Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Green Superfood Powders - Any good?

18 replies to this topic

#1 vickieheully

vickieheully

• Shifter
  • 8 posts 2 rep

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:54 PM

Hello, I wanted to get some members' feedback on the Green Superfood Powder supplements you can find in health and whole foods stores.

I found one called Green Vibrance that claims to have equivalent to 1/2 lb fresh leafy greens in one scoop of powder. Plus it has probiotics, fiber, and vitamins.

Do you kind folks feel that this would be a good supplement for days when I don't get all of my vegetables on the plate? Life is busy sometimes and it's hard to get a good variety of the green stuff on a daily basis.

#2 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

I'm not personally a fan of powders, they don't make sense for me economically and I think whole foods are the healthiest choice. But, that said, I know people swear by it, and as a backup for a really busy day it could be fine. I just wouldn't use it regularly. For us, it's nearly as quick to throw yogurt, spinach, cucumber, milk and lots of fruit in a blender, which we do almost every day. And our drink probably tastes better. :wink:

#3 Hayden

Hayden

Admin

• Global Moderator
  • 1,489 posts 72 rep

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

Hi Vickey! We love welcoming new members. Make yourself at home.

I have not heard of green super foods so tried to read a bit about superfoods here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superfood

As for Green Vibrance I'm seeing over 200 positive reviews about that product here:
http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B00014E01K

#4 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:51 PM

I have not tried any of those green powders although I have the opportunity to see some in a certain market here.
I still prefer to get the nutrients through fresh foods and try my best to consume those in a daily basis. But I also think that if someone can not really have time to prepare healthier foods, supplements like that might help.

#5 vickieheully

vickieheully

• Shifter
  • 8 posts 2 rep

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

Thank you so much for your replies. The link to the Amazon reviews was very helpful. I may pick up a small can of it and keep it around for busy days.

#6 jasserEnv

jasserEnv

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 406 posts 45 rep

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

From what I have read in scientific publishing, the amount of beneficial material that remains after processing these materials is fairly small. Nutritionists tend to recommend the consumption of the real fruits and vegetables directly in order to get the super food benefits that have been identified. That said, if you don't see yourself consuming these super foods on their own, there is some benefit from the powders from what I understand.

#7 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

Ingredients is the first word that popped into my head. What fillers do they use?
And as jasserEnv pointed out, after processing-what is the real benefit?
Grab an apple-made in USA and healthy.

#8 Scott Di Vincenzo

Scott Di Vincenzo

• Shifter
  • 3 posts 0 rep

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

Green Vibrance®
The Ultimate Meal®
Vega Whole Foods Health Optimizer®
SuperMealRX®
ElixirMRE®

#9 Hayden

Hayden

Admin

• Global Moderator
  • 1,489 posts 72 rep

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:11 AM

@Scott welcome to the forums!

#10 Scott Di Vincenzo

Scott Di Vincenzo

• Shifter
  • 3 posts 0 rep

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:03 AM

Oh One More Company
MacroLife Greens® by
Macrolife Nutritionals

#11 Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 329 posts 34 rep

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

I'm sorry, but I just don't see the point of supplements for two reasons. First of all, if you're eating a varied diet which takes in all the major food groups, you'll be getting all the vitamins and nutrients your body needs. Then there's all the expert opinions that vitamins obtained from food sources are more efficiently used by the body than synthesised nutrients from supplements. Unless you have a problem with absorption, or a dangerous deficiency of a major nutrient, you do not need supplements.

My second objection is concerned with additives, as already mentioned by Shortpoet. In addition, there's the thought of all the energy needed to produce something we should be getting naturally anyway. Sorry, I just don't buy into this.

#12 Scott Di Vincenzo

Scott Di Vincenzo

• Shifter
  • 3 posts 0 rep

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:50 AM

spent 20 minutes typing  a detailed reply to Sandra & Vic and because I included the Amazing Grass URL  my  
note  was dumped and redirected  to the web administrator so im pretty upset.

anyway, Vic - Green Vibrance, Rainbow Vibrance, the afore mentioned green grass brands and ,of course,
the up and coming Amazing Grass ( nowhere near GV  probiotic value, however, many web stores sell AG 100
serving ORAC series $52

#13 Hardison

Hardison

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 446 posts 37 rep

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

I have tried Wheat Grass by Amazing Grass. It's a bit pricey for my current budget, but I really noticed a difference when I was using it. I had a lot more energy. I also noticed that my cravings for sugary foods was decreased. It also helped to regulate my bowels. I really did miss it when I could no longer afford it. As soon as my income is stable, I will be definitely using it again.

#14 Anna T

Anna T

Curious

• Shifter
  • 28 posts 1 rep

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

I used to take a green supplement from It Works. It actually tasted really good when mixed in water and I did notice that I felt better somehow after taking it.

But I agree with the others that this stuff is majorly processed, and I doubt the health benefit is as great as what it is claimed to be by the companies after all the processing. Still, not bad to have some around if you're been skimping on your greens because I don't see how it could hurt. It might actually help a little.

#15 4leafclover

4leafclover

Regular

• Shifter
  • 73 posts 4 rep

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

I am not a fan of this things as well. My philosophy is that anything unnatural, processed or synthetic will never be healthy and will only impose health problems later on. So I will just advise you to take things naturally and eat healthy. :)

#16 btatro

btatro

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 104 posts 1 rep

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:49 AM

View Post4leafclover, on 03 May 2012 - 08:46 AM, said:

I am not a fan of this things as well. My philosophy is that anything unnatural, processed or synthetic will never be healthy and will only impose health problems later on. So I will just advise you to take things naturally and eat healthy. :)

I agree with this, I prefer my nutrients fresh and from whole food. If you are having a busy day, big deal. One day without the recommended amount of green leafy veggies is not going to cause you harm.... if you do not make a habit out of it. Eat fresh, eat whole, and avoid tablets/ powders/ medications if they are not truly necessary to your health or well being.

#17 katniss

katniss

Curious

• Shifter
  • 31 posts 2 rep

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

I think green powders are hyped, overpriced, unnecessary 'superfoods' for raw foodists who don't get enough nutrition from fruits and vegetables. There is nothing that can compare to the power of live fresh food, especially a dehydrated powder. A lot of times there are additives in these gimmick foods. I wouldn't waste my money.

#18 sunflower

sunflower

• Shifter
  • 1 posts 0 rep

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:30 PM

Personally I love the green superfood powder i take - it has made such a huge difference to me for my health and just like overall wellbeing (helped me not feel so crappy and bloated and meh). i've tried heaps of different powder and for the most past yeah heaps of them are not worth it and you may as well jsut eat vegetables but then i found this one called Passion projects COmplex Green and its AMAZING.

I've done a bunch of research and i actually emailed the company and spoke to them about it and what i've found is that other green superfoods use juice powder which was a thing developed for flavouring things not for nutrients - Whereas Passion projects uses freeze drying which means their ingredients are raw and the all nutrients/vitamins/fibre are still in there.

ALSO one of the biggest reasons i like this one is because its the absolutly clean ie; it has no crap in it like fillers and additives and sugar - it's a proper formula made by a famous biochemist (the box of it I have in front of me says that it has over 81 ingredients and includes protein, chlorophyll, antioxidants, herbs, mushrooms, probiotics, digestive enzymes, fibre, fatty and amino acids, vitamins, minerals- in a base of raw, organic, freeze-dried vegetables and fruits.) It won an award for best product recently i think.

So as far as I'm concerned I take this in a smoothie in the morning and im happy that i've got all these good things in me and i feel really clear and ready to go to work (I work as a horse riding instructor so i need to be really clear and energetic obviously). I obviously eat a good diet on top of that but i feel like it gives you all this extra stuff you just cant get out of food - also most of the ingredients are stuff you just dont eat like rare south american superfood plants.

Omg sorry this is so long!! im ranting
Anway yah thats what I think about superfood powders - most of them are not worth it unless you get one like passion projects complex green that is just like really full of amazing stuff. I just buy it off their website and I'm kinda obsessed with it cause its really helped me a lot with my health and like not being so tired and feeling crappy all the time (its also really good for detoxing)- honeslty the best one out on the market, so worth it! ahh i really am so thankful for this product (as you can tell by this stupidly long review!!) anyway I hope that helps :) xxx

#19 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:46 AM

Some additional information links. As with all things food related; read the labels.
(For myself; I wouldn't buy on-line; the "sources" could be problematic to downright dangerous i.e. country of origin)
http://vitamins.love...ood_Powder_Scam

http://www.southerns...ds-health-hype/

http://www.healthlin...benefits-072214

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users