Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Ways to prevent lead poisoning

lead lead poisoning lead smelters

14 replies to this topic

#1 joeldgreat

joeldgreat

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 162 posts 6 rep

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:30 PM

Some of the tips I made on one of my article ( http://expertscolumn...-lead-poisoning )
  • Keep your home clean and free from dust. The best way to clean up lead dust is to regularly mop your floors wet, wipe windows ledges, and wash all surfaces with water and household detergent.
  • Take off your shoes before entering the house. Make sure they are wiped well on a doormat outside the house. This will help prevent lead dust and soil from getting into the house.
  • Change out some of work clothes and take a shower before coming home if you work with lead in your job. Lead dust brought home on the clothes of workers can spread in the house and poison children. Lead is used in many work places such as radiator repair shops, battery manufacturing plants, and lead smelters.
More to come.

#2 joeldgreat

joeldgreat

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 162 posts 6 rep

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:31 PM

to continue:
  • Never sand, burn, or scrape paint unless you know that it does not contain lead.
  • Test painted surfaces for lead in any area that they plan to remodel, before the work begins. If the work is not done the right way, lead dust can scatter and poison the family and even your pets.
  • Practice healthy eating habits. Healthy meals as a diet may take it harder for lead to harm you. Eat lots of fruits and vegetable as well as calcium-rich foods such as milk, cheese, yogurt, corn tortillas and iron-rich foods such as meat, chicken, iron-fortified cereals, raisins, and dried fruit.
  • Wash your hands often especially before eating.

#3 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:30 AM

Hand washing is really a must to avoid lead and other harmful material to affect us specially before eating.
And also avoid using products like food containers that could have lead and could combine on foods to be stored on. And avoid buying products like toys that can contains lead.

#4 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:21 PM

I was shocked just recently concerning lead. I bought a new string of Christmas tree lights from Rite-Aid a couple of weeks ago and, for some reason I read the box when I got home. I don't usually do that, they're Christmas lights, been using them for years - it's not like you need instructions for them. But, a warning in the bottom corner of the box, under the Made in China label, said that you should wash your hands after handling the cord because of lead exposure. Lead exposure? In Christmas lights? I had no idea. I took them back and got new ones elsewhere, but even though there's no warning on the box, that doesn't mean there isn't lead in them. Just when you think new household items aren't made with lead any more... you find out they are... :unsure: :sad:

#5 Pushhyarag2000

Pushhyarag2000

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 141 posts 5 rep

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:17 PM

I am happy that by way of sheer cultural habits, these are-I mean wiping the floor with wet cloth, removing shoes before entering into home, washing hands regularly etc are regular daily practices routinely. Awareness about buying & handling articles that may contain lead paints is also now fairly well spread. For example, people who were buying idols of Ganesha with strong and fast paint for annual ritual ow pick ones that are eco-friendly, made just of pure clay and no chemical paints.

#6 joeldgreat

joeldgreat

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 162 posts 6 rep

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:22 PM

Yeah, many products pouring in the markets are lead contaminated. Worst case is that these products are for children's use (toys, plastics, bags, sneakers, etc.etc.). Anything that has paint on it is contaminated with lead. There are only certain threshold that body body can tolerate the lead on it. But many manufacturer are only up to the profit.

#7 tri-n-b-helpful

tri-n-b-helpful

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

View Postjoeldgreat, on 19 December 2011 - 04:30 PM, said:

Some of the tips I made on one of my article ( http://expertscolumn...-lead-poisoning )
  • Keep your home clean and free from dust. The best way to clean up lead dust is to regularly mop your floors wet, wipe windows ledges, and wash all surfaces with water and household detergent.
  • Take off your shoes before entering the house. Make sure they are wiped well on a doormat outside the house. This will help prevent lead dust and soil from getting into the house.
  • Change out some of work clothes and take a shower before coming home if you work with lead in your job. Lead dust brought home on the clothes of workers can spread in the house and poison children. Lead is used in many work places such as radiator repair shops, battery manufacturing plants, and lead smelters.
More to come.

View Postjoeldgreat, on 19 December 2011 - 04:31 PM, said:

to continue:
  • Never sand, burn, or scrape paint unless you know that it does not contain lead.
  • Test painted surfaces for lead in any area that they plan to remodel, before the work begins. If the work is not done the right way, lead dust can scatter and poison the family and even your pets.
  • Practice healthy eating habits. Healthy meals as a diet may take it harder for lead to harm you. Eat lots of fruits and vegetable as well as calcium-rich foods such as milk, cheese, yogurt, corn tortillas and iron-rich foods such as meat, chicken, iron-fortified cereals, raisins, and dried fruit.
  • Wash your hands often especially before eating.

That's nice to know. I was tested for toxic metals about a year ago and they found I had over thirteen times the normal concentration of lead in me! I had no idea and no real symptoms of lead poisoning. It was probably more of a case of long-term exposure for me, being an electronic technician for the past nearly fifteen years. All I had to do was a liver cleanse. So if we keep a regular check-up and ask the doctor to test for these things specifically, they're not that difficult to treat, especially if we look after ourselves everyday and watch our diet.

#8 rbaker_59

rbaker_59

Regular

• Shifter
  • 86 posts 3 rep

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

This topic reminds of working in healthcare and being taught infection control techniques.  It made me more aware of easy things could be spread and what we could do to keep from spreading them.  Handwashing is the single most important technique.  Constantly washing your hands before and after everything you do may require a lot of lotion to keep the skin hydrated, but at the same time, it prevents a lot spreading of things to others.  It really shouldn't matter if you work in healthcare or not.  All societies need to learn more about the techniques to keep them and others more healthy.

#9 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:02 AM

"Why have funds for the CDC's Lead Poisoning Prevention Program just been cut 93 percent?
Coincidentally, a CDC advisory panel recommended in January that the threshold at which a child is deemed to
have lead poisoning should be cut in half, from 10 micrograms per deciliter of blood to 5.
CDC's funding for lead poisoning prevention -- down to $2 million this year from $29.2 million last year -- is primarily funneled to state health departments for childhood screening, education programs and data collection.
Another large chunk of money comes from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
This support for cities, counties and states to get lead hazards out of homes has also shrunk in recent years.

The use of lead in household paint peaked prior to 1950.
A final ban went into effect in 1978. Older, less well-maintained homes are therefore more risky.
Yet an estimated 38 million homes in the U.S. still have lead-based paint.
Consider a child who gets to third grade and can't meet reading scores.
Kids poisoned by lead are seven times more likely to drop out of school."
http://www.huffingto....html?ref=green

Similar-
http://www.altenergy...itive-for-lead/

#10 joeldgreat

joeldgreat

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 162 posts 6 rep

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

That's why many electronics manufacturers today are now shifting to Pb-Free (lead-free) products. The most famous solder alloy composition (tin-lead or SnPb)  used to solder almost all our electronic components is now being replaced by tin-silver-copper alloy which is more environmental friendly. I think the ban for the use of lead in electronics products had been a law for some countries.But implementation is taking so long now. Some had already shifted while others (like those in the automotive industry) were given exemptions.

#11 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

Very informative posts. Surviving with that much lead comcentration, tri-n-b, is astonishing. Glad you got a check-up. Christmas lights with lead warning, wow. Things that you don't know can hurt you. Cheers.

#12 steph84

steph84

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 265 posts 12 rep

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:49 PM

hanks for the tips! I am so scared that I have high levels of lead from all of those slides I went down as a kid. They were just made full of lead. Yikes! I now check all of my mugs and plates that I buy. Here in California, there is a sticker on all mugs that contain lead. I just wonder about mugs I bought in a yard sale some years back.

#13 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:20 AM

"In January, a CDC advisory panel recommended that the threshold at which a child is deemed to have lead poisoning
should be cut in half, from 10 micrograms per deciliter of blood to 5.
By accepting the panel's recommendation, the CDC now effectively increases the number of children under
age 6 with elevated blood lead levels from approximately 77,000 to 442,000.
An estimated 38 million homes in the U.S. still have lead-based paint, according to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

Funds for the CDC's Lead Poisoning Prevention Program have been cut by 93 percent --
down to $2 million this year from $29.2 million last year. "
Source

"Some of the cuts Republicans want to make so millionaires can get their money back --
$770 billion to Medicaid, $205 billion to Medicare, $1.6 trillion to the health care law,
and nearly $2 trillion to other mandatory cuts."
Source
Lead poisoning is the least of the gop concerns.

#14 SheforACT

SheforACT

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:42 PM

For children's safety always clean your kids' toys regularly, especially any teething toys or pacifiers.

#15 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:29 PM

Don't move to Flint, Michigan.
Or to over 30 other cities in USA with lead in their drinking water.
http://www.esquire.c...isis-33-cities/

And let's not forget that #DonTheCon wants to eliminate the EPA completely.

http://www.cnn.com/2...-water-systems/

10 worst according to this site-
https://santevia.com...drinking-water/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users