Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Hard Waste Collection

hard waste collection

10 replies to this topic

#1 anEgrahm

anEgrahm

Curious

• Shifter
  • 23 posts 1 rep

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:06 PM

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering, how does your council deal with hard waste? My community has a collection once a year where over the course of about a month, they allocate a week each to several suburbs in order for their truck to go around collecting hard waste.

This includes all products like mattresses, refrigerators, any furniture, any toys and any kitchen appliances. They ask us to split this out in groups so they can deal with it themselves. Anything higher or larger than certain dimensions have to be taken to depots ourselves.

What does your council do?

#2 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:27 AM

The city here picks up that stuff about every other month or so. If neighbors complain in a certain area, it
can be picked up quicker.

#3 Pushhyarag2000

Pushhyarag2000

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 141 posts 5 rep

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:48 AM

I wonder all the councils here in India will ever get as proactive as that! Some councils in bigger cities have made sparse attempts but nothing very serious. It is left to the house holds to find ways of disposing of hard waste. Most actually get passed over to used/scrap dealers for nominal amounts who then reuse them for very poor after mending and fixing. Ultimately, it all gets probably dumped as broken down waste out of town areas. BAD.

#4 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:09 AM

There are some specific spot in the community where we could throw our garbage.
And it will be picked up everyday by the garbage truck as much as possible. It is because if its not, it will cause foul smell and some other bad problems.

#5 joeldgreat

joeldgreat

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 162 posts 6 rep

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

There are many laws that our council (local government) had passed over the years and one of then is recycling. It goes for a year or two but now its back to the old ways. The problem is the sustaining of the project and the budget for it. Recycling efforts eats up a lot of money and if there's no back-up by the national government, then it will die in natural cause.

#6 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:24 AM

St. Vincent DePaul, in California is an excellent organization.
They have been recycling mattresses for years, which we all know, take up a lot of space in landfills.
And they employ a lot of people to do the service.
http://www.svdp.us/w...ress-recycling/

#7 tri-n-b-helpful

tri-n-b-helpful

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

View PostanEgrahm, on 22 December 2011 - 06:06 PM, said:

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering, how does your council deal with hard waste? My community has a collection once a year where over the course of about a month, they allocate a week each to several suburbs in order for their truck to go around collecting hard waste.

This includes all products like mattresses, refrigerators, any furniture, any toys and any kitchen appliances. They ask us to split this out in groups so they can deal with it themselves. Anything higher or larger than certain dimensions have to be taken to depots ourselves.

What does your council do?

In this city, nearly every suburb has a different way of accomplishing hard waste collection. Mine offers one coupon a year to ratepayers to take it to the local dump for free themselves (normally $50-$100 per visit). The CBD has a system in place for kerbside collections four times a year. Many suburbs have a similar system operating, but spaced apart to collect once at different times of the year. Anyone who puts waste or "illegal" items out gets a fine, as does anyone putting their items out before the given hour. This looks terrible from a tourist's point of view, as all of a suburb's rubbish is on display. Another system on offer is the booking system. This operates on a "per household" basis where the owner is allowed to prepare a pile of the year's legitimate rubbish and call the company to collect it once a year. This seems to be a better way, but it's expensive to run and not the most environmentally friendly.

#8 rbaker_59

rbaker_59

Regular

• Shifter
  • 86 posts 3 rep

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:42 AM

Our council does not pick up that waste.  We have to haul it ourselves to a certain recycle center that is owned by the city.  They take it apart and recycle it into metals, for example.  We are forbidden to set it beside dumpsters, etc.  They will fine you for that.  It is supposed to be taken immediately to the recycle center.  We have a codes division that drives around the city looking for stuff like that to take action on residents who don't follow the city codes.

#9 kat74

kat74

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 154 posts 9 rep

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:02 AM

Well, I don't remember our council doing anything about hard waste, even the normal waste we have private companies collecting for a fee. I think our council is the worst in the word and all they do is collect fees and levy's from people.

#10 Usty

Usty

Curious

• Shifter
  • 46 posts 0 rep

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

Once a year.  It would be great if they started doing it every other month though. You usually have to drive everything to the landfill if you wnat it disposed of.

#11 katdolores

katdolores

Curious

• Shifter
  • 37 posts 1 rep

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

Our malls collect these kinds of wastes every Saturday. It is like their project for environmental protection. It is a good thing because the malls are more accessible than recycling shops and more people are made aware with the mall posters and advertisements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users