Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Nuts to you.

17 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:25 AM

Except if you like walnuts. :blink:
http://www.scienceda...11129103312.htm

#2 gina

gina

Regular

• 62 posts 2 rep

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:21 PM

I LOVE walnuts! :(

In California, more than 500,000 tons of walnuts were sold for more than $1 billion in 2010, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Wow had no clue it was that much.

#3 omkar1991

omkar1991

Regular

• Shifter
  • 94 posts 6 rep

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:01 PM

I am not too fond of walnuts, but quite often walnut wood is used to make guitar bodies and necks, and sometimes fretboards too.

#4 KeenGreen

KeenGreen

• Shifter
  • 9 posts 0 rep

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:03 PM

Walnuts are my nut of choice because they're healthy and usually pretty cheap.  But I have noticed the prices climbing in recent years.  I put it off to the recession, but if the trees are suffering climate threats, I suppose that could be an explanation, too.  I hope i don't have to find a new favorite tree nut.

#5 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:19 PM

That's alarming. Walnuts are really good for you - just a small handful a day can lower your cholesterol levels and help prevent heart disease. It is encouraging, however, that the direst predictions haven't yet come true and they are still studying whether or not walnut trees are adapting or capable of adapting to climate changes. They may end up producing a new hybrid tree. While it would be a shame to lose our heritage trees it would be good to find trees that are hardier.

#6 omkar1991

omkar1991

Regular

• Shifter
  • 94 posts 6 rep

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:43 AM

View Postmariaandrea, on 04 December 2011 - 11:19 PM, said:

That's alarming. Walnuts are really good for you - just a small handful a day can lower your cholesterol levels and help prevent heart disease.
My mom always says that in a bid to persuade me to eat some everyday. But of course, that doesn't really help. :tongue:

#7 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:04 AM

"Expect to pay more for a jar of peanut butter and that pecan pie for Thanksgiving, thanks to drought in parts
of the South and, in the case of pecans, a big demand from China.

Some of the nation's biggest producers of peanut butter are bumping up prices as they react to one of the worst peanut crops in decades, one that has been exacerbated by extreme weather and a decline in planting.

J.M. Smucker Co., which makes Jif, is raising prices by 30 percent.
Kraft raised the price of Planters peanut butter by 40 percent, and the price of its Peter Pan brand rose 20 percent recently.

Droughts in Texas and Georgia caused prices for a ton of runner peanuts, commonly used to make peanut butter,
to hit nearly $1,200 per ton this month, said Tiffany Arthur, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
That is up from $515 per ton at this time last year.

Drought dramatically reduced the pecan crop in many of those states this year.
Production in Texas, which has had a record drought, dropped the most, from 70 million pounds last year to an estimated
40 million pounds this year.
In Louisiana, production plunged from 20 million pounds last year to an estimated 9 million pounds this year."
http://www2.timesdis...ric-ar-1445270/

(This is an older statement (2006) but it speaks to the larger insect population eating the peanut crops
and the drought conditions causing a rise in the selling price.)

http://www.caes.uga...._main&PK_ID=536

#8 tinkerbulilit

tinkerbulilit

Curious

• Shifter
  • 19 posts 0 rep

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:24 AM

I love almonds, and walnuts too. I am basically someone who enjoys snacking on nuts. But now I think I might just cool down a bit. :blink:

#9 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:13 AM

I had tasted walnut spread and some chocolates with walnut and I really love it.
I do love to eat nuts in general and it was really good thing to know that they are healthy foods. I just hope prices would become more affordable so that we could have it more on a often basis.

#10 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:01 PM

View Postzararina, on 05 December 2011 - 07:13 AM, said:

I had tasted walnut spread and some chocolates with walnut and I really love it.
I do love to eat nuts in general and it was really good thing to know that they are healthy foods. I just hope prices would become more affordable so that we could have it more on a often basis.
E-mail the coal producers. Maybe they'll shut down a plant or two? :blink:

#11 kathie_san

kathie_san

Regular

• Shifter
  • 99 posts 5 rep

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:39 AM

I like walnuts mixed in chocolates or whole nut. I've never seen a walnut tree ever because it does not grow here in my country, I think it won't be able to stand the climate in a tropical weather.

#12 makeitmom

makeitmom

Curious

• Shifter
  • 45 posts 2 rep

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:11 AM

I like walnuts, but it's not my nut of choice. Give me almonds (anyway I can get them), pecans (they have a less dense texture than walnuts without the slight bitterness), and hazel nuts...yum!

#13 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:12 AM

View Postmakeitmom, on 28 December 2011 - 02:11 AM, said:

I like walnuts, but it's not my nut of choice. Give me almonds (anyway I can get them), pecans (they have a less dense texture than walnuts without the slight bitterness), and hazel nuts...yum!
Most, if not all nut trees are at risk from the continuing drought. Grasshoppers,(for instance)
and other insects are prone to stressed trees; weakening them or killing them completely.
(From an older article)-
http://www.noble.org...e/Grasshoppers/

And with the disappearing bee population, pollination is an issue of all nut trees.
http://www.cosmosmag...e.com/node/1087

From PBS-the silence of the bees.
http://video.pbs.org/video/995224587

#14 makeitmom

makeitmom

Curious

• Shifter
  • 45 posts 2 rep

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:04 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 28 December 2011 - 04:12 AM, said:

Most, if not all nut trees are at risk from the continuing drought. Grasshoppers,(for instance)
and other insects are prone to stressed trees; weakening them or killing them completely.
(From an older article)-
http://www.noble.org...e/Grasshoppers/

Some farmers grow walnuts and pecans here in North Carolina, and though we were in drought a few years back, with a little cultivation and care, we muddled through it.

About a month ago I pick a good bussel of pecans, so where theres a will theres a way :)

#15 Alli

Alli

Regular

• Shifter
  • 98 posts 8 rep

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:35 PM

Nuts are so healthy and delicious! I definitely see the rising prices coming, though. China has a voracious appetite for nuts and loads of other things. Nuts will not be the only thing that goes up in price as China becomes more affluent.

#16 msterees

msterees

Regular

• Shifter
  • 51 posts 4 rep

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

Walnut trees take a very long time to grow and produce. If there is a limited crop, it could take two or three decades for us to increase production. That's too bad because nuts are really delicious and good for you as well.

#17 JBMedia

JBMedia

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 104 posts 3 rep

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

That is absolutely ridiculous. Walnuts and pecans are probably the top choices of my nuts, followed by pistachios and almonds. However, there's always more to think about.

#18 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:16 AM

View PostJBMedia, on 01 January 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

That is absolutely ridiculous.
What's ridiculous?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users