Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

11 Cool Ways You Can Use Coffee at Home

39 replies to this topic

#1 Hayden

Hayden

Admin

• Global Moderator
  • 1,489 posts 72 rep

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:25 PM

The cool thing about this list is that you can use the coffee leftovers... grounds. Lets get started!
  • Cleaning pots and pans - Simply use a handful of coffee grounds.
  • Use as a deodorizer - Place grounds in a jar or dish which absorbs refrigerators odors.
  • Place a small amount of grounds in your ashtrays to reduce the smell of cigarette butts.
  • Rub on hands to remove smell of onions, fish,  etc.
  • Clean old food off of dishes.
  • Scrub your barbecue grill.
  • Natural roach control - Place dried grounds in a glass jar against a wall. There's no way out for them.
  • Cover up furniture scratches - Dab coffee onto the scratches for darker woods.
  • Coffee grounds are an excellent nutritional addition to compost.
  • Place grounds into your compost.
  • Lastly you can use coffee grounds as a facial and/or body scrub.
Try some of these and add your own below

#2 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:53 PM

Nifty! I drink lots of coffee, hence lots of coffee grounds! I didn't know they absorb odors. I'm going to try some of those.

One thing I've done - I was given a basil plant this summer that was mostly dead, with woody stems and just a few good leaves left. I snipped off the dead parts, poured coffee grounds into the pot and put it out in the sun. I now have a full, bushy plant full of leaves. Kind of a miracle.

#3 Hayden

Hayden

Admin

• Global Moderator
  • 1,489 posts 72 rep

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:27 AM

Thanks for confirming the compost. I was sceptical about that. Godd to know it IS good for plants.

#4 sunny

sunny

Curious

• Shifter
  • 22 posts 2 rep

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:16 AM

Very interesting! Thank you for your helpful tips !

#5 kathie_san

kathie_san

Regular

• Shifter
  • 99 posts 5 rep

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:58 AM

This is what I've been looking for! Thanks for sharing. I have a pack of expired coffee granules and since I don't want to throw it away I've been seeking for alternative ways to still put them into use. I'll try these things on the list. :D

#6 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:11 AM

I am not aware of almost all of those use of coffee grounds and nice to learn new things. I just knew this one as I am reading some spas offering this service "Lastly you can use coffee grounds as a facial and/or body scrub".

#7 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:41 PM

What a great list of things, that you can do with coffee grounds, thank you so much. I did read somewhere that they can also be used, in a moist state,  as a rub, to reduce cellulite.

#8 Jabsfreelanceworld

Jabsfreelanceworld

Curious

• Shifter
  • 38 posts 1 rep

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:30 PM

View PostHayden, on 30 October 2011 - 10:25 PM, said:

The cool thing about this list is that you can use the coffee leftovers... grounds. Lets get started!
  • Cleaning pots and pans - Simply use a handful of coffee grounds.
  • Use as a deodorizer - Place grounds in a jar or dish which absorbs refrigerators odors.
  • Place a small amount of grounds in your ashtrays to reduce the smell of cigarette butts.
  • Rub on hands to remove smell of onions, fish,  etc.
  • Clean old food off of dishes.
  • Scrub your barbecue grill.
  • Natural roach control - Place dried grounds in a glass jar against a wall. There's no way out for them.
  • Cover up furniture scratches - Dab coffee onto the scratches for darker woods.
  • Coffee grounds are an excellent nutritional addition to compost.
  • Place grounds into your compost.
  • Lastly you can use coffee grounds as a facial and/or body scrub.
Try some of these and add your own below.

Click here to view the article

I like these ideas you have posted. It reminds me of an article I had to write for a client. It was actually an entire recipe and instruction on how to make coffee into fuel pellets or fuel logs. I guess some ingredients included wax to help hold the coffee grounds together, and a few other supporting agents.

Of course, I think part of the process was about sanitizing the grounds and so on. It was very interesting and maybe sometime I can find some link to it as I probably kept the reference link my client gave me for the assignment. I learned more from that projects than others I've done. It was very eye-opening and I drink coffee every day, so it wouldn't take me long to save up the goods! <_< I also might want to try using coffee as an exfoliation agent.

#9 kristyleann

kristyleann

Curious

• Shifter
  • 10 posts 0 rep

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:22 PM

Wow, these are pretty good tips. I had no idea you could use coffee as a facial scrub...I'll have to try that sometime. Probably a lot cheaper than going out and buying some hyped up facial scrub at the beauty store lol

#10 godarna

godarna

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 104 posts 14 rep

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:01 AM

Good to know that coffee grounds can be used for roach control. Those creatures form a really unwelcome part of the Mauritian population. I will try it out.

#11 Germs

Germs

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 139 posts 1 rep

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:47 AM

I've been using coffee in my fridge to help to odor of some strong smelling foods, but i wasn't aware of the other uses.

The most helpful one for me will be covering up the scratches on various wooden surfaces around my house, I've been pretty careless and there are some nasty scratches on my furniture and floors, thanks for the tips.

#12 kathie_san

kathie_san

Regular

• Shifter
  • 99 posts 5 rep

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:55 AM

View Postgodarna, on 01 November 2011 - 01:01 AM, said:

Good to know that coffee grounds can be used for roach control. Those creatures form a really unwelcome part of the Mauritian population. I will try it out.

Agreed! I have been seeing one or two roaches roaming around the house a couple of weeks ago yikes! and I haven't been able to catch them, will try using coffee to drive them away! They are just so disgusting!

#13 Lee11

Lee11

Curious

• Shifter
  • 15 posts 3 rep

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:30 AM

Thank you for this helpful post. I will share something I heard from a few German girls when I was staying with them in a home-share in Sydney many years ago. Apparently, a couple of them literally made an enema with coffee. They used it to cleanse themselves every few weeks or so. I have never used an enema myself (not yet) but hey...I remain open to possibilities. You can research it but they were real believers.

They shared that with me because I was actively detoxing at that point and everyone was questioning why one of them kept on disappearing into the bathroom with a bottle of black coffee...

#14 wneely

wneely

Curious

• Shifter
  • 19 posts 3 rep

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:00 AM

Another way we use coffee grounds is to cover the scent of food products in the trash.  I use a plastic shopping bag to put chicken bones in and put coffee grounds in with it.  Then I tie it up and put it in the bin.  Hiding the scent with grounds is a great way to keep animals from digging into the trash.

We have a dog to take care of pork and beef bones though, so those don't even see a bin.  ;)

#15 jasserEnv

jasserEnv

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 406 posts 45 rep

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:38 PM

Right now, corn particles are used as a form of commercial abrasive. Coffee grounds could likely fit this role as well. It would be interesting to see just how well they could be used for this job. Imagine if we could cut back on corn production somewhat by using these used grounds for this purpose. It would be a form of recycling.

#16 Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Regular

• Shifter
  • 52 posts 0 rep

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:57 PM

Huh, and all this time I've just been soaking them in boiling water and drinking it.

#17 wneely

wneely

Curious

• Shifter
  • 19 posts 3 rep

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:11 PM

Another thing you can do with coffee grounds is rinse them down the sink about twice a month.  They will scour the sides of the pipes and help keep them from clogging.

As a side note, if your pipes do get clogged, mix some baking soda with hot water and pour it down the drain, followed by white vinegar.  If that doesn't clear it up a snake will have to be used.

#18 Mon-Jes

Mon-Jes

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 168 posts 12 rep

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:33 PM

View PostTom Servo, on 01 November 2011 - 03:57 PM, said:

Huh, and all this time I've just been soaking them in boiling water and drinking it.

:D

About using them to cover cigarette smells (as my smoky downstairs neighbor comes home, yuck, saving money to move), do they have to be used grounds, or can I pour some unbrewed instant coffee granules in a tray or something? I don't drink coffee, so I don't have a grinder.

#19 Usty

Usty

Curious

• Shifter
  • 46 posts 0 rep

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:13 AM

Add coffee grounds to some paper towel, and place it in your sneakers to deodorize them.Rub coffee grounds in your hair before washing to add extra shine.

#20 jasserEnv

jasserEnv

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 406 posts 45 rep

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:42 PM

View PostUsty, on 05 November 2011 - 10:13 AM, said:

Add coffee grounds to some paper towel, and place it in your sneakers to deodorize them.Rub coffee grounds in your hair before washing to add extra shine.

To me, coffee already smells bad, (like feces). I can't imagine whether foot odor or coffee grounds would be more of an unappetizing odor. I don't want to be disrespectful but is this something that you seriously use? How long do the grounds stack in the shoes to provide their effect?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users