Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

The Nature Conservancy

25 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:19 PM

This qualifies under "service" as they are doing a great job with their service to our planet.

"We're working with you to make a positive impact around the world in more than 30 countries, all 50 United States and your backyard.
Take Action

#2 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:12 PM

I love this organization. They do good work on a scale we can't do individually. Thanks for the reminder about them. I've been a member in past years. It's especially good timing with the holidays coming up because they have some cool things in their shop and the money you spend helps support their work. I've been looking at a wireless weather station they have that I really want.

http://shop.nature.o...orecast-station

#3 gangandealer

gangandealer

Regular

• Shifter
  • 58 posts 2 rep

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:04 PM

It's great how they are doing their plant a billion trees. That is kind of debatable because we are  not sure if they are planting trees.

#4 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:19 AM

View Postgangandealer, on 17 November 2011 - 09:04 PM, said:

It's great how they are doing their plant a billion trees. That is kind of debatable because we are  not sure if they are planting trees.
"Our strong performance is reflected in the fact that The Nature Conservancy is highly rated by charity watchdog organizations:
  • The Nature Conservancy's strong performance is recognized by Charity Navigator as exceeding industry standards.
  • The Nature Conservancy meets all of the Better Business Bureau (BBB) Wise Giving Alliance Standards for Charity Accountability.
  • The Nature Conservancy rates as one of the most trusted organization in a recent poll by Harris Interactive®.
  • The American Institute of Philanthropy has awarded The Nature Conservancy an "A-" rating.
  • Forbes magazine rated The Nature Conservancy's fundraising efficiency at 86% in its annual survey of the largest U.S. charities.
  • The Nature Conservancy is applying for accreditation from the Land Trust Accreditation Commission which recognizes organizations that meet national quality standards for protecting important natural places and working lands.

• The Nature Conservancy is one of the most effective and efficient environmental organizations in the world.
    Building on nearly six decades of experience, we've protected more than 119 million acres of land and 5,000 river miles — and we operate more than 100 marine conservation projects globally.
    We are able to accomplish so much because we make careful use of our resources, with 76% of our funding going directly toward our science-driven program work. Charity Navigator and the Better Business Bureau applaud program efficiencies above 66%, meaning you can be confident that any investment in The Nature Conservancy will be put to good use."

• http://www.nature.or...ility/index.htm

• Scrutinized for over 60 years, imo, they can be trusted.

#5 gangandealer

gangandealer

Regular

• Shifter
  • 58 posts 2 rep

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:47 AM

But sometimes I wonder if the money that we donate actually end up going to charities and in actually helping the world.

#6 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:46 PM

View Postgangandealer, on 18 November 2011 - 05:47 AM, said:

But sometimes I wonder if the money that we donate actually end up going to charities and in actually helping the world.
Easy fix; if you don't trust the nature conservancy, that has a proven track record of
over 60 years, plant your own trees. Simple.

#7 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:24 PM

Charity Navigator is the way to find out. You can type in any charity and see a detailed report on how much money they bring in with fundraisers and so forth, see how much they spend on administration, how much goes to their actual programs, and more. The whole point of Charity Navigator is to act as a watchdog so people can make informed decisions about where to place their charity dollars. They give grades to charities. It's an awesome way to find worthwhile groups that do a great job with putting they money they get back into the world.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

The Nature Conservancy does fairly well but you can also compare similar environmental charities on the site - they have a tool for that - and donate to the ones you think do the best job.

#8 sbjc

sbjc

Curious

• Shifter
  • 29 posts 0 rep

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:39 AM

But sometimes I wonder if the money that we donate actually end up going to charities and in actually helping the world
I am also doubtful sometimes regarding to the money donations. We are not one hundred percent sure that the money we donate will go directly to  where it is intended to be.

#9 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:24 AM

View Postsbjc, on 22 November 2011 - 01:39 AM, said:

I am also doubtful sometimes regarding to the money donations. We are not one hundred percent sure that the money we donate will go directly to  where it is intended to be.
You don't have to donate to support their causes, our causes. Use it as an informational site. :biggrin:

#10 Ecodisaster

Ecodisaster

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 106 posts 9 rep

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:14 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 22 November 2011 - 03:24 AM, said:

You don't have to donate to support their causes, our causes. Use it as an informational site. :biggrin:

Agree. In my opinion the best way is to do it yourself 99% of the time. But I know that there are good organizations out there that do it for love and honesty, you just need a bit of research before you donate, that should do.

#11 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:08 AM

Vote for the best photo, (til December) or if it's past the deadline, just check out some nice pix of nature. :biggrin:
http://my.nature.org/photography/

#12 jasserEnv

jasserEnv

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 406 posts 45 rep

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:05 AM

The thing that I like about the Nature Conservancy is their integrity. I have donated before and wanted land saved in certain areas. Their response was telling in that they said they too valued the area in question but that the political forces in that area prevented land from being protected. As a consequence, they stated that they couldn't make claims that they would be able to protect any land in that area. They even suggested adding me to a specific mailing list that simply makes people aware of new areas of land that they are working to protect.

#13 Wallie0912

Wallie0912

Curious

• Shifter
  • 19 posts 2 rep

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:37 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 25 November 2011 - 09:08 AM, said:

Vote for the best photo, (til December) or if it's past the deadline, just check out some nice pix of nature. :biggrin:
http://my.nature.org/photography/

Which one is yours?

#14 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:21 PM

View PostWallie0912, on 05 December 2011 - 12:37 PM, said:

Which one is yours?
None of them. I don't have a digital camera and wouldn't know how to upload it if I did. :blush:

#15 Wallie0912

Wallie0912

Curious

• Shifter
  • 19 posts 2 rep

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:16 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 05 December 2011 - 03:21 PM, said:

None of them. I don't have a digital camera and wouldn't know how to upload it if I did. :blush:

Oops.  I misread your original post. Sorry.

#16 rbaker_59

rbaker_59

Regular

• Shifter
  • 86 posts 3 rep

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

I really appreciate organizations like this and this blog, for that matter.  I have learned a lot and am sure there is more to learn.  I am looking for more ways to help the part of the planet where I live.

#17 Hysssss-teria

Hysssss-teria

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 99 posts 19 rep

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

I absolutely adore the Nature Conservancy and the incredible work that they do for our planet. After researching them carefully about five years ago, I began donating to them on a regular basis.

I think that if I had to cite one single thing that they do that won me over is the fact that they actually buy lands outright to prevent them from being developed and/or otherwise ruined.

That organization holds a particularly soft spot in my heart. Their efforts have resulted in preserving the delicate wetlands and wilderness of the entire Connecticut River Valley. The Nature Conservancy prevented the region from being completely decimated.

#18 rbaker_59

rbaker_59

Regular

• Shifter
  • 86 posts 3 rep

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

This is a wonderful organization.  We do need more of them around to make a bigger effort to preserve the lands and planet to make life on earth the way it was intended to be to start off with.  I am all for an organization that teaches the conservation and actually has a proven track record for doing things for the planet.  I would support them, but a person can even take their teaching and do the same things in their own neighborhood.

#19 Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 329 posts 34 rep

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:21 AM

I just took a look at the site, and I'm really impressed with it. They seem really committed to their task, and I like that they use money to buy threatened land - that's what you call putting your money where your mouth is. Also, they're a long established organisation, so you can't accuse them of jumping on the 'green' bandwagon. That says a lot about their sincerity. Thanks for the link - I've bookmarked it for future reference.

#20 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

The very name Nature Conservancy, is a positive influence in essence. Long may they survive. We need these kinds of organizations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users