Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Earth Hour Saturday 31st March

6 replies to this topic

#1 aspen

aspen

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 220 posts 21 rep

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:40 PM

Earth Hour Get Involved

Are you aware this Saturday 31st of March is Earth Hour 2012.
Six years ago it started in Sydney Australia an idea of a then 15 year old.
The event is for the encouragement of a sustainable future.
This year the Great Wall of China, astronauts on the International Space Station and even Libya are some of the participants.
So Get involved and help our Planet. google Earth Hour
Will you be helping? Spread the word. (cut and paste)

#2 SpiroFlo

SpiroFlo

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 181 posts 12 rep

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

Isn't Earth Hour 24 times outshone by Earth Day? Oh wait, bad Earth Day, that's not efficient. ;)

#3 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

Earth Hour started with a good premise. To get people involved in the environmental movement.
But now, it's just an exercise in futility.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but turning off lights across the globe for an hour doesn't do squat.

Until we address our continued use of fossil fuels, in America, China and India-the biggest consumers
of coal-turning off a light doesn't add up to much.

And the koch brothers don't want that, so burn baby burn and drill baby drill is their rallying cry; and the
congress they bought and paid for.

#4 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

I already knew about that, a friend  of mine had told me about it yesterday. An hour of turning of lights is not enough to bring big change but letting people aware how they can contribute on their own little ways. It will be better if that awareness can be turned into a habit of conserving electricity not only for an hour and for a day but everyday. And must protect our earth from those who just treat resources on earth as their source of money just like big corporations.

#5 tigerlily78

tigerlily78

Activist

• Global Moderator
  • 250 posts 71 rep

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

Past years we have sat in our living room and played card or board games by LED lantern light. Some years we have even set up a tent in the living room to make it a little more novel and memorable for our son.

This year we happened to be camping, so during Earth Hour we were both out in the woods using no electricity except our headlamps. :smile:

#6 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

We set up a tent one year too! :smile:

Actually, we missed it this year. I just plain forgot. But, it doesn't really matter because we turn out all the lights and unplug all the electronics regularly for family game night. And mind you, my kids are 19 and 21 and we still do this because it's fun. Candles, lanterns, cards, board games... our favorite is Triopoly - Monopoly on 3 levels... We have many, many Earth hours all year round and I think that's more important. For the earth and for our family.

#7 saver

saver

Regular

• Shifter
  • 61 posts 2 rep

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

I think most people understand this is an awareness raising...stunt seem likes the wrong word, but that's what it is.

The downside is it's not very 'sexy' any more. It's not being reported, I forgot about it, and if I missed it, then most people would of as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users