Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Smoking Cigarette Causes More Air Pollution than Diesel Exhaust? Agree or Disagree?

26 replies to this topic

#1 char4u

char4u

• Shifter
  • 7 posts 1 rep

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

I have read so many articles explaining that smoking cigarette is worst than diesel exhaust. It also at risk for peoples health. But why do people still keeps smoking and the other governments still allow it and did not have another ordinance or law for a smoke-free country if this is real? I have seen also so many vehicle in my country having such a very dark air which came from their vehicle which I don't know if it's because of the diesel or it's because of the car problem.

#2 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:14 PM

Cigarettes are bad for ones health, and those around them but
coal, cars, cattle and deforestation are the 4 mains contributors to Co-2 emissions. Cigs are probably way down the list.

#3 Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 329 posts 34 rep

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

I think people lay a lot at the door of cigarettes because there are so many chemicals in them, but most of the harm is done internally, to the people who are smoking. However, when there are a lot of people smoking in a confined space, then it is more than likely that the atmosphere there will be polluted.

#4 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:06 PM

Air pollution is so full of other things, as others have noted, so cigarette pollution is not such a pollutant, except in enclosed places. But cigarettes will lead to a polluted body, cancers of all sorts. A friend of mine's father, stopped smoking and 40 years later, he developed throat cancer. My father and brother-in-law died from smoking related illnesses. It is a horrible death. The cigarette companies have strong lobbyists and know how to effectively market. They probably give samples to young people, knowing that if you start at a young age, you will smoke for a long time. Nicotine is a strong drug and they fill the cigarettes with it.

#5 Guest_arboramans_*

Guest_arboramans_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

Traditional Tobacco Use:
  • When tobacco is offered to the earth and fire, it is held in the hand and not smoked. Some sacred pipes are smoked but not all pipes contain tobacco.
  • Some tribes don’t use tobacco at all and some will use a blend of tobacco and other herbs.
  • Traditional tobacco teaches you discipline.
  • You learn respect for the creator and all creation.
  • You have a better understanding for your Indian culture.
  • Traditional tobacco is free of chemicals and poisons.
  • You gain spiritual development towards being a good person.
  • You use it to pray with and is considered a Medicine for one’s health and well being.
  • It is used less than once a month. There is no risk of cancer when used this way.

#6 MakingCents

MakingCents

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 335 posts 23 rep

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

I don't think cigarettes contribute to the earths pollution necessarily but they are certainly toxic to the air that we breathe.

#7 steph84

steph84

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 265 posts 12 rep

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

I think one of the man reasons that it is worse than diesel exhaust is because of the close proximity people are to smokers than to diesel exhaust. People are always around smokers in the public and not so much exhaust for lengthy periods of time.

#8 joeldgreat

joeldgreat

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 162 posts 6 rep

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

View Postchar4u, on 29 November 2011 - 03:05 PM, said:

But why do people still keeps smoking and the other governments still allow it and did not have another ordinance or law for a smoke-free country if this is real?

I would like to give my point of view for this question.

Taxes imposed on cigarette industries are way higher and bigger than a common businesses. That means more revenue for the government and more money to spent on different government projects. If a certain government will ban the selling of tobacco on thier country, then that government is really is economically stable one and can really support its people from taxes coming from other sources. To add more, cigarette industry is a billion dollar generating business, therefore, they will do everything to keep the business rolling. Any form of supression against these industries will really need everybody's cooperation.

#9 MakingCents

MakingCents

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 335 posts 23 rep

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

Joel hit the nail on the head.  The Tobacco inudstry is HUGE money and no matter what they increase the tax to on cigarettes people will pay it.  The government needs tobacco to make money.

#10 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

Smoking might not be one of the main contributors of air pollution but definitely it should be lessen a lot if it can not be totally banished. It causes not only air pollution but diseases not only to smokers since there is a second hand smoke. It was never good to anyone's health.

#11 Ansem

Ansem

Regular

• Shifter
  • 91 posts 5 rep

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

It won't have much of a difference but it's still there, same as "How much would the sea level drop if we get all ships in the world out of the ocean at the same time".

#12 Guest_arboramans_*

Guest_arboramans_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

You don't need to make generalised statements. Do some research and do the math. You can quantify almost anything these days - so no need to be less than accurate.

#13 MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 149 posts 3 rep

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

I don't think any county will issue ever any smoke-free law that enforce cigarette and tobacco avoidance because that will be as much as a call to war.

Free thinking is similar to free speech and people can only be warned about the risks of smoking, but it's the individual's choice take it or leave it.

However, what is absolutely possible is promote a non-smoking culture and create more and more smoke-free areas in buildings, establishments and public venues. In fact some of them are strictly no-smoking places, but I doubt ever exists a smoke-free country.

As a possible solution to make such dream coming true is gathering a non-smokers together to buy one of those islands that is available for sale.

#14 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

The older diesel had worse emissions then before but you can only buy the cleaner diesel now.  I really do not think that diesel or cigs are much of the reason for poor air quality.  Yes diesel is potent, but you have to be inhaling it from either standing directly in the smoke or by being in a garage with the door closed.  Quite honestly a gas engine would do the same thing too.  Yes diesel runs a little dirtier but I don't know how much.  For years your car or truck didn't have to take an emissions test if it was diesel.  
The new diesel runs cleaner and does perform differently.  
Cigs are horrible and I am a smoker.  It is a tough battle with cigs, yes it can be toxic to others but many studies also claim that there is no evidence to people getting sick from exposure to second hand smoke.  I am sure if you are a non smoker living with a smoker, you would see effects, but being in public with people smoking around you is not going to cause any health problems.  I agree with the non smoking in buildings, I respect non-smokers and their smart choice to be smoke free.  I also do not smoke in my house-I wouldn't do that to my kids.
But then again they also cannot prove that many cancers were actually caused by smoking tho they think they were.  Too big of a battle with cigs, too many I don't knows.  If you are a smoker, respect your non-smoking citizens.  I doubt it is really putting any bit of a toll on the environment.  Quit if you can, it does cause health problems even when they claim they can't guarantee that smoking causes certain cancers.

#15 CryoMage

CryoMage

Curious

• Shifter
  • 16 posts 2 rep

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:51 AM

I honestly don't think cigarettes contribute that much to the air pollution. Smoking harms the user more than anyone else, and the emissions from a lit cigarette are like a lit twig, the carbon dioxide probably gets used up by plants before it even leaves the height of your local skyscraper.

#16 Ansem

Ansem

Regular

• Shifter
  • 91 posts 5 rep

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

View PostCryoMage, on 13 March 2012 - 06:51 AM, said:

I honestly don't think cigarettes contribute that much to the air pollution. Smoking harms the user more than anyone else, and the emissions from a lit cigarette are like a lit twig, the carbon dioxide probably gets used up by plants before it even leaves the height of your local skyscraper.
You could say that, but also look at this:
The percentage of people with cars is huge, average income families have two.
Then, outside of that, people who are not driving are certainly in the smokers group ( teens for example )  and you smoke all day, you don't drive all day.

If anyone is interested in doing this theoritically,
Calculate how much an average person emidst by smoking a week, do the same for an average week of driving.
Then add them to the % of the population of the world or a specific country/region who smoke and same with driving.

Then you'll have a good answer, right now it's all sceptical.

#17 hunysukle

hunysukle

Curious

• Shifter
  • 42 posts 1 rep

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

Although I despise cigarettes and think they should be banned, I don't think they cause more air pollution than vehicle exhaust. Air pollution from factories and transportation is significantly worse I think.

#18 kat74

kat74

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 154 posts 9 rep

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

I never thought that smoking can cause more environmental harm than cars, I find it hard to believe and so I will do more research on the topic.

#19 katdolores

katdolores

Curious

• Shifter
  • 37 posts 1 rep

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:26 AM

People are saying that cigarette smoking don't do much harm because they compare it to cars according to its size. I think that if the whole cigarette smoking community alive in the world would be have a "smoking day" and smoke at the same time, that would be equivalent to A LOT of pollutant smoke that goes up in the air. Just because a cigarette is smaller than a car's exhaust doesn't mean it doesn't have the ability to do as much damage. This is just my opinion. Of course, I haven't done studies on it, but if you look at the larger picture, I think cigarette smoking can do a great deal of damage that many people cannot comprehend.

#20 Ansem

Ansem

Regular

• Shifter
  • 91 posts 5 rep

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:17 AM

View Postkatdolores, on 05 April 2012 - 03:26 AM, said:

People are saying that cigarette smoking don't do much harm because they compare it to cars according to its size. I think that if the whole cigarette smoking community alive in the world would be have a "smoking day" and smoke at the same time, that would be equivalent to A LOT of pollutant smoke that goes up in the air. Just because a cigarette is smaller than a car's exhaust doesn't mean it doesn't have the ability to do as much damage. This is just my opinion. Of course, I haven't done studies on it, but if you look at the larger picture, I think cigarette smoking can do a great deal of damage that many people cannot comprehend.
You just blew my mind.
Thanks for saying what was in my head but what I couldn't say in words.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users