiza

Curious

• Shifter
  • 33 posts 2 rep

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:24 PM

While I've heard of the locally grown movement, I had not heard of the 100-mile diet. Sounds interesting, but I'm not certain how I would even begin. I suppose farmers markets are a start, but the farmers markets in my city tend to be more gourmet affairs. I'm not certain how many of the foods sold are really grown locally. Still, I like the concept both from a health point of view and also from the viewpoint of supporting local farmers.

#12 jasserEnv

jasserEnv

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 406 posts 45 rep

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:55 PM

View PostBababooey, on 07 October 2011 - 02:14 PM, said:

I love this concept! There was a local chef here in Vancouver who decided to implement the 100-mile diet into his restaurant. He revamped the entire menu so it only consisted of meat and produce that was readily and seasonally available. It really varied the menu a lot, and eating fresh, local food makes so much sense on so many levels.
That is very cool and since restaurants must maintain a continued focus on sourcing food, they have a better opportunity to keep track of where their food is coming from. I can't see it working for the restaurant chains by any means but it gives an opportunity to the smaller restaurants to compete with the big guys.

#13 jasserEnv

jasserEnv

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 406 posts 45 rep

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:40 AM

View PostEiza, on 10 October 2011 - 03:24 PM, said:

While I've heard of the locally grown movement, I had not heard of the 100-mile diet. Sounds interesting, but I'm not certain how I would even begin. I suppose farmers markets are a start, but the farmers markets in my city tend to be more gourmet affairs. I'm not certain how many of the foods sold are really grown locally. Still, I like the concept both from a health point of view and also from the viewpoint of supporting local farmers.

You may have to go toward the country to get to the farmers. In larger cities, the costs of the booth space can be prohibitive for the farmers unless subsidized. At the same time, I have seen that many farmers don't tend to have web sites or other online advertising. One idea is to go to the country fairs that are advertised online and talk to the farmers there to see where they sell their produce.

#14 milkdonormama

milkdonormama

Curious

• Shifter
  • 12 posts 0 rep

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:44 AM

I read a book by a couple who did this, but honestly, I do not have that much time to spend figuring out where my food came from. If I had that much time then I might just as well buy a farm and raise it all myself! I buy locally when I can afford it, especially items like local honey from the Ohio State University Honey Bee Lab and locally grown apples. However, I get grass fed organic beef from my uncle, who lives 300 miles away. At $2.50 per pound for the beef, and since the money stays in my family, I'm not going to give that up!

#15 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:17 AM

Honestly, I don't think strict adherence to any limited way of eating is all that healthy. I do think there are some great take-aways from the 100 mile diet and it's a good way to get people to think about where their food comes from. I think if we eat organic food as much as possible (when it's possible), limit meat consumption (or eliminate it), and most importantly, make our own food at home rather than purchasing processed food, then we're on a good track toward creating a more sustainable food chain. Not to mention we'll be healthier.

Also, I don't go out to eat very often, but when I do, I avoid national chain restaurants and choose those run by local chefs who source a lot of their food locally or use organic ingredients. Not always, because I'm pretty sure some of my favorite hole-in-the-wall dives aren't buying organic and local, but in that case at least I'm supporting independent entrepreneurs, which matters to me.

#16 Mon-Jes

Mon-Jes

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 168 posts 12 rep

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:26 AM

jasserEnv, grow your own garlic! It's small enough so that a container would work. Of course, if you're in a crowded apartment with no balcony, that could be a problem. But if you have room, try to get a non-Chinese bulb via mail order from a garden site.

#17 Pushhyarag2000

Pushhyarag2000

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 141 posts 5 rep

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:27 AM

This seems such an interesting yet intimidating concept, it might not have occurred to many people, as quite obvious now. That said, for we Indians, there would hardly be any difficulty in practicing this to the core. Except that the kids here are now swayed by a lot of the processed foods that have inundated the superstores. For someone of my generation at least, I can't quickly think of a few or at last one ingredient that I don't find within that 100 mile.

#18 makeitmom

makeitmom

Curious

• Shifter
  • 45 posts 2 rep

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:27 AM

This is very interesting. Even though I haven't heard of this diet, I think this a wonderful idea.

I already buy local (as much as I can, and when I can't (like for those special occasions when we go out to eat) we go to locally owned places (and not those food chain restaurants) that are known to use as much local as possible.

It also helps if you garden, and have a large freezer and canning storage area. When my mom came to live with us a couple of years back (avid gardener that she is) we caned and froze so much veggies, we didn't need to worry about buying out of our area.

Even if your not an avid gardener, you can learn a lot about the edible greens in your backyard. Dandelion greens go a long way from salad to stir-fry.

#19 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:26 AM

Processed foods that usually coming more than that distance is also less healthier than fresh foods that might be coming nearer. And so better to choose fresh than processed. And it was true that hard to find all foods needed by us within than 100 mile diet,  best to do is to consume as much as possible and as much as there is available option on such criteria. And growing own foods are good options too if possible.

#20 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:07 AM

View PostjasserEnv, on 27 September 2011 - 03:08 PM, said:

What are the types of foods that you find difficult to buy locally?
Fruit is the most difficult.
Bananas and pineapple; for instance.
You'd be hard pressed to find it grown in the 48 states. Mostly from Hawaii. Maybe not shipped as far
as produce from South America, but still.
Many fruit items are grown in California or Florida, so there's that shipping too.
Most states don't have the climate for it, or they have to be grown in hot houses. Ugh.

Maybe if we had to walk that 100 miles to get the items, we could cut down on obesity at the same time. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users