Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

More woman thrown under the bus.

cancer screening breast exams charity

46 replies to this topic

#21 tigerlily78

tigerlily78

Activist

• Global Moderator
  • 250 posts 71 rep

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 18 February 2012 - 05:05 AM, said:

I signed. This bill is horrendous.

#22 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 7,182 posts 555 rep

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

Actually, in a weird way, I love what the #gop is doing.
They are guaranteeing their massive loss in 2012. :laugh:

For some odd reason, they don't think us woman know how to read; but we do. ^_^

#23 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 7,182 posts 555 rep

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

issa committee hearings-(video's on the right side) democratic lambast the participants.
http://democrats.oversight.house.gov/

#24 Guest_arboramans_*

Guest_arboramans_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

IMHO, if you don't want a baby you shouldn't be having sex.

#25 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

View Postarboramans, on 19 February 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

You do realize, of course, that the issues we are talking about here are far more complex and nuanced than that, and that a good portion of what we're talking about has nothing to do with having sex or babies?!

#26 tigerlily78

tigerlily78

Activist

• Global Moderator
  • 250 posts 71 rep

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

View Postarboramans, on 19 February 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

Well, that's your opinion and you are free to operate under that constriction... but lucky for the rest of us, your point of view should not dictate other people's access to birth control, particularly when it is something so widely used and socially beneficial... for it to be purposefully excluded from insurance coverage is draconian.

There are plenty of married couples who do not want children at this juncture, do not want children ever, or already have as many children as they want or feel they can adequately provide for... are you suggesting that these people should refrain from sex rather than engage in a consensual, responsible sexual relationship within a marriage to suit YOUR religious belief?

I am curious how you feel about foster care, orphanages, welfare, and food assistance programs. Would you rather pay an extra $10,000 a year in taxes to provide social services to support children born into circumstances where the resources to support them emotionally and/or financially are not available? Or would you rather encourage other people to make responsible choices for themselves to prevent unwanted pregnancies?

#27 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 7,182 posts 555 rep

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:27 AM

"What appears to be a crowd of several hundred people gathered today at the Virginia state capitol.
Standing silently in the cold, they lined the walkway used by the legislators who have been voting on --
and voting away --
women's rights in Virginia.
A new poll out today from the Christopher Newport University and the Richmond Times-Dispatch shows Virginia's Republican majority to the right of Virginians.
About 55 percent of them say they don't like the measure that would require women seeking an abortion to first
undergo a medically unnecessary trans-vaginal ultrasound.
The Richmond paper reports the House was to vote on the bill today, but its patron chose instead to hold off for the day."

http://maddowblog.ms...ultrasound-vote

Pennsylvania legislators are moving forward on this forced vaginal probe too.
http://www.legis.sta...br=1077&pn=2511

"This week, the Virginia state Legislature passed a bill that would require women to have an ultrasound before they may have an abortion.
Because the great majority of abortions occur during the first 12 weeks, that means most women will be forced to have a transvaginal procedure, in which a probe is inserted into the vagina, and then moved around until an ultrasound image
is produced.

Since a proposed amendment to the bill—a provision that would have had the patient consent to this
bodily intrusion or allowed the physician to opt not to do the vaginal ultrasound—failed on 64-34 vote, the law provides
that women seeking an abortion in Virginia will be forcibly penetrated for no medical reason.
I am not the first person to note that under any other set of facts, that would constitute rape under state law.

So the problem is not just that the woman and her physician (the core relationship protected in Roe) no longer matter at all in deciding whether an abortion is proper.
It is that the physician is being commandeered by the state to perform a medically unnecessary procedure upon
a woman, despite clear ethical directives to the contrary."
http://www.slate.com...cal_reason.html

#28 Guest_arboramans_*

Guest_arboramans_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:41 AM

It's every woman's right to choose. I'd never legislate against it. But I think that life begins at conception, so I don't see how you can say that at any given point in the development there is some magical cut off point. You obviously can't kill a baby the second it's born, so you can't kill a baby during birth, so you therefore can't kill a baby just before birth and so on and on back to conception - theer is no point that says this is morally ok to end this life. However you to try to justify it that is that.

#29 Guest_arboramans_*

Guest_arboramans_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:43 AM

I should of course add , to keep it on topic, that because i don't beleive in legislation I also don't ebleive a woman should be forced to undergo ANY procedure except where it can be shown she is not mentally competent to make a decision.

#30 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 7,182 posts 555 rep

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

Virginia legislators heard us?
http://content.usato...?source=twitter

#31 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 7,182 posts 555 rep

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:58 AM

Jon Stewart carries a lot of weight. If he calls something bat-sh*t, a lot of people listen to him.
SNL also made fun of Virginia's attempt to penetrate women's bodies with invasive procedures.
For now, the bill has failed.
But with a #gop governor, house/senate in Virginia, they'll try again.

The thing that bothers me the most about this bill is the fact that is was introduced by a woman. WTH?
In a tit for tat play,
"Sen. Janet Howell, offered an amendment to require doctors to perform a rectal exam and cardiac stress test
on men seeking medication for erectile dysfunction." (What's good for the goose, is good for gander.) :laugh:

http://www.usatoday....6/1?sf3271814=1

#32 tigerlily78

tigerlily78

Activist

• Global Moderator
  • 250 posts 71 rep

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

Can I just say... the evangelicals rather frighten me. Every time Rick Santorum opens his mouth I am reminded of that quote about fascism, that it will come wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross.

They hate the LGBT community, they hate Mexicans, they hate blacks, they hate liberals, and apparently they hate the idea of women having control of their own destiny when it comes to sex and parenthood (ie. they hate women in the workplace, instead of barefoot and pregnant in the home where we belong)... Hate and rhetoric, which is blindly followed as divine doctrine seems like the perfect tinder for another round of extremists "defending" their superiority by going on the offensive with violence and oppression.

#33 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 7,182 posts 555 rep

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

And if there is a god, when folks like insanetorum and bachman get to the gates,
"she'll" stand there laughing :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
and say-
"yeah, right"
Take the DOWN elevator.

#34 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 7,182 posts 555 rep

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:05 AM

The rallying cry from the #gop-"We need more buses"
(Not for public transportation, but so they'll have plenty of them to throw women under.)

Over 1100 laws have been passed in states to prevent women's healthcare.
http://www.washingto...5tKxR_blog.html

#35 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,005 posts 279 rep

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

As an educated women it makes me really mad to think that a bunch of men think they can legislate how I handle my body and health care.  Folks a women’s right to choose how she will handle her own healthcare is under assault.  I would not only encourage every women but also men who agree to sigh the petition and get involved.

The only thing legislators seem to understand is putting their jobs at risk, but as a voter that is our right under the constitution.

#36 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 7,182 posts 555 rep

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:40 AM

"The Senate Judiciary Committee voted 6-2 Monday to endorse a controversial bill that would allow Arizona employers
the right to deny health insurance coverage for contraceptives based on religious objections.

Arizona House Bill 2625, authored by Majority Whip Debbie Lesko, R-Glendale, would permit employers to ask their
employees for proof of medical prescription if they seek contraceptives for non-reproductive purposes,
such as hormone control or acne treatment.

Glendale resident Liza Love said the bill would impose on women’s rights to keep their medical records private.
The Arizona president of Planned Parenthood, Bryan Howard said,
"The bill is part of the assault on women’s health care across the country.
This is an attack on women’s health care and their ability to make health care decisions for themselves
and their families according to their faith,”

“Taking away birth control is not a religious freedom. “It’s oppression.”
http://www.statepres...raceptive-bill/
http://healthcarefor...ona-state-bill/

#37 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 7,182 posts 555 rep

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:14 AM

And this *&^%&#$^ was running for president? How many millions of women would perry have been thrown under
the bus? He couldn't do it nationally, but he sure hurt a lot in Texas women with this. :ohmy: :wacko: :angry:

"The Department of Health and Human Services announced on Thursday that it will
cut off all Medicaid funding
for family planning to the state of Texas, following Gov. Rick Perry's ® decision to implement a new law that
excludes :angry: Planned Parenthood from the state's Medicaid Women's Health Program.
"We very much regret the state's decision to implement this rule, which will prevent women enrolled in the program from receiving services from the trusted health care providers they have chosen and relied upon for their care," Cindy Mann,
director of the Center for Medicaid and State Operations (CMSO), wrote.

The new law that went into effect earlier this month disqualified Planned Parenthood from participating in the
program because some of its clinics provide abortions, even though no state or federal money can be used to pay for those abortions."
http://www.huffingto...ref=mostpopular

#38 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 7,182 posts 555 rep

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:56 AM

Rather than listening to the millions of women of America, who have voiced our concerns/protests
about legislators passing laws that go too far; invading our privacy-Tennessee has taken it one step further.

Murderers have better protections than women in many of these states. :angry:

"The Life Defense Act of 2012, sponsored by state Rep. Matthew Hill (R-Jonesboro), mandates
that the Tennessee Department of Health make detailed demographic information about
every woman who has an abortion available to the public,
including her age, race, county, marital status, education level, number of children,
the location of the procedure and how many times she has been pregnant.
Each report would also have to include the name of the doctor who performed the procedure."

http://www.huffingto..._n_1363410.html

The gop in this country won't be happy until they force feed all women radioactive pellets, and just
the rich men will be left. :wacko:

#39 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

There has been a lot of grief against Planned Parenthood.  There has been controversy and people going against the Girl Scouts now because of their affiliation with Planned Parenthood.  I am not sure why people target a group that helps women.  From what I have read at one point, a woman had left Planned Parenthood after being a part of her very first abortion (which I am not for abortions myself, but I also am not going to tell a woman what to do) and she blasted the Girl Scouts saying they are pro-abortion and trying to get people against them.

My girls are girl scouts and it has been a great program for them.  They have done a lot to help a lot of various organizations.

#40 tigerlily78

tigerlily78

Activist

• Global Moderator
  • 250 posts 71 rep

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

View Postdconklin, on 21 March 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

I am not sure why people target a group that helps women.

I would say in the case of the partnerships between Girl Scouts of America and Planned Parenthood, it all comes down to (often fanatical) demonization of that organization based on misperceptions about what the organization does. There are clearly people out there that think Planned Parenthood is just an abortion mill and a source of birth control pills for "riff raff". For some people the whole world is only about social issues, which they can conveniently classify into "good" and "evil" and that Planned Parenthood provides abortions overshadows any other "good" they might do.

For those who are interested, here are some facts of the matter regarding services at PP:
In 2009, Planned Parenthood provided 4,009,549 contraceptive services (35% of total), 3,955,926 sexually transmitted disease services (35% of total), 1,830,811 cancer related services (16% of total), 1,178,369 pregnancy/prenatal/midlife services (10% of total), 332,278 abortion services (3% of total), and 76,977 other services (1% of total), for a total of 11,383,900 services.[35][7][37][38][39][40] The organization also said its doctors and nurses annually conduct 1 million screenings for cervical cancer and 830,000 breast exams.

So... over 70% of what PP does is help prevent pregnancies and screen for STDS, and reproductive cancers. Abortion only accounts for 3% of the services they provide each year.

I am sure there are some people who will flip their lid over seeing that they provided 332,278 abortions a year. To put this in perspective, American animal shelters put down 4 MILLION dogs and cats a year. (Oh but that's right, only unwanted children are precious... unwanted animals are vermin). :rolleyes:

I am a former Girl Scout myself... and in many ways I find that organization preferable to Boy Scouts of America. Girl Scouts has clearly taken less of an evangelical turn, and maintains a good deal of localization and inclusion (they accept lesbian girls and leaders without making an issue of it). Where as in Boy Scouts, anyone who is found to be gay or admits to being gay is automatically expelled from the program. I also find the Girl Scout approach to faith/reverence to be more inclusive... Boy Scouts of America pretty much requires that you accept "duty to God" under the assumption of a traditional deity... and most preferred of course is the Abrahamic God and Christ. Girl Scouts on the other hand has for quite awhile earnestly accepted girls of all faith and allows them to adapt the Scout Oath to their own beliefs, rather than trying to subject it's members to pledging to a certain kind of faith.

Interestingly enough, if you look at other "Boy Scout" programs internationally, not all programs include Reverence as part of the Scout Law, or if they do it is defined in many ways such as "belief in a higher power", "belief in a spiritual doctrine", or even "respect and appreciation for our natural world."  ^_^

Personally, I applaud Girl Scouts for partnering with Planned Parenthood to provide health education programs to young women, particularly since many parts of the country no longer offer purposeful sex education, but only abstinence only programs with a known propensity for increasing teen pregnancies and STDs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users