Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Synthetic Products

chemicals systhetic material chemical factories

11 replies to this topic

#1 joeldgreat

joeldgreat

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 162 posts 6 rep

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

Almost all countries produce thousands of different synthetic products. These are made from chemicals in chemical factories. They are not made directly from parts of plants or animals. These are synthetic soaps, drugs, and cloth. Plastic is a synthetic material from which thousands of other synthetic products are made.

Many synthetic products are stronger or more flexible than natural products. Synthetic cloth does not wrinkle as much as cotton cloth. Plastic eyeglass lenses do not break as easily as lenses made of glass.

In many ways, modern technology has made our lives easier. But it has also changed the natural environment in harmful ways.

#2 Pushhyarag2000

Pushhyarag2000

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 141 posts 5 rep

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:25 AM

All synthetic stuff is non bio degradable and ultimate disposal is bound to be a huge challenge for every nation in the world. In fact every modern invention {or at least most of them) turned out to be good for the lazy world but disastrous for the environment. We don't know the possible negative impact on the planet from the amount of inert material waste and wastes from other comfort appliances

#3 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:02 AM

It has pros and cons and sometimes if not often, even the cons are more, it was still produced. It could be because of the revenue or the earnings they would get from sales and it could be because of necessity too.Hard to totally rid those products, maybe we could just find more ways to make them less hazardous to the environment,more durable so that it does not need to be replaced even after couple of years.

#4 eweaver15

eweaver15

Curious

• Shifter
  • 12 posts 1 rep

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:05 PM

When I was growing up, I thought it was really cool that plastic and styrofoam don't break down. Now, unless we find ways to use the stuff for important things, we're going to end up covered in mountains of trash. I hope the entire world will work towards finding less harmful materials to use.

#5 joeldgreat

joeldgreat

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 162 posts 6 rep

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:41 PM

Manufacturers are claiming that by using synthetic products, we are actually saving Mother Earth. Its because no more trees to chop-off, no more mountains to mine and no other living things to kill. The idea at first sounds great, but after we used those synthetic products, we ask ourselves, how are we going to dispose it?

#6 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:45 AM

I think it's about balance and trying to make synthetic materials in as earth-friendly a way as possible - which isn't always easy - and only making what we need. Our whole economy is based on an excess of consumerism, which isn't good for us and isn't good for the resources of the planet. And, think about it, everything is made of something. All mass comes from somewhere. It isn't created out of nothing. Synthetic products are often made of petroleum byproducts. Synthetic products use resources.

On the other hands, a lot of synthetic products are invaluable to our quality of life. Literally. Like the radiation machine that is currently treating a friend of mine for cancer and a thousand other products from the IV tubes to the syringes that are saving her life.

#7 Alli

Alli

Regular

• Shifter
  • 98 posts 8 rep

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

I agree with mariaandrea- it is a matter of striking a good balance. Some things need to be synthetic- we just cannot make them from natural things. The key is to stick to those things and not get too many things that are not necessary. For example, we try to stick to mostly wooden toys instead of lots of plastic stuff for our son. He got lots of IKEA wooden toys this year.

#8 kat74

kat74

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 154 posts 9 rep

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:26 PM

If and when they will come up with a way to recycle all those things in favor of our environment, that's the only time I will say synthetic products are important in our life's.

#9 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:43 AM

View Postjoeldgreat, on 19 December 2011 - 04:26 PM, said:

Plastic is a synthetic material from which thousands of other synthetic products are made.
Not all and not always.
It used to come from trees.
Now, plastics come from old dinosaurs via oil and gas.
http://www.reachoutm...ck/plastic.html

#10 rbaker_59

rbaker_59

Regular

• Shifter
  • 86 posts 3 rep

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:34 AM

I feel the biggest problem with the production of new products is that science does not think about recycling when the products are discovered.  All products are made with something, but if science could think in longer terms of recycling in the end, we would have more answers when the products need to be disposed of.  Synthetic products do save lives, but when they were designed and produced, recycling was not the issue, it was what they could do for the good of humanity as a whole.

#11 steph84

steph84

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 265 posts 12 rep

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:03 AM

What scares me the most about synthetics is that we do not know the long term effects of the products. The same could be said of people who inject botox into their faces. Who knows what that stuff will do to you 50 years down the line. The benefits are only for a short term and we need to think of how these things will affect our health in the long run.

#12 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:10 AM

View Postjoeldgreat, on 27 December 2011 - 09:41 PM, said:

Manufacturers are claiming that by using synthetic products, we are actually saving Mother Earth.
I don't think this turtle would agree with those manufacturers.
http://www.b-e-a-c-h...g_plastic_2.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users