Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Swapping!

13 replies to this topic

#1 steph84

steph84

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 265 posts 12 rep

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

Hi everyone! I just wanted to share one of my favorite sites: swap.com with the forum. You list old stuff that you don't want (like DVDs, Cds, and books) and create a list of things that you do want and the program will figure out a way you can trade your old stuff for things that you do want. You just pay for shipping or you can meet up with people in your area to swap goods. I've used it to trade books for video games and it is pretty amazing instead of having my stuff end up in a landfill. Check it out!

#2 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:44 AM

That was nice.;)
We also have a swapping site here in our country although I have not tried using that site. I had experienced swapping a cellphone before.

#3 nizamnrgz

nizamnrgz

• Shifter
  • 6 posts 0 rep

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:58 AM

Is it for worldwide or only for US people?

#4 steph84

steph84

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 265 posts 12 rep

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

I think some swaps can be made in Canada. I haven't checked out the site in a few months and they have upgraded a bit. I would love an international swap, but I don't know how green all of that shipping would be.

#5 Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 329 posts 34 rep

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:40 AM

Many shops and market stalls operate book exchanges here. Basically, you trade in a book and pay 1 Euro to choose a new one. A group of us get together and pass the books around, so the last person to read it changes it and pays for the new one. It's a great way to cut down on waste and also save money.

#6 aphil

aphil

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 100 posts 10 rep

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:30 AM

It is a good concept that takes away the stress of money. It is a way we help one another in these tough economic times I do swaps here and I am interested in checking out the online site.

#7 btatro

btatro

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 104 posts 1 rep

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

Nice, I never knew about the swapping. I know about free cycle, and also post free things on my local Craiglist, but this might be nice if I am also looking for something in particular and have something else to trade for it. Thanks!

#8 dziomek

dziomek

Regular

• Shifter
  • 54 posts 1 rep

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:36 AM

That is a good concept, provided you have your own "wish list". Personally I am trying to get rid of clutter, not trade one piece of clutter for another. :) As for trading books I am a book hoarder and do not want to part with any of them, no matter the genre. I plan on having my own library one day and will need a large selection of books. I have a good start, so why would I want to get rid of them?

Seriously though, it is a great idea for anyone needing something in particular and not having the funding to buy it outright. :)

#9 MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 149 posts 3 rep

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:30 PM

I was browsing swap.com and sounds an interesting place, but wondering how sustainable is swapping stuff with someone who lives elsewhere, considering all the packing and delivery process when one of the parties is in one place and the other in the opposite side of the world.

#10 Hardison

Hardison

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 446 posts 37 rep

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:55 PM

What a great concept! There are a lot of great items on the site. I have a lot of books that I wouldn't mind swapping. Packing and shipping is a concern especially for the larger items. I also saw a lot of guns on the site. It looks like you can browse for stuff locally too.

#11 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

What a great idea, to recycle stuff and give it to people who will get some use out of the things. As well as getting some things you want.  Thanks for the share.

#12 steph84

steph84

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 265 posts 12 rep

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

Great point, MyDigitalpoint! I know that you can swap locally and search for people to trade with near you. I have met up with a few people for some coffee and swapping. It was fun! I got to meet a new person and get free stuff.

#13 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:09 AM

More ideas here too for any that may have missed it- :biggrin:
http://www.altenergy...-share-or-rent/

#14 steph84

steph84

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 265 posts 12 rep

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for posting the link ShortPoet. It also addresses bartering. I haven't personally bartered for goods online, but I think it is such an interesting concept and I am surprised that more people don't do with access to so many people on the web.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users